gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:24:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Wilson Christmas song  (Read 11957 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2008, 01:43:07 PM »

Anybody checked out Brian's cover of "The Christmas Song" from brianwilson.com?

Honestly...not on of his better covers. The double-tracking on his lead sounds off to me. The voice itself sounds good, but something about the whole recording seems off. I think it's the tempo that's throwing me off.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 01:47:05 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:48:19 PM »

The percussion sounds like it's from a different song...I don't know how much I like it....but really, Brian is so good to fans around Christmas time, he's always presented something to else for the past years.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 02:14:56 PM »

Yeah, I'm thinking the percussion has a lot to do with it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:27:59 PM »

It sounds... very odd. Too busy.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:16:49 PM »

Beautiful.
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »

l like it oddly enough
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 06:01:09 PM »

It wouldn't be Christmas without a critique of Brian's 'gift'  would it? Roll Eyes
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »

Actually, it wouldn't be the SmileySmile Message board if we didn't critisize it. I mean, we're not the Blueboard here, we don't worship the newspaper BW craps on....  LOL

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 06:16:48 PM »

I would suspect these Christmas songs are thrown together pretty quickly by whoever is in town with a few hours to spare...and it shows!

But who cares?

I think a concert or product you pay for is fair game. Anything else, enjoy it for what it is. Wink
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 07:11:42 PM »

Lead vocal sounds 'slurry' but, hey, thanks Brian!  Enjoyable.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 07:19:28 PM »

It's a middle-of-the-road Christmas tune for Brian. Nothing great but not bad and has a decent homely feeling. As AGD said, too busy. Vocal is good but not great. Honestly he sounds more excited on the spoken intro than on the song...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »

It sounds really good. I don't see what the problem is with the percussion. Thanks Bri!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 08:27:01 PM »

I think BW's version of The Christmas Song sounds fabulous.  Great instrumental intro, patterned after Wouldn't It Be Nice.  Yeah, the percussion, done by Brian, combined with Darian's vibraphone, gives the song a 'swimmy-watery' sound, but I like the effect.  

I have a HUGE preference for Brian's mellow style lead vocal on this track, as opposed to his shouting style lead found on much of his recent work, including most all of the "All I Really Want for Christmas" album.  Plus, the double tracking helps to soften BW's lead vocal.  I especially like the background vocals, all of which are done by Brian.  

I've had this song streaming continually from BW's website for the past hour, and I'm totally enjoying it.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 08:39:01 PM »

I'm not familiar with this Christmas standard, I guess there must be a few better renditions out there. That said, it's a good song, a nice track, the lead vocals are ok and the piano riff - performed by Brian - in the intro may be nothing new, but it gave me a smile.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 09:20:29 PM »

I'm not familiar with this Christmas standard, I guess there must be a few better renditions out there. That said, it's a good song, a nice track, the lead vocals are ok and the piano riff - performed by Brian - in the intro may be nothing new, but it gave me a smile.

The most famous version is the one by Nat King Cole, which is my 2nd favorite Christmas song ever recorded (very slightly behind "Merry Christmas Darling" by the Carpenters).

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 10:58:50 PM »

I kinda liked it...nothing mindblowing by any means, but Brian sings it well.  His backgrounds sounded decent too. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 12:10:08 AM »

Delaney's "Hi" sounds a lot like her cousin Jonah's "Hi" at the beginning of The Trader.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 12:19:58 AM »

Nice background vocals, nice lead vocal, a busy production but I like it.

Great stuff.  Thanks Brian!  That's really all I can say.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 12:57:57 AM »

Is it just me or is this where part of the melody of Just Like Me And You probably came from?

Anyway, it's a nice enough Christmas tune, which in terms of overall style reminds me a lot more of Al's Big Sur Christmas than of BW's very own holidays album.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 06:25:54 AM »

Very pleasant and seemingly heartfelt....yet unlikely to be heard on the radio often.

Lots of elements of the BW sound circa 1966-70 give it a familiarity.

Wonder if there is an outake with the lyrics kids in the 60s sang:
"Chipmunks roasting on an open fire.....etc."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 07:20:07 AM »

I think it's fantastic, better than anything on WIRWFC.

What a nice gift from Brian.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SG7
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 10:48:50 AM »

It's not that bad. Nice thing to put out for the fans.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 11:58:10 AM by shelter » Logged
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 02:54:15 AM »

I really like it. But then, I liked Mike' s thing last Xmas (is that still available somewhere?). Aren't Xmas records supposed to be crammed full of sleigh bells and cheesy harmonies? I shall put this on Xmas morning.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 02:58:41 AM »

Aren't Beach Boys records supposed to be crammed full of sleigh bells and cheesy harmonies?
Fixed.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx