gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:50:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rufus Wainwright to cover a SMiLE! medley  (Read 8723 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2008, 12:35:24 PM »

Link: http://www.looktothestars.org:80/news/1780-springsteen-chooses-rockers-for-charity-album

Springsteen Chooses Rockers For Charity Album

December 23, 2008 by Tim Saunders

The long-delayed Heroes charity album will finally get its release in February, and anticipation is already high from music fans and musicians alike.

“We’d already done ‘Atlantic City’ at a charity benefit, so we kind of had an arrangement worked up, so we decided to record that,” Craig Finn, lead singer with The Hold Steady told XFM radio after Bruce Springsteen chose the Brooklyn-based band to cover his song for Heroes. “It’s a pretty fun song, and I’m pretty happy with our version of it. We’ve been compared to Bruce Springsteen a lot, and he is a hero to all of us. It’s flattering that he’d think of us, given the choice. We hope our version of the song conveys the respect we have for him as an artist.”

The album will raise money for War Child, and features a series of once-in-a-lifetime collaborations between some of the best known names in the music world and up-and-coming stars – a concept that mirrors one of the intrinsic aims of War Child’s worldwide efforts in war zones across the world – to place faith in the next generation. Stars such as Sir Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, and Brian Wilson have selected one of their best-known classic songs and nominated a new artist to record a cover of the track. Artists taking part include Beck, who will cover Dylan’s Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat; Rufus Wainwright, who will perform a medley from Wilson’s Smile; and The Kooks, who will cover The Kinks’ Victoria.

“I have been supporting War Child since 1995,” said McCartney, whose 1973 hit Live and Let Die is being covered by Duffy for the album. “Their work with children in war zones saves lives and their work with those who take decisions that help them to do something about it saves even more lives. I think Duffy’s version of ‘Live And Let Die’ is great – I was really impressed. The breadth of talent on this project is amazing; it’s great that so many people gave their time, energy and support to this initiative. I urge everyone to support War Child.”

The album will be released on February 16, 2009.

Wainwright is an interesting selection. I really like the job he does covering other artists - I especially enjoy his work on Leonard Cohen's stuff. Also what I great idea to have Duffy cover McCartney's Live And Let Die - everytime that girl opens her mouth I hear a Bond theme about to explode out of the speakers!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 04:15:20 PM »

The bit that gets me out of all this is that *Brian* apparently nominated Rufus!

Whoever's passing him the albums has good taste...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 04:21:44 PM »

Whoever's passing him the albums has good taste...

Van Dyke is an artist they have in common, so perhaps him.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »

As much as I like Rufus, I'm having a hard time hearing him sing songs from Smile. His voice doesn't seem suited for the material. Then again, maybe he would sound great on Surf's Up.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »

I could imagine a melodramatic Wind Chimes.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 06:21:46 PM »

Smile "medley" just makes me think of Our Prayer/Gee/Heroes and Villains.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:23:54 PM »

I can't hear Rufus covering that material, either.  It doesn't suit his voice at all.  Oh, well.  Maybe it will expose more people to "Smile," so that might be good for Brian, at least.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 09:58:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere else its H&V...not sure how great it will be though. Never really heard a Smile cover I've liked that much, except maybe the Laughing Gravy's Vegetables, but Brian was on that one. And I guess Sandy Salisbury's On and On She Goes is good too. But like, Apples In Stereo and other modern interpretations...no thanks

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 11:38:36 PM »

I'm a big fan of Rufus, so I'm greatly looking forward to hearing whatever he does.  It does seem odd to think of his voice on SMiLE songs, but I think it could work to great effect on some of them...like Amy suggested, I think he would do a killer version of "Surf's Up." 

Rufus is talented enough to make it work, no matter which songs are a part of the medley.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 02:16:21 AM »

Rufus was interviewed for the David Leaf SMiLE documentary.  I like his stuff, particularly the first album.  Less keen on the last one.  Prefer his dad's stuff, however.

Honk! Honk!
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 10:45:56 AM »

His first album is really great. VDP did the orchestral parts if I remember correctly.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 11:28:07 AM »

Would be nice if Brian decided to cover Rufus' "California" in return.....  Wink

"California
You're such a wonder that I think I'll stay in bed
So much to plunder that I think I'll sleep instead"
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »

Brian would sound great on Rufus' "April Fools," at least the hook, but I agree "California" would be a great choice...

I'm awaiting this medley with lots of excitment...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 03:47:15 AM »

Wainwright has recorded Wonderful/Song For Children. Excellent choice!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 04:45:19 AM »

We are in for a treat.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 05:21:41 AM »

My favourite part of BWPS! I think as time goes on and Smile songs are covered using the BWPS template, Brian's 2004 sequence is further legitimised, imo anyway. I'm really looking forward to this cover.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 05:46:27 AM »

My favourite part of BWPS! I think as time goes on and Smile songs are covered using the BWPS template, Brian's 2004 sequence is further legitimised, imo anyway. I'm really looking forward to this cover.

I'd go so far as to infer that the SMiLE songs (as so many BW songs) will become like songs in classical music: open to re-interpretation infinitely. Some new versions will be not so lucky, others will make us see the original versions in a new light. Think: Four Last Songs, think: Richard Strauss, to name but one.

I bet that Rufus' take will firmly belong into the latter category.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »

I'd go so far as to infer that the SMiLE songs (as so many BW songs) will become like songs in classical music: open to re-interpretation infinitely. Some new versions will be not so lucky, others will make us see the original versions in a new light. Think: Four Last Songs, think: Richard Strauss, to name but one.
I bet that Rufus' take will firmly belong into the latter category.

This was the argument I used to counter arguments that BWPS 2004 is not "legitimate." I said, "Why can't the two stand side by side, like different interpretations of a classical piece?" Why not?  And if you like one but not the other, or you like both or neither, you're no less of a fan, and you can accept others' feelings about various versions. I surely hope that in 100 years, people are putting on performances of Smile, whether pieces from it or from beginning to end.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 03:48:35 PM »

I surely hope that in 100 years, people are putting on performances of Smile, whether pieces from it or from beginning to end.

I certainly hope that will be the case as well.  I think by that time, whole albums will be performed, just like a classical piece is today.  SMiLE, Pet Sounds, Pepper, and other classic albums will be re-interpreted and performed by each succeeding generation. 

That's really what BWPS was, a re-interpreted performance of a "classical" work that happened to involve the original creator.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 12:54:52 PM »

... bump ...

It looks like Mr/Ms Rufus has completed his/her SMiLE medley and its avaiable for listen via this link:

http://www.chartattack.com:80/news/65813/exclusive-listen-rufus-wainwright-covers-brian-wilson

Unfortunately I can't listen to it because the actual play link does not come up on my screen - I'm guessing it's because I don't live in the USA and therefore don't qualify under the US government's new protectionist policies and/or intellectual property protection laws ... (just joking  Evil).
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 03:55:56 PM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001O5ZNYS?ie=UTF8&tag=warchi08-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B001O5ZNYS

You see him record it for a while, interesting.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »

Good god that was awful.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 04:34:57 PM »

Good god that was awful.

The final track actually sounds quite good. It's very well done. I don't like Rufus' voice, but it's hard to argue with the result otherwise.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 06:57:26 PM »

Good god that was awful.

The final track actually sounds quite good. It's very well done. I don't like Rufus' voice, but it's hard to argue with the result otherwise.

I think one of the things I really disliked was the rhythm guitar. SMiLE is mostly piano music.

Wonderful and Look do not sound good with a guitar replacing the piano.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »

There is guitar in the IJWMFTT version of Wonderful, isn't there? I think the nylon string guitar is entirely appropriate for the song. It's not like it's the god-awful 80s distorted guitar of Brian's Landy years.

I'd also add that any song worth its salt can withstand arrangement for another instrument.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx