gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:42:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's reaction to Sgt. Pepper  (Read 4336 times)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2008, 06:49:25 PM »

I'm almost certain this has been covered before in a previous thread, but oh well...

My question is, does anyone know what Brian's reaction to Sgt. Pepper was, exactly? I know he's mentioned it before.

See, there's this silly video on youtube where the guy who posted it is running a Beatles vs. Beach Boys poll, and so many of Beach Boy-hating Beatle fans there keep insisting that Brian locked himself in his room for months doing cocaine in response to hearing Sgt. Pepper, which we all know is false. Funny where they get these things. Gee, why don't I lie and say that Paul McCartney almost jumped off a bridge after hearing Pet Sounds?  Roll Eyes

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 06:58:15 PM »

In fact, there's a 6-page thread started on the topic earlier this month. See: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6467.0.html In the Beautiful Dreamer (Smile) DVD it is discussed some.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 07:44:14 PM »

Summer Days, somewhere in the web there's a very detailed account of Bruce Johnston taking a PS advance copy - or something like that - to London and Keith Moon arranging a listening party at a hotel room, which was attended by Paul and John. I think it was told that J&P were 'moved' to say the least and kept whispering to each other's ears for a long time, sitting on a piano. Now, google it. It will be worth it.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 01:38:36 AM »

I heard about that, read it somewhere, Dancing Bear. Made me smile to know Lennon & McCartney dug into Pet Sounds.

Thank you for the link Luther, I thought I saw discussion for this somewhere.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 01:45:58 AM »

I'm almost certain this has been covered before in a previous thread, but oh well...

My question is, does anyone know what Brian's reaction to Sgt. Pepper was, exactly? I know he's mentioned it before.

See, there's this silly video on youtube where the guy who posted it is running a Beatles vs. Beach Boys poll, and so many of Beach Boy-hating Beatle fans there keep insisting that Brian locked himself in his room for months doing cocaine in response to hearing Sgt. Pepper, which we all know is false. Funny where they get these things. Gee, why don't I lie and say that Paul McCartney almost jumped off a bridge after hearing Pet Sounds?  Roll Eyes

Why, he did jump, didn't you know that? They found a lookalike and planted a few tiny indications for diehard Moptop fans. In fact, a milkman from Bstyfnntdwyddych, Wales, proved to be the spitting image of Paul McC. He got one week's training to get rid of his Welsh accent and to become a reasonable bass player (he didn't play anything). Don't tell anyone where you heard this, I am sworn to secrecy by Camilla Parker-Bowles, a huge Pepper fanatic.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 01:53:33 AM »

Why, he did jump, didn't you know that? They found a lookalike and planted a few tiny indications for diehard Moptop fans. In fact, a milkman from Bstyfnntdwyddych, Wales, proved to be the spitting image of Paul McC. He got one week's training to get rid of his Welsh accent and to become a reasonable bass player (he didn't play anything). Don't tell anyone where you heard this, I am sworn to secrecy by Camilla Parker-Bowles, a huge Pepper fanatic.

I just KNEW someone would make a Paul is Dead joke. I was thinking about making one myself, but I'm glad you did it instead, Heartical Don, that was funny, thanks. (Still, makes me wish Sloop Doug B. was around to make a Mike is Dead joke.)

Um, we could go on ahead and lock this thread now. No need.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 09:34:44 PM »

I don't recall where I read it, but I remember reading somewhere that after their preview of Pet Sounds that night, John and Paul went straight to Abbey Road and composed "Here, There and Everywhere."  There is a quite obvious Beach Boys influence on that song, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx