gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 08:47:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PREVIOUSLY UNSEEN 1973 BEACH BOYS CONCERT PICTURES (& new article)  (Read 12692 times)
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:43:29 AM »

PREVIOUSLY UNSEEN  1973 BEACH BOYS CONCERT PICTURES (&  new article)

Check out the BACK THOUGH THE OPERA GLASS website (www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com) for some EXCLUSIVE 1973 concert photographs (not seen for over 35 years !) – taken at the Hollywood Palladium concert that gave us the sleeve pictures for the Beach Boys In Concert album ! A RARE GLIMPSE of Brian included !! Also included is a great timepiece/article from the era …
Go to the above link / Click on Part 2 / Enter & Highlight the ‘In Concert’ LP / Scroll down the page !
Enjoy !!

Thanks to my good friend Rob Shepherd on this one !  Cool
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:00:29 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 09:12:30 AM »

your site is really great but sometimes it sure is maddening not being able to click on pictures to see a larger size Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:14:38 AM »

So great ! That site is one of the best, if not the best BBs-site out there imo.

Is that the same coat Brian wore on the Pet Sounds-cover?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 09:36:31 AM »

your site is really great but sometimes it sure is maddening not being able to click on pictures to see a larger size Smiley
I agree. Surely those pictures must be larger than that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »

LOL - yes, I accept that I DID reduce the size of the pictures so that they 'fit' into the overall page and text, but I take on board what you're saying - so I'll put up a 'link' page from the article that'll feature only the pictures, but in LARGER scale !
Thanks for the good words so far ...  Grin
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:53:17 AM by Malc » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 10:15:48 AM »

Yeah, same feelings here. There should be a law: 'Everyone Tooting His Own Horn In A Loud Voice Should Provide Large Colour Pictures So As Not To Cause Undue Disillusions'.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:41:50 AM »

Extra link added for larger images ...  Afro

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 11:50:46 AM »

Extra link added for larger images ...  Afro

Thank you sweetie! I love you... Cool

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 01:20:59 PM »

Great, cool stuff. Looks like Mike is playing keyboard in one of the pics.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »

I thought that, and a review of the time said it too. Looking at the angle he's at though, I think he's balanced the woo-woo machine on the keyboard to play. I think he used the keys as a brace for Good Vibes, because there's a mike there too, whereas for Wild Honey he didn't need to sing, right? So he played it sat on the floor as in the picture on the LP cover.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »

Where is the link for larger images? I couldn't find it. Flash sites are so confusing for me.... I'd really like to see those pix in more detail -- thanks.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:47:26 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
MBE
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 09:18:13 PM »

Man I wish that guy would have stayed off the stage. I really would have loved to see what Brian looked like then. So few pictures of him were taken from early 72 until late 1974 or so, by which time he looked like a different man.  It is great to read the story though and the pictures are super cool. 8 Beach Boys on one stage how about that!
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 11:45:34 PM »

Where is the link for larger images? I couldn't find it. Flash sites are so confusing for me.... I'd really like to see those pix in more detail -- thanks.

At the end of the article - before the Rolling Stone review ...  Cool

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »

Oh, I misunderstood -- I thought you meant you could click on a photo and look at it in more detail.

Thanks for putting the story and pix up.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 12:34:42 PM »

There's a link on the page to bigger pictures.

Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »

Would anyone happen to know the Complete set list for the Palladium show of April 20,1973?
"Beach Boys In Concert" is my all time favorite album and I got it as a Christmas present in 1973 at age 10.Knowing the LP as well as I do these "lost" pictures from that show are bringing back so many excellent memories of that era and Album.

Thanks,
Big Bri
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »

Quote from: Aegir
There's a link on the page to bigger pictures.

Thanks for the tip. It took some deep digging and a different browser to find them, but I did finally get there. It's on the last page, but they are worth seeking out.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 01:04:47 AM »

PREVIOUSLY UNSEEN  1973 BEACH BOYS CONCERT PICTURES (&  new article)

Check out the BACK THOUGH THE OPERA GLASS website (www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com) for some EXCLUSIVE 1973 concert photographs (not seen for over 35 years !) – taken at the Hollywood Palladium concert that gave us the sleeve pictures for the Beach Boys In Concert album ! A RARE GLIMPSE of Brian included !! Also included is a great timepiece/article from the era …
Go to the above link / Click on Part 2 / Enter & Highlight the ‘In Concert’ LP / Scroll down the page !
Enjoy !!

Thanks to my good friend Rob Shepherd on this one !  Cool

What page has that picture of Brian?

edit

Ahh... I found it
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:09:37 AM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 12:30:27 AM »

So great ! That site is one of the best, if not the best BBs-site out there imo.

Is that the same coat Brian wore on the Pet Sounds-cover?

Rocker - you have made a very astute observation concerning Brian's coat!  I'm the guy who took the April 20, 1973 Hollywood Palladium photos on Malc's site, and I got a chance to see the coat up close when talking to Brian and Marilyn after the concert.  I had never made the connection before, but I think there is a very good chance that the coat he wore the night of the Hollywood Palladium concert is the exact same one he wore seven years earlier at the San Diego Zoo photo shoot for the cover of Pet Sounds.
MBE
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 12:33:18 AM »

With his hair, weight and beard did he look more like the Brian on Holland or the Brian on 15 Big Ones?
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 03:44:38 PM »

With his hair, weight and beard did he look more like the Brian on Holland or the Brian on 15 Big Ones?

My recollection of Brian Wilson the night of April 20, 1973 is that he was beardless and looked basically the same as he had in the Sunflower, Surf’s Up, and Holland era photos. 

I had last seen Brian at the Dec. 3, 1971 Long Beach Arena concert, first on stage and then during the encore when he and wife Marilyn left the concert walking between the front row and the stage, passing right in front of me and other concert goers.  (No, I didn’t have front row seats, but during the encore a number of audience members, including myself, made our way down the aisle and up to the front.)  Interestingly, I recall Brian wearing a long black coat both in 71 at Long Beach and 73 at the Hollywood Palladium, and, as another Smiley Smile poster pointed out, it appears that that coat may very well be the exact same one he wore for the Pet Sounds cover.

In the interest of providing as accurate an answer as possible, I also emailed by friend Ralph, with whom I attended both the 71 and 73 concerts, and asked for his recollections of Brain’s appearance, without mentioning my recollections, so as to avoid predisposing him to a given answer.  He said, “My recollection is that Brian essentially looked the same in April 73 as he did in December 1971, no beard and not very overweight.  He looked pretty much like photos on the Sunflower and Holland albums.  I believe the first time I was aware of his blimping out and full beard was when I saw the cover of 15 Big Ones.  He was really immense on the BB Special when the CHP cites him for failing to surf.”

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 06:16:18 PM »

And he looked very "15 Big Ones-ish" in photos from 1974 (the one with Jim Pewter, and the one where he's in the pool with the Endless Summer gold or platinum record). 

So...Brian still looked like "Brian" in April of '73 (despite being well into the "reclusive" period he says he got into upon returning from Holland), but looked like the Abominable Snowman a year later.  Which tends to support my theory that the REAL decline for Brian (and for Dennis) began with Murry's death (June of '73).  Brian and Dennis may have been significantly troubled prior to that (Brian more so than Dennis), but I think it took the catastrophic event of their father's passing to completely change their perononalities and looks, if you will.  After that, I just don't think they were ever the same people (at least outwardly). 
MBE
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 04:16:25 AM »

Thanks Custom Machine for the reply. I saw a picture from early 73 from the Iowa sessions and Brian looked a touch heavier then normal but still more like the old Brian-same thing with the Holland pics. So since this was April that makes sense. It was such a big and swift change that it's always good to know the info. How lucky you were to see the last two concerts Brian was at before the big decline.

C-Man I think you are right. Dennis still looked pretty good until the end of 76 but by the end of 74 his voice was gone and his marriage had ended. Brian we know didn't sound bad until 1975 but by the Pewter pics he looks terrible. Basically the real Beach Boys died with Murry.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 04:24:57 AM »

Basically the real Beach Boys died with Murry.

I know it's kind of stupid, but I've always wondered what would have happened if they never fired Murry and they somehow could have sorted their differences out. I mean would much have been different?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:26:45 AM by mikeyj » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 05:02:35 AM »

Basically the real Beach Boys died with Murry.

I know it's kind of stupid, but I've always wondered what would have happened if they never fired Murry and they somehow could have sorted their differences out. I mean would much have been different?

Brian might have gone crazier sooner.  Wink
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx