gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:54:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Midnight's Another Day  (Read 6722 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2008, 03:42:05 PM »

There's a thread about Midnight's Another Day up on the blueboard now in which many people (including the esteemed AGD) call it one of Brian's best songs. I happen to agree.

So I'm curious about what you all think of it, having lived with it (or maybe chosen to ignore it) for a while now. Some people here are not very impressed with TLOS. What about MAD on its own? Is it the best thing he's done in decades? Does it stand up there with Brian's best? Or is it mediocre?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 04:04:40 PM »

Definitely not mediocre, definitely one of his best, a classic...his best since "Melt Away", and probably since "Til I Die".  TLOS on a whole, in my opinion, is his best non-SMiLE solo work.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 04:04:53 PM »

I don't get too much into ranking, considering a favorite today is a fourth-favorite tomorrow is a ninth-favorite the next day is a favorite the next. But I think it's wonderful. A very, very good song. All time classic? Ask in five or 10 years. But really good. I very much enjoy it. I've literally teared up listening to it. That can't be a bad sign.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 05:01:01 PM »

I like it. But I like half of TLOS, Live Let Live from the Arctic Tale soundtrack, the Christmas album, some of GIOMH and a few tracks on Imagination more.

Long story short, I don't think it's better than anything else he's done, but I like most of what he's done.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 05:03:46 PM »

I think it's one of his best-ever songs.  I can't think of too many Brian has written or co-written that are better.

There are parts where I wish they could have gotten a better vocal out of Brian.  But that's mainly a quibble because if they had, I think they could have had a hit with it...it has that timeless quality.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 07:45:31 PM »

I really like the album and I have to say that when I saw Brian and his band do it-they surpassed the album-Brian really gave a great performance and actually did some real singing (in a way stronger voice than when I saw him in 2002 or even when I saw him at Festival Hall in 2004)..while the spoken word stuff seemed a little odd on record..it actually works well on stage.  Honestly-I feel that the reunion thread made more sense last year-where he seemed to be treading water a bit-but I can't see him doing it now
PhilCormier
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 08:05:24 PM »

I love that song.  I remember feeling funny for liking it early on, like I was embarrassed about liking it.  When I saw it performed as part of TLOS last month...it moved me.  I loved every minute of TLOS live, and MAD was the high point.  Of course I like Fairy Tale from GIOMH too.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 08:56:39 PM »

The other day, I must've listened to Fairy Tale on loop for about four or five hours.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 09:40:50 PM »

It's, by far, the best track in TLOS. By miles. But the lyrics suck.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »

It's the best song  Brian has done since Til I Die, easy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 10:03:55 PM »

It's hard to measure ballads vs rockers etc. So, restraining to songs roughly in the same style of MAD, what about "The Night Was So Young"? "Still I Dream of It"?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 10:52:55 PM »

Melt Away is about the only solo Brian composition I like better.  MAD is really a moving piece of work.  It's a great song for a guy in the twilight of his career.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 12:22:23 AM »

It's hard to measure ballads vs rockers etc. So, restraining to songs roughly in the same style of MAD, what about "The Night Was So Young"? "Still I Dream of It"?
Okay, best released song, as I like Still I Dream of it better, and Everybody wants to live just once. As for The Night was so young....this may be an unpopular opinion, but I fucking HATE Carl's vocal on it. Hell, anybody remember what I said about it a long time ago on this same message board? Something like Peter Cetera gargling with battery acid, or something equally as harsh. Yeah, it was THAT bad to me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
DAMAGED
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 12:28:12 AM »

I totaly love TLOS & MAD. Though, MAD is a great song Southern California seems to tug at my heartstrings much more.
I enjoy listening to TLOS & like every track. I don't get too hung up on "crappy lyrics" or "corny song" I just listen on face value & I love it all.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 12:30:13 AM »

The whole package works: the melody, the lyrics and above all Brian's performance. The demo is definitive (but then, of course, the CD version is largely the demo anyway). It still moves me to tears. Hopefully a career capstone - he won't top this one. Magnificent, toweringly magnificent.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 12:41:05 AM »

Very good. Is it his best solo song?  Right up there. Do I rank it with his 63-74 work? Very close to it but not quite. Of course that's an impossible thing in my book because he was so good then.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 12:57:03 AM »

I love it. It's a joy to hear that Brian can still write killer songs like this. I don't prefer it, but it holds it own against similar songs such as The Night Was So Young, Still I dream of It, Melt Away, Till I Die which should make any BW fan jump for joy.

I like Message Man almost as much - probably my 2nd favourite from the TLOS sessions!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 03:16:46 AM »

It's a great song.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 03:25:16 AM »

It's a great song.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 03:55:28 AM »

When I saw it performed as part of TLOS last month...it moved me.  I loved every minute of TLOS live, and MAD was the high point.
I really like the album and I have to say that when I saw Brian and his band do it-they surpassed the album-Brian really gave a great performance and actually did some real singing (in a way stronger voice than when I saw him in 2002 or even when I saw him at Festival Hall in 2004)..while the spoken word stuff seemed a little odd on record..it actually works well on stage.

I agree with both of you, TLOS live was just that much more moving... that's just me personally... and don't get me wrong, I still love the album but it was just so much better live. As for MAD, I think it's his best solo song and certainly it ranks (for me) up there with his best compositions.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 12:24:19 AM »

There's a thread about Midnight's Another Day up on the blueboard now in which many people (including the esteemed AGD) call it one of Brian's best songs. I happen to agree.

update: there WAS a thread on MAD on the Blueboard...

what happened?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 04:35:34 AM »

update: there WAS a thread on MAD on the Blueboard...
what happened?

There was an argument (not about the song), so the thread was deleted, looks like. THere is still some discussion of the song there, though.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 06:05:55 AM »

hmm, read something like that too... why not simply delete the specific posts instead of a complete topic?

o, well, it's not my business anyway ...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 06:18:53 AM »

hmm, read something like that too... why not simply delete the specific posts instead of a complete topic?

o, well, it's not my business anyway ...

It's the nature of the Blueboard. The name 'Dick van Dyke' does not even pass the filter there. They are, um, conservative.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 06:30:36 AM »

I agree with both of you, TLOS live was just that much more moving... that's just me personally... and don't get me wrong, I still love the album but it was just so much better live. As for MAD, I think it's his best solo song and certainly it ranks (for me) up there with his best compositions.

I agree almost 100%. The live performance elevated the entire piece quite a bit for me. MAD is a great song, close to Til I Die in the way it impacts me.

I strongly recommend you listen to the NPR stream of the live show from Washington DC. The recording is superb, far superior to the CD.  What surprised me was how complex and how intricate the arrangements and orchestration are, even live (in person) it was hard to pick up on all the subtleties and flourishes.

TLOS is full of wonderful songs - MAD, Live Let Live, Southern California,  and of course the stunning Can't Wait Too Long snippet. As good as MAD is, I find myself more and more involved with Southern California and FSBMSG.

I agree with AGD - I think over time TLOS will be looked on with more and more respect and admiration.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx