gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:16:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Hawthorne CA
5 - 45 (59.2%)
4 - 22 (28.9%)
3 - 9 (11.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 64

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hawthorne, CA  (Read 29093 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 02:02:37 AM »

Is this album out of print? Was just ordering CDs and I noticed the only one available in my neck of the woods was a Japanese import(with two extra songs.) It wasnt TOO pricey, but twice as much as Lucky Old Sun(which is running about 34 bucks in these parts.).

EMI has deleted Hawthorne along with several other BB's titles due to poor sales and the overall demise of the CD........... get em while you can
What ones?

I'm guessing Endless Harmony, Ultimate Christmas, GH Volume 3... ah, probably not Pet Sounds.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 09:09:40 AM »

I will admit it -- this one let me down.  With all of the stuff in the vaults from the 70's languishing, I did not need the Surfin USA backing track.  Some essential stuff mixed with some fluff IMO.  The last few tracks from the 70's left me wanting more of that.
I agree. I myself would have preferred more unreleased material. I don't care much for remixes or backing tracks. The Sail On Sailor backing track, for example. I would have wanted to hear an alternate take of the song instead.  It would have been nice if they would have deleted a song or two and ended the set with something like We Got Love, or Carry Me Home.

Hopefully in time there will be more releases that contain those and many more... Hawthorne part 2- The Bellagio Years
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 02:35:58 PM »

IIRC, there was a tentative plan to put out a 'sequel'  to Hawthorne titled "Mt. Vernon & Fairway & Beyond" but I don't think it ever got past the planning stage.

I think it's silly to delete a collection just because it isn't selling like hotcakes.

How can they expect it to sell if they delete it? Grin

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 09:19:23 PM »

I will admit it -- this one let me down.  With all of the stuff in the vaults from the 70's languishing, I did not need the Surfin USA backing track.  Some essential stuff mixed with some fluff IMO.  The last few tracks from the 70's left me wanting more of that.
I agree. I myself would have preferred more unreleased material. I don't care much for remixes or backing tracks. The Sail On Sailor backing track, for example. I would have wanted to hear an alternate take of the song instead.  It would have been nice if they would have deleted a song or two and ended the set with something like We Got Love, or Carry Me Home.

We Got Love? Really? I mean, I kinda like it, but it wasn't good enough to start Holland, how could it be good enough to end a Beach Boy rarity comp?   Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 02:38:32 AM »

We Got Love? Really? I mean, I kinda like it, but it wasn't good enough to start Holland, how could it be good enough to end a Beach Boy rarity comp?   Wink

Because it's, like... rare ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 11:58:27 AM »

What I love about the booklet is at the end, where it shows the members of the band, Blondie and Ricky get a credit!!!

As opposed to the new Wal-mart Zine cd/booklet.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Les Garçons de la plage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 10:38:53 AM »

perhaps slightly unnecessary compilation, but even the "oddities but goodies" stuff from The Beach Boys are more relevant than many more a record released during 2000s
I HAVE LOST MY BOOKLET  Sad Angry
bluesno1fann
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 04:12:26 PM »

Not a bad album, but too similar to Endless Harmony.
3 out of 5
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 04:21:24 PM »

3/5 a welcome addition to the BB legacy.. I even like the cover..!! Bruce is quoted as saying this scrapes the bottom of the barrel.. Well I can see why he thinks that but with all the live tapes and concert videos and goodies from the 70"s still unreleased they got a ways to go.. But I do feel this is a little light on real treasures.. And now MIC comes out so we are in good shape..
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:19:16 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx