gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680821 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:48:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 57692 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2009, 03:10:52 PM »

M Ward's new Hold Time.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

Boys And Girls.I give you Cumbernauld Town Centre!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2009, 02:28:25 AM »

Fleet Foxes of course.

Also been dipping into The Mark Wirtz Orchestra & Chorus and some Bruce Haack

On the subject of the Mark Wirtz Orchestra.  Has anyone heard his version of "I Can Hear Music".  The backing like a cross between the BB's version and a sort of Wall of Sound/early Velvet Underground kinda feel with a Dusty Springfield soundalike on vocals. It's excellent.

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »

Working on a McCartney comp and pulled out Back In The U.S. I don't wanna sound too extremist, but I think Paul's vocal on this live version of "Let Me Roll It" is one of the best of his CAREER!

EDIT: "Jet" rocks too, and I'm actually enjoying "Freedom", much better than the single version, I think...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:52:29 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2009, 05:43:34 PM »

Working on a McCartney comp and pulled out Back In The U.S. I don't wanna sound too extremist, but I think Paul's vocal on this live version of "Let Me Roll It" is one of the best of his CAREER!

EDIT: "Jet" rocks too, and I'm actually enjoying "Freedom", much better than the single version, I think...
If you have Ram, make sure you give a few good listens to "Back Seat of My Car." THAT'S an extraordinary song, you can tell Paul was influenced by the BB on that one!

I could talk about Macca all day...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2009, 06:01:56 PM »

If you have Ram, make sure you give a few good listens to "Back Seat of My Car." THAT'S an extraordinary song, you can tell Paul was influenced by the BB on that one!

Oh, yeah, that's a great song. I put on Disc 2 of Wingspan the other day, and I was surprised at how many "Brian" influences I heard. Every couple of songs I was saying, "That's so Brian".

In a way, Paul McCartney is like Brian Wilson in interviews. Whenever Paul is asked about his favorite albums/songs, influences, and The Beach Boys, he always gives his stock answer about Pet Sounds. But, he rarely adds anything about BW/BB's other works. I hear a lot of 1967-1972 BW/BB influence on Paul's solo stuff.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »

Oh, yeah, that's a great song. I put on Disc 2 of Wingspan the other day, and I was surprised at how many "Brian" influences I heard. Every couple of songs I was saying, "That's so Brian".

In a way, Paul McCartney is like Brian Wilson in interviews. Whenever Paul is asked about his favorite albums/songs, influences, and The Beach Boys, he always gives his stock answer about Pet Sounds. But, he rarely adds anything about BW/BB's other works. I hear a lot of 1967-1972 BW/BB influence on Paul's solo stuff.
Of course, I hope you clue my in when you finish that comp...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »

Now I'm enjoying Flaming Pie, especially "Young Boy", "The World Tonight", and "Little Willow". Paul sang really well on that album; a lot of diverse songs, too. One of favorite albums.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2009, 08:44:04 PM »

I like it a lot, too. In fact, it was the album that got me interested in solo McCartney. I was a big Beatles fan, but disliked all the solo stuff I had heard at that point. That turned me on and convinced me to give it (or take) a few chances. I still don't like the majority, but because of Flaming Pie, got things like Ram that I may not have otherwise.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 08:53:56 PM »

For some reason, I've been reading Wikipedia entries lately; it does give you some interesting antecdotes.... Flaming Pie went to No. 2 on the album charts - kept out of No. 1 by the Spice Girls! Flaming Pie was also nominated for a Grammy as Album Of The Year - won by Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2009, 12:01:05 AM »

I love McCartney...very underrated and overshadowed by the Lennon myth, IMO. I almost think he is better post-Beatles.

I hear a lot of late sixties Beach Boys influence on him too...amoung tons of other influences.

Bossanova by the Pixies.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »

I almost think he is better post-Beatles.

No "almost" involved for me. While I think Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are the two best Beatle solo albums, it's Ram, George's All Things Must Pass, then a boatload of Paul before you'd get to another John album.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »

Definitely. But I meant I like paul McCartney's stuff better in the seventies than his stuff in the sixties. It's a statement I'm not one hundred percent convinced of, but I really think that the Beatles breakup, in the end, liberated Paul in a lot of ways...a lot of positive ways. I don't think that any McCartney album approaches the best Beatles albums, however--because of the Beatles' magic blend.

Anyway. NO Depression, Uncle Tupelo.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:07:17 AM by lance » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2009, 08:08:31 AM »

Oh, I see. I can't say I'd agree with that, then: I prefer Paul's Beatle music to Paul's solo music, on the whole. But I really do think he's gotten a terribly unfair rap overall: he "just" writes catchy pop while Lennon tackled the big issues ... blahblah. I respect a good pop song more than a self-righteous grandstand.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »

"Biker Like An Icon".....I don't care. I like it.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2009, 10:16:48 AM »

LOL
We like the same artists, but totally different songs and albums. But Off the Ground had some good moments.

I'm gonna stand by it, McCartney, RAM, Band on the Run Red Rose Speedway, Venus and Mars and London Town are all very good albums. In my opinion, in sum, there are at least as many decent McCartney songs in the seventies as in the sixties and perhaps more. Critics can kill me, but I'm saying it boldly and unequivicably.

He starts getting shaky in the eighties, but what sixties artist didn't?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2009, 11:14:14 AM »

He starts getting shaky in the eighties, but what sixties artist didn't?
Lou Reed, aside from Mistrial, was probably more consistent in the 80s than the 70s. But overall, no doubt, the 80s saw a lot of "classic" artists losing their way. It actually makes sense, with the entire recording process so wholly different than the one they came of age withy, not to mention the sudden dominance of visuals because of MTV. And thus

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »

The Paul is Live version is many times better, faster and rocks...

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2009, 02:45:40 PM »

"Time And Place" by Lee Moses, it's from 1971, one of the greatest, if not THE greatest soul album ever recorded. Deep, raw soul.

Intense, funky, bluesy and full of emotion. Worthy of the title 'overlooked classic'.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »

joan of arc
make believe
cap n jazz
the love of everything
lady gaga
dionne warwick

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2009, 09:21:46 AM »

The Paul is Live version is many times better, faster and rocks...

Yes, great version, especially with the guitar solo. "Biker Like An Icon" is an example, to me anyway, why Paul McCartney (like Brian Wilson) is so great. Yeah, it's not the greatest song he ever wrote, but I can't get it out of my head. There's so many hooks in that song. I just keep singing, "She loved her biker like an icon...." Well, not really singing. Cheesy
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2009, 03:46:08 PM »

Jan Berry - How how I love her

Fucking great song !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2009, 07:10:27 AM »

"Perfect Day".....Happy 67th Birthday, Lou Reed! Cool
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2009, 02:25:34 PM »

Listening to the Surfin' Safari album. I've been on a big early surf 'n' cars-era BBs kick the past couple of days!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »

Low Budget......pardon my shows they don't quite fit they're a special offer and they hurt me a bit......

IM ON A LOW BUDGET
WHATS THAT YOU SAY?
IM ON A LOW BUDGET
I THOUGHT YOU SAID THAT!

Music for the times indeed!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2009, 08:28:39 PM »

"Chelsea Girls" by Nico. I like the haunting sound of this song, but I understand Nico didn't....
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx