-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:58:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NEED HELP: putting together a mixtape
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NEED HELP: putting together a mixtape  (Read 8869 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2008, 12:52:51 PM »

Alright, so I started seeing a lady but with the holiday comming up, it's a bit awkward to give presents when only dating for a short period, so I thought I'd make a comp for her of my favorite tunes (we're still getting to know each other) and as far as I know, the only music she listens to and loves is country (gag!) so I thought I'd ask for suggestions of what to put on there using BB/BW, Beatles, Spector, and Bacharach (my most favored artists). Thanks in advance!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:52:45 PM »

My advice would be don't try to cater it to her tastes: don't try to force lesser, but "rootsier" Beach Boys or country-tinged Beatles music into a country bag just so she'll like it. But don't take the obvious hits that she probably knows and likely isn't a fan of, either. Just take the stuff you like and think she might learn to enjoy. That said, you might want to get her a cool country album, too, just to hedge your bets.  Wink

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:11:12 PM »

I tried that one time with a Beach Boys' mixtape, using Brian's "genius/later" songs instead of earlier "hits". She thought it was OK, but, using her words, "It's so melancholy". When I followed it up with a "hits" tape, featuring "Fun Fun Fun", "California Girls", even "Barbara Ann", she loved it! Go figure.

I know you want to reach her, touch her emotionally, and maybe even impress her. But, my advice to you would be to include a fair amount of fun or happy songs. You don't necessarily have to find country-ish songs by your favorite artists - that could be a follow-up. My suggestions are below; they're simple, maybe "old", but timeless. Who wouldn't like 'em...

The Beach Boys:
"Surfer Girl"
"Fun Fun Fun"
"California Girls"
"Wouldn't It Be Nice"
"God Only Knows"
"Good Vibrations"

The Beatles:
"She Loves You"
"If I Fell"
"I Should've Known Better"
"All My Loving"
"Here There And Everywhere"
"Something"

Phil Spector:
"Be My Baby"
"Then He Kissed Me"
"Baby I Love You"
"He's A Rebel"
"I Love How You Love Me"
"Unchained Melody"

Burt Bacharach:
"This Guy's (or Girl's) In Love With You"
"What The World Needs Now"
"Close To You"
"Walk On By"
"I Say A Little Prayer"
"The Look Of Love"

Is that too much "love"?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »

I ought to clarify, I only meant to avoid hits if she already has a bias against them.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:58:47 PM »

Is Stars and Stripes Vol. 1 out of the question?   Roll Eyes

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 02:33:45 PM »

You wanna melt a woman? Truly, Madly, Deeply by Savage Garden. Works every time.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 03:47:24 PM »

You wanna melt a woman? Truly, Madly, Deeply by Savage Garden. Works every time.
Or "Solar System," by the Beach Boys. That works, too.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 04:46:33 PM »

I find Lazy Lizzie really gets things off to a good start. Really though You Can't miss with ;
Aren't You Glad
All I Wanna Do
Forever
Lonely Sea
Your Summer Dream, as far as the BB go.

Any Warwick/Bacharach tune should be fine.
Beatles are way too obvious to mention.
Spector: Baby I Love You, Spanish Harlem, I love how You Love Me, Blah Blah

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 12:12:52 AM »

My advice would be don't try to cater it to her tastes: don't try to force lesser, but "rootsier" Beach Boys or country-tinged Beatles music into a country bag just so she'll like it.

I disagree completely, both in that the "rootsier" stuff is somehow also "lesser", and in the sense that you shouldn't cater to her tastes. Hell, give her Country Love or Stars and Stripes Vol. 1 if you think she'll actually listen to it!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »

haha, i was actually thinking along the lines of Cotton Fields, Hold on Dear Brother, or Big Sur

~post of the century~
-Mikie

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 06:59:28 PM »

My advice would be don't try to cater it to her tastes: don't try to force lesser, but "rootsier" Beach Boys or country-tinged Beatles music into a country bag just so she'll like it.

I disagree completely, both in that the "rootsier" stuff is somehow also "lesser", and in the sense that you shouldn't cater to her tastes. Hell, give her Country Love or Stars and Stripes Vol. 1 if you think she'll actually listen to it!
If and when he's in a position to truly cater to her tastes, he should. But he said it's a new relationship. The worst thing to do would be to superficially cater. I think it makes more sense to show her who he is and let her take or leave him.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 02:00:29 AM »

Lucinda Williams: 'Lonely Girls'
The Beach Boys: 'Forever'
Leonard Cohen and Ronee Blakeley: 'True Love Leaves No Traces'
Glen Campbell: 'Guess I'm Dumb'
Massive Attack: 'Unfinished Sympathy'
Lowell George: 'Find A River'
Dennis Wilson: 'Moonshine'
Gregory Isaacs: 'Night Nurse'
The Crystals: 'There's No Other (Like My Baby)'
Laura Nyro: 'Triple Goddess Twilight Zone'
Jeff Buckley: 'Hallelujah'
Michael McDonald: 'What A Fool Believes'
American Spring: 'Tennessee Waltz'
Dionne Warwick(e): 'Walk On By'
Petula Clark: 'Downtown'
Gram Parsons: 'Brass Buttons'
Groove Armada: 'At The River'
Bob Marley and the Wailers: 'Wait In Vain'
Buena Vista Social Club: 'Chan Chan'
Ronettes: 'When I Saw You'

OK not according to the demands but a killer CD comp. I think the last song makes for a great segue back into track 1 again. You can't go wrong!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 02:36:52 AM »

Yeah, I haven't actually met too many women who like the Beach Boy, hits or obscurities. Agree with SJS that Good Vibrations, Wouldn't It Be Nice, God Only Knows might be the extent of it.  How about some Nilsson, "The Point" for example. Fine album.  Plus of course any 4 or 5 Dianne Warwick-sings-Bert tracks. Would go for early-mid Beatles stuff, up to Rubber Soul. The SJS Spector suggestions are spot on, but also, how about his Christmas album?
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 08:13:07 AM »

Of course, we all hope it works out for you. But if you find it doesn't, a compilation featuring the following might help her get the wrong idea.

Roller Skating Girl, Still Cruisin', Hey Little Tomboy, Lady Lydia, I Wanna Pick You Up, It's Over Now...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 02:55:02 AM »

Of course, we all hope it works out for you. But if you find it doesn't, a compilation featuring the following might help her get the wrong idea.

Roller Skating Girl, Still Cruisin', Hey Little Tomboy, Lady Lydia, I Wanna Pick You Up, It's Over Now...

You forgot Beatrice From Baltimore, seguing into Marcella. With condoms, of course.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 01:06:11 AM »

Speaking of Marcella, anyone have a clue what the original lyrics were to this song that made them unsuitable?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 04:53:16 AM »

Alright, so I started seeing a lady but with the holiday comming up, it's a bit awkward to give presents when only dating for a short period, so I thought I'd make a comp for her of my favorite tunes...

So, what did you come up with?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »

1. Time to Get Alone
2. What Goes On?
3. Country Air
4. He's a Rebel
5. Here There and Everywhere
6. Walking in The Rain
7. California Saga
8. Good Time
9. She's Leaving Home
10. Wake the World
11. Don't Pass Me By
12. Good to My Baby
13. This Could be The Night
14. South America
15. When the Deal Goes Down (Dylan)
16. Michelle
17. Woncha Come Out Tonight?
18. Add Some Music To your Day

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 04:48:22 PM »

That should be good.  My sister is into country and I think she would like that comp.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 05:20:03 AM »

Very interesting mix, punkinhead. Any chance that your friend's name is Michelle?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 02:57:03 PM »

not a chance, Ashley.....  Cheesy

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 03:00:35 PM »

So, what was her reaction? Huh
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 04:21:41 PM »

She enjoyed it a lot surprisingly!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »

OK, then, see you at the wedding. You're welcome.  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 09:40:01 AM »

haha thanx

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: