gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680870 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 09:22:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your personal SMiLE mix  (Read 31245 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2010, 08:43:39 AM »

OK, I'm stating the obvious here, but, did you ever notice the similarities between "Do You Like Worms" and "I Love To Say Dada", specifically the nautical theme, the Hawaiian/water chants, and the bass.

I'm always looking for that follow up song to "Do You Like Worms", preferably another "water/ship" song. What about "I Love To Say Dada" following "Do You Like Worms"? It kind of keeps the ship chugging along until it lands.

Then I have to find a follow up song to graft onto "The Water Chant" after "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow". I've been toying with mixing "Diamond Head" into "The Water Chant"; those sparks/ping pings and thunder that begin "Diamond Head" sound cool following "The "Water Chant", and then you're really into the water. The only thing is, "Diamond Head" is a very questionable song for a SMiLE mix - if you're a purist. Anybody?

I don't know - Diamond Head's a great song to put in a smile mix as it fits so well, and is so atmospheric that it really hammers home and consolidates the hawaiian elements of Smile. Anyway if you want to be purist about it, might aswell toss away the complete Cabinessence, seeing as it's from 20/20 an' all, plus any Mark Linnet mixes that have come from the GV box - my point being, I think a smile mix can legitimately incorporate tracks from later albums. A truly purist 66/67 only smile mix would be a pretty fragmentary listening experience I think. I wish someone would do such a mix though - would be nice to listen to a mix that was completely 66 67 bits, raw & unedited.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2010, 02:11:08 PM »

Mine is composed mostly of the PC mix with a few additions because the mono on some tracks is actually vastly superior in sound to PC's forced stereo (particularly on Wind Chimes), and I subtract "Holidays" because I'm sure that would have stayed an outtake or would have been used on the SMiLE follow up, and it doesn't really fit in the middle of the Elements suite, as BWPS has it, even with the Wind Chimes coda attached.

1. Our Prayer/ Gee
2. Heroes and Villains -- the long version with the linking segments in the end and the Cantina sequence.
3. Do You Dig Worms? -- original title, version where the piano seamlessly segues into the Bicycle Rider sequence, I also added in the vocal overdub version of the opening on it's second appearance in the track.
4. Barnyard/ The Older Master Painter/ You Are My Sunshine
5. Cabinessence
6. Wonderful - mix fades into Song for Children
7. Song for Children
8. Child Is Father of the Man
9. Surf's Up - not the 70's version, original demo with the added instruments and other overdubs.

10. I'm in Great Shape/ I Wanna Be Around
11. Workshop/ Vegetables
12. Wind Chimes -- mono mix, added the "whispering winds" chant at the beginning that fades into the track, and an additional "booming chorus" after the bridge, then it fades out with the "wind chime" piano sequence
13. Cool Cool Water -- mix puts I Love to Say Dada at the end, added echo effect on the chanting middle part (sounds awesome)
14. Mrs. O'Leary's Cow -- added an additional two rounds from another take, no fire effects, but PC added the "Fall Breaks" chants, which sounds good. I put it after Cool Cool Water (although Brian probably would have done it the other way for thematic purposes), I find the track rather climactic, so I put it last in the elements suite.
15. Heroes and Villains --  this is the minute long piano sequence found as a part of the H&V sessions which fades into the "Bicycle Rider" instrumental, quickly segueing out to...
16. Good Vibrations -- PC's "creative liberty" mix with added session vocal overdubs at the end and the extended coda that halts rather than fades out.
17. You're Welcome  (as a hidden track)

Then I also include the tracks "He Give Speeches" (the longer version with the overdubs, and an additional instrumental section I compiled from the first 30 seconds or so that fades out at the end) "Tones" and "Holidays" as bonus tracks. I used to include "Tones" in right between "Do You Dig Worms?" and "Barnyard" but I found it really dragged the album out too long.  

Interesting. Very interesting. Thanks for posting it. A couple of questions...

- Do you fade out "Heroes And Villains" with the rambling "False Barnyard"?

- What is your theory putting "Cool Cool Water"  BEFORE the fire?

- Do you like "Good Vibrations" at the end or couldn't you settle on a place for it? Cheesy

- Do you use "Song For Children" from BWPS or "I Ran"?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »

OK, I'm stating the obvious here, but, did you ever notice the similarities between "Do You Like Worms" and "I Love To Say Dada", specifically the nautical theme, the Hawaiian/water chants, and the bass.

I'm always looking for that follow up song to "Do You Like Worms", preferably another "water/ship" song. What about "I Love To Say Dada" following "Do You Like Worms"? It kind of keeps the ship chugging along until it lands.

Then I have to find a follow up song to graft onto "The Water Chant" after "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow". I've been toying with mixing "Diamond Head" into "The Water Chant"; those sparks/ping pings and thunder that begin "Diamond Head" sound cool following "The "Water Chant", and then you're really into the water. The only thing is, "Diamond Head" is a very questionable song for a SMiLE mix - if you're a purist. Anybody?

I don't know - Diamond Head's a great song to put in a smile mix as it fits so well, and is so atmospheric that it really hammers home and consolidates the hawaiian elements of Smile.

Do you or anybody else use it? One of these days/years I hope to stumble on why it was on an early setlist for BWPS live.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »

I'm confused about the "Spanish Guitar" tune. This isn't "Indian Wisdom"? not sure if I've heard it.

I put Little Pad and Diamond Head back-to-back on my SMiLE mix. If you cross-fade the two songs on the last "verse" of Little Pad, the actual music for Diamond Head starts just as Little Pad fades out.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2010, 06:46:56 AM »

...One of these days/years I hope to stumble on why it was on an early setlist for BWPS live.

While this is not a documented certainty, my understanding why it was included in eary setlists is because the original idea in 2002/2003 was to perform SMiLE-era songs live (or, at least, rare ones from that period), not just specific numbers that would have been considered SMiLE tracks in '66/'67. It's possible as well that "Diamond Head" was considered for the live show's first half, before the performance of BWPS. "Time To Get Alone" was also included in the early set list and, as Mr. Doe has pointed out, that song was performed a few times in the first half of the show during that period (although, apparently, not all that successfully).
Meade
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2010, 02:07:18 PM »

Mine is composed mostly of the PC mix with a few additions because the mono on some tracks is actually vastly superior in sound to PC's forced stereo (particularly on Wind Chimes), and I subtract "Holidays" because I'm sure that would have stayed an outtake or would have been used on the SMiLE follow up, and it doesn't really fit in the middle of the Elements suite, as BWPS has it, even with the Wind Chimes coda attached.

1. Our Prayer/ Gee
2. Heroes and Villains -- the long version with the linking segments in the end and the Cantina sequence.
3. Do You Dig Worms? -- original title, version where the piano seamlessly segues into the Bicycle Rider sequence, I also added in the vocal overdub version of the opening on it's second appearance in the track.
4. Barnyard/ The Older Master Painter/ You Are My Sunshine
5. Cabinessence
6. Wonderful - mix fades into Song for Children
7. Song for Children
8. Child Is Father of the Man
9. Surf's Up - not the 70's version, original demo with the added instruments and other overdubs.

10. I'm in Great Shape/ I Wanna Be Around
11. Workshop/ Vegetables
12. Wind Chimes -- mono mix, added the "whispering winds" chant at the beginning that fades into the track, and an additional "booming chorus" after the bridge, then it fades out with the "wind chime" piano sequence
13. Cool Cool Water -- mix puts I Love to Say Dada at the end, added echo effect on the chanting middle part (sounds awesome)
14. Mrs. O'Leary's Cow -- added an additional two rounds from another take, no fire effects, but PC added the "Fall Breaks" chants, which sounds good. I put it after Cool Cool Water (although Brian probably would have done it the other way for thematic purposes), I find the track rather climactic, so I put it last in the elements suite.
15. Heroes and Villains --  this is the minute long piano sequence found as a part of the H&V sessions which fades into the "Bicycle Rider" instrumental, quickly segueing out to...
16. Good Vibrations -- PC's "creative liberty" mix with added session vocal overdubs at the end and the extended coda that halts rather than fades out.
17. You're Welcome  (as a hidden track)

Then I also include the tracks "He Give Speeches" (the longer version with the overdubs, and an additional instrumental section I compiled from the first 30 seconds or so that fades out at the end) "Tones" and "Holidays" as bonus tracks. I used to include "Tones" in right between "Do You Dig Worms?" and "Barnyard" but I found it really dragged the album out too long. 

Interesting. Very interesting. Thanks for posting it. A couple of questions...

- Do you fade out "Heroes And Villains" with the rambling "False Barnyard"?

- What is your theory putting "Cool Cool Water"  BEFORE the fire?

- Do you like "Good Vibrations" at the end or couldn't you settle on a place for it? Cheesy

- Do you use "Song For Children" from BWPS or "I Ran"?

My Heroes and Villains is essentially the PC mix, so it segues into Do You Dig Worms?. The "reprise" is just there for my own personal liking, and comprises a minute long segment from one of the Heroes and Villains sessions that I liked but didn't want to include in the actual track.

I know Brian would have probably had Cool Cool Water come after fire as a means to "douse" it, but personally I just like it coming afterward because it sounds like such a climactic track. I clipped the very end of "I Love to Say Dada" (which is the tail end of Cool Cool Water), so that the final beat actually becomes the opening kazoo whistle for the Mrs. O'Leary's Cow... it's a seamless transition that just sounds cool... you have all these "wa wa ho wa..." sounds just cruising along and then all of a sudden "knock!" and you're submerged in the pandemonium Mrs. O'Leary's Cow. Then at the end it rumbles to a pounding finish and becomes the Heroes and Villains piano reprise... almost as a way to regain some balance after the destruction and to connect the main parts of the Elements suite to the grand finale Good Vibrations... the vibrations themselves almost representing the presence of a "fifth element" coming in at the very end. I do think that Brian had intended the Heroes and Villains theme to be used in various areas throughout the album.

Personally I like Good Vibrations at the very end. I was one of the people who got into Smile only after hearing BWPS (in fact, that album got me into the Beach Boys to begin with), so my version tends to mirror the released one because I figure if it were released, for the most part, it probably would have had somewhat of a similar line up to the released one eventually with a few exceptions. It's very likely that Good Vibrations would have gone at the end. I think it's possible that "I'm in Great Shape" could have gone with "Barnyard" because they both seem to have agricultural themes and I know Brian was envisioning a "down on the farm" kind of suite at one time.

I have the PC mix of Song for Children, that segues into Child is Father of the Man, and doesn't include the children's theme in the middle (the one that goes "dee dee dee daa doot...dee dee dee daa doot... dee deet da deet dee dee, doot." --don't know what it's called).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:17:08 AM by Meade » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2010, 11:13:06 AM »

I have the PC mix of Song for Children, that segues into Child is Father of the Man, and doesn't include the children's theme in the middle (the one that goes "dee dee dee daa doot...dee dee dee daa doot... dee deet da deet dee dee, doot." --don't know what it's called).

That part was from a song called "12th Street Rag".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »

Here's my mix:

(Prayer)
Heroes and Villains
Do You Like Worms
I'm In Great Shape (+Barnyard/I Wanna be Around/Friday Night)
The Old Master Painter (+Sunshine/Barnshine)
Cabin Essence
Wonderful

Good Vibrations
Vega-Tables
Wind Chimes
The Elements (Fire/Water Chant/Dada)
Child Is Father Of The Man
Surf's Up
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2010, 06:39:24 PM »

Here's my mix:

(Prayer)
Heroes and Villains
Do You Like Worms
Cabin Essence
Wonderful

Good Vibrations
Vega-Tables
Wind Chimes
Surf's Up

I'm wondering if this is close to how it might've come out in late '66/early '67, with a Side A and a Side B, of course. Meade had a very similar setlist in a previous post, too....

And, Roger Ryan, you're right, "Mama Mama Mama" does sound real good grafted to the end of "He Gives Speeches". I'm also experimenting right now with grafting "The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine" to the end of "He Gives Speeches"; doesn't sound as good as "Mama Mama Mama, though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:17:01 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2010, 02:48:35 PM »

Here's my mix:

(Prayer)
Heroes and Villains
Do You Like Worms
Cabin Essence
Wonderful

Good Vibrations
Vega-Tables
Wind Chimes
Surf's Up

I'm wondering if this is close to how it might've come out in late '66/early '67, with a Side A and a Side B, of course. Meade had a very similar setlist in a previous post, too....

Thank you for your comment. That's kind of what I was aiming for. As per Brian's sequence on BWPS, I mostly put the Americana stuff on side one, and Wonderful seemed to work pretty well in that context, and also seemed to segue into Good Vibrations on the second side-- both songs have a sense of innocence. The second side gets progressively "heavier" moving toward the end. I really like having Child is Father to the Man right before Surf's Up on side 2 since they deal with aging and mortality.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2010, 06:25:24 PM »

Hey everyone. This thread finally convinced me to register. I'm all for speculating about what 1967's Smile would have been like, but fan mixes always kind of bug me. It's either some fan stereo mix that doesn't quite work (not that some aren't amazing), or the inclusion of what I consider the unusable version of Barnyard that gets thrown around or something like that. I've taken a more retrospective, practical approach. My mix tries to capture the appeal of all the session tapes/bootlegs while keeping the cohesion of an actual album. My tracklisting was inspired by one of my favorite Smile essays, where the author speculates on the connection between Smile and Zen Buddhism. Furthermore the ordering is supposed to in some ways recreate the story of Smile itself.

1. Prayer [Without "Gee"]
2. Good Vibrations
3. Medley; Wonderful, Vege-Tables, Wind Chimes [Comprised of Smile takes]
4. Do You Like Worms [Edited as a sort of intro to Heroes]
5. Heroes and Villains ["You Are My Sunshine" Tag]
6. Cabinessence
7. Fire/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop
8. Medley; Vege-Tables, Wind Chimes, Wonderful [Comprised of Smiley Smile takes]
9. Water/Child is the Father of the Man
10. Surf's Up

I've made a lot of special modifications myself. There are lots of little snippets of studio banter, I've used the Hawthorne version of With Me Tonight in the medley and just random other stuff like that.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2010, 12:26:43 AM »

This looks like a pretty good play list.  Short and sweat but you hit all the key points.  Now the question is how long can you stay with this mix before you want to tinker with it and make your next "very last final" Smile mix.  I have quit lying to myself--I will never be completely satisfied.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2010, 05:03:23 AM »

....I've used the Hawthorne version of With Me Tonight in the medley....

Me too! Since Brian says in the Hawthorne track "If you sing this with a SMiLE...", I had to use it. Cheesy.

Where do you place it?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2010, 06:41:37 AM »

Now the question is how long can you stay with this mix before you want to tinker with it and make your next "very last final" Smile mix.  I have quit lying to myself--I will never be completely satisfied.

I'm with you, brother. After many years of being a purist, I'm thinking about adding SMiLE-era songs like "Diamond Head", "Cool Cool Cool Water" (from the Wild Honey sessions), and the "Spanish Guitar". They're so good, I hate to leave them off! Cheesy
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2010, 01:23:49 PM »

....I've used the Hawthorne version of With Me Tonight in the medley....

Me too! Since Brian says in the Hawthorne track "If you sing this with a SMiLE...", I had to use it. Cheesy.

Where do you place it?

You know, when I hear Brian say that, for some reason it gives me goose bumps.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »

Ya know, even though Da-Da is musically like CoolWater I tend to use the second day takes of it and...Voila! you get AIR. I'm gonna try an edit of the two days work and see if I can use that after woodshop, which of course comes after Fire...hmmm.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2010, 08:43:33 PM »

For fun, I've wanted to make a real "earthy" earth segment by putting the "Swedish Frog" vocals over the fade to Vegetables music.  Smiley
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2010, 07:01:50 AM »

Ok I've come up with a new sequence that is really doing it for me, and giving me those 'just-heard-smile-for-the-1st-time goosebumps:

Our Prayer
Heroes Pt 2 (basically my edit comprising Gee, followed by all the dit dit Heroes bits as found in 'Heroes Sections' but ending with Prelude To Fade)
Barnyard
Heroes & Villains Cantina version
Old Master Painter
Cabinessence (Vigotone version with no vocals other than Doing Doings) OMG those Doings are the most beautiful things I'v evr heard!
instrumental Cabinessence fade
All Day (Da Da bird sounds) segues beautifully into...
Holidays
Windchimes
Tag to Heroes part 1 (lone piano thing, really follows nicely from piano outro of windchimes)
Heroes intro
Fire
IWBA/Workshop - definitely rebuilding after the fire. Was meant to follow Fire imo
Vegetables - Fade sounds so watery, and so ...
Water Chant
Love to say Dada (my edit, that ends with the piano part that definitely sounds like a sketch for a 3rd part to Dada. This section sounds similar to the woodchuck piano thing from Child)
Do You Like Worms - the weird early version from Vigotone. Wow, just stumbled upon this the other day, and don't know how I'd overlooked it. Was like hearing fresh smile material for the first time. It's low-fi but reminds me of My Bloody Valentine or something. Incredible. Plus it says "Good Vibrations Take 1" at the end which leads nicely into ...
Good Vibrations
Wonderful (Yodel ay ee oo version)
Look
Surf's Up (Track only)
Surf's Up demo
You're Welcome

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2010, 08:07:49 AM »

This is a mix I've been fiddling with for a bit:

"You guys feelin' the acid yet?" (clip from session talk)
Prayer (with laughter at the end)
1) Heroes And Villains (a mix of the Cantina & Smiley versions)
"Somebody bring Mike another bag of money" (session clip)
2) The Old Master Painter/Sunshine
3) Do You Like Worms
With me Tonight (the "Sing that with a smile" clip from Hawthorne CD)
4) Wonderful
Little Pad intro w/laughter
5) Cabin Essence
6) Child Is Father of The Man

You're Welcome
7) Good Vibrations
Cool Wind Chimes
9) I'm In Great Shape (w/Barnyard and Swedish frog)
10) Vega-tables (a mix of cornucopia/Smiley versions)
11) The Elements
I Wanna Be Around
H&V Intro from boxed set
Mrs. O' Leary's Cow
Workshop
water chant/Da Da
George Fell Into His French Horn
12) Surf's Up
Bicycle Ride tag from DYLW
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:11 AM »

Hmmmm... lemme think about this.... this isn't a complete tracklist, just a rough idea.

SIDE ONE: AMERICANA
01) Our Prayer
-The Heroes And Villains Suite-
[ 02) Heroes and Villains (Part 1) with 'Cantina' / ends with clip-clop and harmonica
[ 03) Bicycle Rider / Do You Like Worms? / ends with "doo d-do do do doo... doo... doo!" and rising harmonies, instead of "woo woo woooooo..."
[ 04) Heroes and Villains (Part 2) staring with 'Gee' and ending just before 'Swedish Frog'
[ 05) I'm In Great Shape (piano demo) / ends with 'Swedish Frog'
[ 06) Barnyard
[ 07) The Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine, with the downward cello sliding into...
[ 08) Heroes and Villains (Part 2), from "a-heroes!  a-heroes!" onward, ending with a full chorus and 'False Barnyard'
09) Cabinessence

SIDE TWO: CHILDHOOD
01) He Gives Speeches
02) Wonderful
03) Look [full length, with the sections not used in BWPS]
04) Child Is Father Of The Man
05) Surf's Up

SIDE THREE: BAG OF TRICKS
01) You're Welcome
02) Good Vibrations [original lyrics + hum de dum section]
03) Rock With Me, Henry
04) My Little Red Book
05) With Me Tonight / Heroes and Villains reprise [the "Reprise" track from Mok's Smile]
06) George Fell Into His French Horn [heavily edited]
07) Tones
08) Good Vibrations reprise [organ-led version of 'gotta keep those lovin' good...' bridge]

SIDE FOUR: THE ELEMENTS
01) Vega-Tables
02) Holidays / Whispering Winds
03) Wind Chimes
04) Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
05) I Wanna Be Around / Workshop
06) Water Chant / I Love To Say Da Da
07) Our Prayer reprise [from section heard on BWPS to the full version's natural ending]

I'm *very* unsure about Side Three - that's just my 'filler side'.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:28:26 AM by TheLazenby » Logged
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2010, 03:25:42 PM »

Where does one find such elusive gems like Rock With Me Henry, Little Red Book, Tones (the actual Tones.  I've heard Holidays listed as Tones), and Indian Wisdom?  I've never located them, not that I'd try any illegitimate releases.  Also, I'm still a little unclear on what constitutes False Barnyard and Fade to Vegetables.  Any insight would be most appreciated.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2010, 03:49:34 PM »

Rock With Me Henry is a variation of Wonderful - I own it on the Odeon digipack "Smile", as well as the Unsurpassed Masters "Smile".

Little Red Book is, I believe, on the Vigotone "Smile".  And YouTube!

Tones, several versions of it, are on "Secret Smile".

Indian Wisdom.... I don't know if this is properly titled, but on the 'Big Grin' version of "Smile", this title was given to the "Untitled Instrumental" that appears every now and then.  It's given the 'Untitled' name on Project SMiLE for instance.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2010, 06:25:09 PM »

I've been fooling around with the idea of "flowing in" the cornicopia verse from the early Vega-Tables demo with the "standard" 1967-ish version with all the construction tool sounds. Would this work at all?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2010, 08:05:51 PM »

Something that came up in another thread, what unheard smile elements still exist? I imagine that at this point everything that still exists has been discussed. It's possible things like the instrumental track for the second half of Surf's Up were recorded, but I've read that all these "believed to have been recorded but still unheard" songs had been confirmed missing from the tape vaults. If there are still unheard things in the vaults, why hasn't someone like David Leaf or Darian brought their existence to our attention?

Also, what exactly is False Barnyard? I've read that it is a version of You Were My Sunshine that was part of Heroes and Villains? Just for the sake of reference, where has this appeared? I've never seen it before.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2010, 08:47:46 PM »

Something that came up in another thread, what unheard smile elements still exist? I imagine that at this point everything that still exists has been discussed. It's possible things like the instrumental track for the second half of Surf's Up were recorded, but I've read that all these "believed to have been recorded but still unheard" songs had been confirmed missing from the tape vaults. If there are still unheard things in the vaults, why hasn't someone like David Leaf or Darian brought their existence to our attention?

Also, what exactly is False Barnyard? I've read that it is a version of You Were My Sunshine that was part of Heroes and Villains? Just for the sake of reference, where has this appeared? I've never seen it before.

False barnyard is the minute-ish long fade at the end of the cantina mix of heroes and villians, and it uses the falsetto melody from "he give's speeches." It was mislabeled as barnyard because the original fade to heroes and villians was the actual barnyard.  When the real barnyard was rediscovered on an acetate, it became known as false barnyard.  then we found another acetate, which had the same fade with extra vocals about "when skies are gray" and realized that it had originally been intended as the fade to You Were my Sunshine (which makes you were my sunshine a full two minute song).  Thus, it became known as "barnshine." 

for such questions, the old smile shop is a great resource: http://www.thesmileshop.net/index.php/Old_Master_Painter_/_You_Are_My_Sunshine

a really fun site to explore! 
as for unheard smile elements, if we knew about them, they wouldn't be unheard!! 
seriously tho, our only real hope is in acetates.  I'm personally holding out hope for the collection of one M. Love...I have a feeling he would have kept all the acetates im sure brian gave him, and he's also the only one i can imagine who might not have mentioned them to the official archivists.   

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx