gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:45:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Annette talks about "Monkeys Uncle"  (Read 9022 times)
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »

Here is the only time Ive ever seen Annette talk about her recording career.
She recorded her vocals just like Mike Love!
She talks about "Monkeys Uncle " towards the end of the clip.
http://www.clipser.com/watch_video/625147
Astroray

Cook pork throughly
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »

why hasn't The Monkey's Uncle ever been released on a Beach Boys CD?  It's a sin.  I have to think they've scraped the bottom of the barrel (pun elective) for obscure & unreleased old BB tracks on all the modern day CD compilations, yet this one tune isn't even (apparently) on the horizon as such.  Why not, just because it's an Annette record?  Everybody knows there's just as much Brian heard singing as there is our favorite and puppy-loved late Mouseketeer, not to mention a fine Carl Wilson lead guitar solo.  If Dennis didn't play drums on certain Beach Boys studio recordings he certainly did on this one.  Brian has had a couple recent solo CD's with the Disney organization, certainly he could leverage a licensing of this one almost forgotten song to Capitol
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »

I love this track! Brian should bust it out one night with one of his daughters singing the lead or something.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »

it's watching the fabulous Fendertones performance of The Monkey's Uncle that continues to remind me of the old Annette/Beach Boys track.  the Fendertones certainly wouldn't have bothered with it had it not originally contained a major Beach Boys component

i seem to recall some Brian interview from the late '60s where he states a desire to produce an Annette album!!!!!  that's Brian to a 'T'.  think of the (lost) possibilities
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 03:01:43 PM »

why hasn't The Monkey's Uncle ever been released on a Beach Boys CD?  It's a sin.  I have to think they've scraped the bottom of the barrel (pun elective) for obscure & unreleased old BB tracks on all the modern day CD compilations, yet this one tune isn't even (apparently) on the horizon as such.  Why not, just because it's an Annette record?  Everybody knows there's just as much Brian heard singing as there is our favorite and puppy-loved late Mouseketeer, not to mention a fine Carl Wilson lead guitar solo.  If Dennis didn't play drums on certain Beach Boys studio recordings he certainly did on this one.  Brian has had a couple recent solo CD's with the Disney organization, certainly he could leverage a licensing of this one almost forgotten song to Capitol

I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm 99.9% sure that it's been proven that it was Hal Blaine playing the drums on "Monkey's Uncle" and Tommy Tedesco playing the guitar solo, but both "dumbing it down" to sound like teenagers at the request of producer Tutti Camarata (Annette's producer).

EDIT: Yep, Badman's book lists the tracking session as occurring on Tuesday, June 16, 1964, at Sunset Sound, with no Beach Boys in attendance.  Musicians listed are: Hal Blaine (drums), Steve Douglas (saxophone), Gene Estes (likely tambourine), Jay Migliori (saxophone), Bill Pittman (listed as guitar, but likely bass), and Tommy Tedesco (guitar).

Lee
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:27:04 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:13:37 PM »

why hasn't The Monkey's Uncle ever been released on a Beach Boys CD?  It's a sin.  I have to think they've scraped the bottom of the barrel (pun elective) for obscure & unreleased old BB tracks on all the modern day CD compilations, yet this one tune isn't even (apparently) on the horizon as such.  Why not, just because it's an Annette record?  Everybody knows there's just as much Brian heard singing as there is our favorite and puppy-loved late Mouseketeer, not to mention a fine Carl Wilson lead guitar solo.  If Dennis didn't play drums on certain Beach Boys studio recordings he certainly did on this one.  Brian has had a couple recent solo CD's with the Disney organization, certainly he could leverage a licensing of this one almost forgotten song to Capitol

Dunno who you are, but when someone appears out of nowhere and starts posting stuff that's almost willfully inaccurate, they'd best be pretty think-skinned. Jus' sayin'.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 03:17:33 PM »

EDIT: Yep, Badman's book lists the tracking session as occurring on Tuesday, June 16, 1964, at Sunset Sound, with no Beach Boys in attendance.  Tutti Camarata producing.  Musicians listed are: Hal Blaine (drums), Steve Douglas (saxophone), Gene Estes (likely tambourine), Jay Migliori (saxophone), Bill Pittman (listed as guitar, but likely bass), and Tommy Tedesco (guitar).

Lee

Same day as the vocals session (same studio), day before the movie sequence was filmed.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 03:20:39 PM »

Andrew, there was a guy in Sweden that wrote me years ago and swore that the Beach Boys were on Annette's song "No Way To Go But Up."  I had heard that song, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why he would think that.  A few years later I got a low budget LP of ANNETTE'S GREATEST HITS that had the incorrect track order on the label -- "No Way To Go But Up" and "Monkey's Uncle" were reversed.  That explained it!  LOL

Lee
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:12:28 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »

EDIT: Yep, Badman's book lists the tracking session as occurring on Tuesday, June 16, 1964, at Sunset Sound, with no Beach Boys in attendance.  Tutti Camarata producing.  Musicians listed are: Hal Blaine (drums), Steve Douglas (saxophone), Gene Estes (likely tambourine), Jay Migliori (saxophone), Bill Pittman (listed as guitar, but likely bass), and Tommy Tedesco (guitar).

Lee

Same day as the vocals session (same studio), day before the movie sequence was filmed.

Is it likely the sequence used in the movie is edited from more than one take?  Just wondering if it's possible.
Early on Brian is to Annette's left, then as the chorus starts he's suddenly to her right, alongside Carl and Al( as he appears later )

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 03:26:41 PM »

Nah, Brian was a fast mover in those days. Ask Diane...

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »

The instrument track on this recording sounds nothing like the Beach Boys. Of all the great Beach Boys songs that people constantly and erroneously give the Wrecking Crew credit for being the session players on, and all the great Dennis drum tracks that people wrongly assume is Hal Blaine, and all the cool solos that Carl somehow doesn't get credit for, this is one that has absolutely no Beach Boys fingerprint on the tracking session. 
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »

Andrew, you're KILLING me over here!  LOL

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 05:28:37 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdVTCDdEwI
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »

BTW Annette did a terrible Surfin' USA. If you want to hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8xJ-PfBNv8

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »

But she had a great rack!! U.S. youngsters would sit in front of the black and white TV and drool at her "set" and her mouse ears!! M I C    KEY M O US E
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »

But she had a great rack!! U.S. youngsters would sit in front of the black and white TV and drool at her "set" and her mouse ears!! M I C    KEY M O US E

Right!  People didn't care if she could sing when she was bouncing and shaking...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »

Yep! We use to call her Annette Fullajello. She was a strong woman and battled her affliction until the day she passed away.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 09:27:54 PM »

I think this song is one of the clearest and best examples of Brian Wilson's falsetto.  That note he sings at the end of each verse is crazy high, and Brian just nails it, effortlessly.  This was at a time when he was touring and recording a lot, and his voice was very much in shape.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 12:51:02 AM »

Actually I'd rather say her producers / mixers did a bad job, but her rather dull singing shows how good a lead singer Mike is. Or was at times. This recording would probably benefit from a double tracked lead vocal.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »

Wow & I thought Leif Garrett was bad. But here Annette ruining the classic to make it an epic fail. Stick to "Monkey's Uncle" & other fluff, I say, don't touch the best with your boring, mousey godawful voice. Thumbs down!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »

Eh, the style is typical of early sixties girl pop singers like Annette and Shelley Fabares. I'm not bothered by that. What I can't figure out is, why the lyric changes in the second half?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »

Well,  then the whole style is boring. I'm not bothered too if they don't bother covering major acts. Seriously, it's the worst "Surfin' USA" I heard, hands-down! I loathe it as much as the Troggs super-mega-uber-duper-ultra bad cover of GV, which isn't even half truthful to the original, like totally diff. beast.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:02:39 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 12:37:19 AM »

Yeah, her "Surfin'" and "Surfer Boy" covers (related videos to the link you posted) kind of suck as well, but she had an awe-inspiring set of tits.  Cool Guy

And in the end, isn't that what really matters? A good set of genes?

No mas, por favor.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 04:12:19 AM »

Wow & I thought Leif Garrett was bad. But here Annette ruining the classic to make it an epic fail. Stick to "Monkey's Uncle" & other fluff, I say, don't touch the best with your boring, mousey godawful voice. Thumbs down!

Have to agree with you Range Rover.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 04:32:37 AM »

And in the end, isn't that what really matters? A good set of genes?
No. Look, I don't watch the youtube vid if it only has pictures rolling & turning. If it's a concert or clip with motion, then yes, in a way, the visual aspect matters. But in my case - & I thought naively in case of every audiophile, even casual listener - what matters in the end is music. And to me, Annette's cover was the worst among the dozen others *I* heard. If I felt otherwise, I'd of course tell it.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx