gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:05:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Wilson Christmas song  (Read 11985 times)
Goin’Bald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 04:46:57 AM »

I haven't quite liked this song for as long as I know the song (yes, it's that old), but this is a cover I can live with.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 05:00:20 AM »

I don't think Brian has been given enough credit recently for his inventive arrangements of the various standards he's been covering over the past few years. When I first saw this thread I imagined what his take on "The Christmas Song" would be like, but Brian confounded those expectations in a very good way. That weird "happy/sad" opening was a big surprise and the counterpoint backing vocals near the end really helped take the track to a higher level. This is light years beyond his "Silent Night" and "Christmas Day" song-gifts from earlier this decade...and further proof that he should not be subservient to someone like David Foster if Bruce's reunion pipe dream comes to fruition!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:15:56 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 10:19:32 AM »

I really like it. But then, I liked Mike' s thing last Xmas (is that still available somewhere?). Aren't Xmas records supposed to be crammed full of sleigh bells and cheesy harmonies? I shall put this on Xmas morning.

You mean Santa's Goin' To Kokomo? Liked that one as well... somehow... It's still available at youtube. Have to say that Mike's singing still sounds very good to these ears and that I'd love to hear a bit more from him. Give me an album full of songs like Cool Head Warm Heart and I'd be happy. Not TLOS-happy, but still kind of happy anyway. After all, these guys won't be around forever...
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 02:52:37 PM »

Sounds good . . . I like Darian's vibe parts.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 10:01:27 PM »

I have to admit it's starting to grow on me. Honestly, I hated it when I first heard it. Now, I can say it's not bad at all, although I really prefer the original and am not too crazy about the arrangement.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 06:47:16 AM »

haha, same, it's really growing on me.

Played it about 20 times yesterday.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 09:36:07 PM »

Now, I can say it's not bad at all, although I really prefer the original and am not too crazy about the arrangement.
What do you consider the "original"? This is a Christmas standard, tons of people have done it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 11:48:52 PM »

Ahh, the Nat King Cole version, of course. I love that song. Brian was 4 years old when it  originally came out, although the famous version of it (and the one I'm talking about) was a version that Cole remade in 1961, which was the year the Beach Boys debuted, coincidentally enough.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:51:10 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 01:04:14 AM »

I can't stop listening to that intro, it'd be fantastic to hear on my oldies radio station; i heard them use the 'Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, I'll be seeing you in 88'

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx