gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:01:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Midnight's Another Day  (Read 6759 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 06:38:13 AM »

I agree with both of you, TLOS live was just that much more moving... that's just me personally... and don't get me wrong, I still love the album but it was just so much better live. As for MAD, I think it's his best solo song and certainly it ranks (for me) up there with his best compositions.

I agree almost 100%. The live performance elevated the entire piece quite a bit for me. MAD is a great song, close to Til I Die in the way it impacts me.

I strongly recommend you listen to the NPR stream of the live show from Washington DC. The recording is superb, far superior to the CD.  What surprised me was how complex and how intricate the arrangements and orchestration are, even live (in person) it was hard to pick up on all the subtleties and flourishes.

TLOS is full of wonderful songs - MAD, Live Let Live, Southern California,  and of course the stunning Can't Wait Too Long snippet. As good as MAD is, I find myself more and more involved with Southern California and FSBMSG.

I agree with AGD - I think over time TLOS will be looked on with more and more respect and admiration.

My idea exactly. Nothing to add here.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 06:52:51 AM »

hmm, read something like that too... why not simply delete the specific posts instead of a complete topic?

o, well, it's not my business anyway ...

It's the nature of the Blueboard. The name 'Dick van Dyke' does not even pass the filter there. They are, um, conservative.

That's quite an oxymoron

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 07:27:56 AM »

hmm, read something like that too... why not simply delete the specific posts instead of a complete topic?

o, well, it's not my business anyway ...

It's the nature of the Blueboard. The name 'Dick van Dyke' does not even pass the filter there. They are, um, conservative.

That's quite an oxymoron

It is, sir, it is. Just like in: 'Wild Honey' is a badly produced mono record.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 09:46:39 AM »

There's a thread about Midnight's Another Day up on the blueboard now in which many people (including the esteemed AGD) call it one of Brian's best songs. I happen to agree.

update: there WAS a thread on MAD on the Blueboard...

what happened?

Someone called me on my statement that the intro was something Scotty wrote some time ago, I supplied the source (p. 76, the 11/08 issue of Mojo), he disputed it, it got ugly.

To reiterate, to these ears "MAD" is the best thing Brian's given us since the "'Til I Die/Sail On, Sailor" era. Truly twilight's last gleaming.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:48:58 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 09:51:39 AM »

There's a thread about Midnight's Another Day up on the blueboard now in which many people (including the esteemed AGD) call it one of Brian's best songs. I happen to agree.

what happened?

Someone called me on my statement that the intro was something Scotty wrote some time ago, I supplied the source (p. 76, the 11/08 issue of Mojo), he disputed it, it got ugly.

To reiterate, to these ears "MAD" is the best thing Brian's given us since the "'Til I Die/Sail On, Sailor" era. Truly twilight's last gleaming.

I concur

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 10:19:42 AM »

what happened?

I concur

I agree. And since it's such a peaceful day with only agreement, why don't we all have sex together?

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 10:39:53 AM »

Out of curiosity, am I the only one here who isn't quite so highly impressed by MAD? I much prefer "Going Home," "Southern California," and "Morning Beat" over "Midnight."

SG7
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 11:40:55 AM »

Out of curiosity, am I the only one here who isn't quite so highly impressed by MAD? I much prefer "Going Home," "Southern California," and "Morning Beat" over "Midnight."

I share the same setiments with you. Trust me, I loved MAD when I first heard it and it is a wonderful song. However I LOVE the extended version of Southern California on TLOS. To me, each song is like a painting on that album. MAD is like one of Picasso's blue period pieces and Southern California is like Monet's painting of "Garden Path Giverny." As much as I do like Picasso and the anguish that is conveyed through it, I prefer the Monet painting. I like how the song is a reflection piece on his life and how Southern California is central to all of that. At first, I thought it was completly corny myself, but really thinking about it, it is a great song. It is my opinion after all and no one has to take my word for it.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »

what happened?

Without wanting to turn this OT - Re: The other dispute about the Joe Thomas xmas bonus track on WIRWFC...while I don't doubt that you that Brian did this with Thomas, why is Joe Thomas nowhere to be seen on the credits of the WIRWFC CD if he was involved in the said bonus track?

Cheers

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »

One thing I've learned in my 13 years of being a fan is that the honesty & accuracy of credits in the world of BB/BW leaves something to be desired in many cases.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »

[. I like how the song is a reflection piece on his life and how Southern California is central to all of that. At first, I thought it was completly corny myself, but really thinking about it, it is a great song. It is my opinion after all and no one has to take my word for it.

Southern California is probably my second-favorite TLOS song, after MAD. I love the part about falling asleep in the band room and "glad it happened to me." I agree with you that it sounds corny, but it's not, IMO. That section, with the music and how perfectly the lyrics fit with Brian's life really made my heart swell. It's really bittersweet (considering what he went through on his journey) but leaning towards sweet. In fact, when I heard TLOS live, I leaned forward in my seat to hear that section and was disappointed that by that point in the night, Brian's voice was giving out a bit. But that was the only disappointment. That's a damn good song.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 02:05:29 PM »

what happened?

Without wanting to turn this OT - Re: The other dispute about the Joe Thomas xmas bonus track on WIRWFC...while I don't doubt that you that Brian did this with Thomas, why is Joe Thomas nowhere to be seen on the credits of the WIRWFC CD if he was involved in the said bonus track?

Cheers

Same reason he's not credited for the basic production work on "Gettin' In Over My Head", or that Andy Paley's not credited for his work on "Soul Searchin'" & "Desert Drive" - history is being re-written and Thomas is now a non-person (not forgetting the small matter of a 1999 lawsuit). Back when the track was first released, late 1997, it was announced as being a BW/JT co-production. Shame, as it's the best track on the CD in my view. To call it 'precious' doesn't even come close.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilsonista
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 06:09:22 PM »

And yet I can't stand "Joy To The World". Way too "sleazy listening" to me.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 09:18:20 PM »

I'm with Mark H.: I would put "Melt Away" above it, but it's probably the best of the rest of Brian's solo output (not counting BWPS).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »

Same reason he's not credited for the basic production work on "Gettin' In Over My Head", or that Andy Paley's not credited for his work on "Soul Searchin'" & "Desert Drive" - history is being re-written and Thomas is now a non-person (not forgetting the small matter of a 1999 lawsuit). Back when the track was first released, late 1997, it was announced as being a BW/JT co-production. Shame, as it's the best track on the CD in my view. To call it 'precious' doesn't even come close.

Not a new thing, sadly. Look at how Gary Usher got dicked out of "Walkin the Line". That said, I've always felt that there was more to the story.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx