gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:05:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Song: Pick Up The Stars  (Read 2731 times)
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:44:23 PM »

After writing what I felt were rather slow and dull songs, I decided to take the risk and try writing a rock song. Nothing hard rock, but more pop/rock, I suppose. I never really branched into rock in general because I never felt I could do it, so this is really nothing more than an attempt to write a "single," if you will. Of course, it still sounds nothing like a rock song, but, nonetheless, it's still a very basic demo, and the lyrics will be replaced, as it's nothing more than me making stuff up (I don't even know what the title means), and the vocals will definitely be redone (and vocals like mine should not be singing a rock track, even I know that), but this is just a basic start with me doing everything that you hear on the track. So why post it? Well, I am definitely curious on feedback about the song itself. Is it good, is it horrible, does it have potential? If so, what would you do?

Thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit:  http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=103443
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:41:30 PM by Matthew M. » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 06:09:32 PM »

This link leads to a "Delete File" option, not a download.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 06:41:50 PM »

Oh geez, I didn't even catch that.  Thanks for that, Luther.  Updated the link. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 06:59:11 PM »

Nice enough song, and I think you're wrong when you say voices like yours ought not do rock songs. If it's a good enough kind of voice for Paul McCartney or Emmitt Rhodes, I'd say you can do it, too. For my personal taste, the intro in particular is a bit longer than I like--I just prefer to get into the meat. I also don't like the sound of the acoustic guitar in the left channel and think the drums are a bit overbearing, both in the mix and in terms of doing what feels like a fill every time there's any space. But I love the dirty guitar sound, and the "and when she goes..." bit that first happens at around 1/3 to 1/2 way through is nice--I like the guitar moving to that sort of bass-like riff (reminds me of late Beatles). The slower part right after that is also cool.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 01:09:26 AM »

Nice. The drums in particular give it a Beatles flavour (Something like 'I'm so tired'? or other White album stuff) but there are other Beatles references coming through too.  I like it when the echoey vocal bit comes in, there's a lot of good stuff packed in the song and with a more slightly honed production you would have a good pop-rock record. Good work!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx