gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:47:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Caroline Now! The Songs of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys
5 - 13 (59.1%)
4 - 8 (36.4%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (4.5%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caroline Now! The Songs of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys  (Read 13592 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2006, 07:18:57 AM »

Discuss, review and rate  Caroline Now! The Songs of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, released Aug 8, 2000.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Evenreven
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 06:18:05 AM »

A nice collection. I bought this when it came out, and it opened up my ears to a lot of the seventies material - which surfaced on cd at about the same time. Highlights for me are Stevie Jackson's Good Time, Kim Fowley's Almost Summer, the first released version of Rainbow Eyes, Alex Chilton's I Want To Pick You Up, and The Free Design's Endless Harmony - a horrible song completely redeemed by this stunning version. All in all, a 4.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 02:28:36 PM »

this is a great collection of rare stuff....Stevie is great...Go Away Boy, reminds me of something Lennon would submit for the Beatles...Busy Doin nothin sounds wierd but great...not a big fan of the singer who took on Almost Summer, it sounds drunkly slurred, it's kinda annoying...Big Sur, Good Timin' sounds great...Honkin Down the Highway sounds sounds like the country way i always heard it as.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 06:11:01 AM »

This has been released on double white vinyl  - http://www.marina.com/marinanews.html   . finest beach boys tribute imo . 5 all the way

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 08:31:03 AM »

'Rainbow Eyes' is so much better then Brians version.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 02:09:20 PM »

Great collection. I wish there would be a volume 2. Only thing I totally dislike is Kim Fowley's introduction to "Almost summer".
But it's very cool to see how these songs even sound good in other musical styles. It even makes me like some of that electric-stuff.
I could live without the french-version of "Girl don't tell me" though.
Anyway it's the best tribute I have heard yet. 5 stars.

I also like the artwork. The pics of the Beach Boys are fantastic and don't try to create that surf-image.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Vlad
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »

Just joined this board and like the work that AOI has put in in putting all these album threads up. I'd suggest you don't frop them due to old age.
New joiners like me will appreciate them.
Anyway...I have always liked Caroline Now - a chilled way to listen to BW's music. One of the best tribute albums in my view.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 02:03:32 PM »

5 out of 5, definitely! A big round of applause should go to David Scott (= The Pearlfishers) and Duglas T. Stewart fpr producing most of the tracks. Chip taylor and Evie Sands are just great. Outstanding: Pet Sounds by Germany's top movie composer of the sixties, Peter Thomas,  done all by himself in his place of retirement St. Tropez - the guy must be in his mid-seventies now.

Watson, did you hear this?
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 01:17:29 PM »

Having been on a recent odyssey through many of the BW/ Beach Boys tribute albums, IMO this is definitely one of the very best, if not the best, due to the generally strong versions/ performances, good song choices (from classics to obscurities) and the willingness to do something different with the material. An overall very pleasant listening experience.

Recommended  Cool
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 10:06:57 PM »

Awesomeness! I love the Roy Orbison-ized Honkin' Down the Highway and French Girl Don't Tell Me. The only track I don't really care for is Lines...A wimpy Scottish dude singing the "She's gonna tell him" part just doesn't seem to work once you're used to Carl's aggressive take on it.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 02:42:38 AM »

Awesomeness! I love the [...] French Girl Don't Tell Me.
Yeah! I mean... look at her!  Happy Dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzGvpYx5HoY
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx