gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:47:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Hawthorne CA
5 - 45 (59.2%)
4 - 22 (28.9%)
3 - 9 (11.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 64

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hawthorne, CA  (Read 29137 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 11:51:05 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Hawthorne, CA, released May 2001.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:36:55 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 11:52:18 AM »

Great Smile demo stuff, cool unreleased tracks and proof that Wild Honey could be remastered and released to sound great (as opposed to flat, as it does to me as it is). Good album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:22:01 PM »

A fine compilation. Better for developing a bigger appreciation of the band. A Time To Live In Dreams is enough proof that this album deserves a 4 or higher (it got a 4 from me).
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 01:28:23 PM »

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 11:39:11 AM »

a real treat when it arrived...great to have in the home archive......some of it doesn't hold up to repeated listening.... there are enough solid gems in there to edit it down to a good single disc for repeated listening...

I'd go right out and buy Hawthorne 2 if it were released
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 06:01:43 AM »

I will admit it -- this one let me down.  With all of the stuff in the vaults from the 70's languishing, I did not need the Surfin USA backing track.  Some essential stuff mixed with some fluff IMO.  The last few tracks from the 70's left me wanting more of that.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 09:45:58 AM »

Awesome set. I've read reviews from people complaining about how Capitol continues to churn out CD's with the engineers playing with faders which constitute a release. I say: keep it coming!! If that's what it takes to release a few oddities with the engineer's whimseies... let it be done!! Couldn't live without Time To Live In Dreams, Lonely Days, extended Vegetables, et al. Where's my clean take of the BB's River Song? I want to hear this in fine fidelity!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 09:55:55 AM »

It may not be possible.  Brad Elliott once reported that the BB version we have was taken from a cassette dub of the in-progress master as it was in 1974.  This was edited/changed for the final release, so parts on that dub were wiped. 
Jason
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 10:01:12 AM »

That's when you put one of those disclaimers on the CD back cover like the ones you see on archival Elvis releases.

"Every effort has been made for superior sound quality. However, priority has been given to historic content."
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 11:12:14 AM »

Except he said "fine fidelity" which to me implies from a master tape source.  Which doesn't exist.  Clean up the cassette if you wish, it still ain't fine fidelity.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 12:35:06 AM »

But if it's better quality than what's on California Feeling, I'll take it! I love Denny's little vocal snippet at the intro... "I was born into the city life..." Awesome!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 07:37:16 AM »

Hawthorne seems to have had a history; when it was suposed to come out with the Best of the Brother years (BB great hits vol 3), it was to come with an additional disc with interview items and songs that were featured in BB An American Family (not on the greatest hits comps), and Hawthorne supplied that; but like the movie, Hawthorne stops in the early 70s, why?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 05:05:24 AM »

Don't care about the remix stuff but love the alt takes and new songs. Great if edited.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 06:59:15 PM by MBE » Logged
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 10:27:41 AM »

Just hate th remix stuff but love the alt takes and new songs. Great if edited.

I tend to agree ... Most (though not all) of the remixes simply don't work, for me anyway. "Heroes and Villains" on this set is one glaring example ... I give the set a 4 overall.
muchacho_playero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 12:00:40 PM »

fantastic album! breakaway is amazing
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 06:15:53 AM »

I really love this collection. I just listened to it today on a surround sound system and it is fantastic. I disagree with some people, I really love the stereo remixes. I dont like them better (except Let The Wind Blow) but they give the song a new lease of life and I really enjoy them. I agree though that this set doesnt go into the 70's enough. Would've been real nice to see some of that material uncovered. I love the alternate versions of Break Away & Time To Get Alone. The previously unreleased songs are also great (A Time To Live In Dreams & Lonely Days). I also like the backing track for Good To My Baby with my favourite being Be With Me. Man what an incredible yet spooky song. That string arrangement is incredible. The highlight for me however is the a capella mixes. They are breathtaking. Kiss Me Baby is gorgeous, Can't Wait Too Long simply beautiful, the others are nice too but Forever is my favourite. I think I like this better than the actual version. It is incredible. How these guys blended their voices that beautifully is beyond me. There is some things which I wish were different (such as I wish the Sail On, Sailor backing track went the whole way through without the vocal ending) but all-in-all a fantastic collection of rarities, remixes etc..
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 03:48:44 PM »

Definite 5 from me. For "A Time To Live In Dreams" alone its worth a 5.

Besides I often find myself listening to the vocals only "Kiss Me Baby" over and over and over again, Brian-style.   Cool Guy
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 02:08:18 PM »

I give this album a 10
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 11:38:44 PM »

Is this album out of print? Was just ordering CDs and I noticed the only one available in my neck of the woods was a Japanese import(with two extra songs.) It wasnt TOO pricey, but twice as much as Lucky Old Sun(which is running about 34 bucks in these parts.).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:54:52 AM by lance » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 08:45:44 PM »

I gave it a 4. It brings back fond memories of 2001 when I first purchased this thing. Highlights for me: "A Time To Live In Dreams" and stereo mixes of "Let The Wind Blow", "Vegetables" and "Heroes And Villains". Interesting that a lot of it had been booted on Deep Sea Treasures and Harmony Friends.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »

I finally found a  copy of this on e-bay--had to import it from Hong Kong!

There must be a word for the pleasure hearing new Beach Boys mixes etc. gives.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 06:44:51 PM »

Is this album out of print? Was just ordering CDs and I noticed the only one available in my neck of the woods was a Japanese import(with two extra songs.) It wasnt TOO pricey, but twice as much as Lucky Old Sun(which is running about 34 bucks in these parts.).

EMI has deleted Hawthorne along with several other BB's titles due to poor sales and the overall demise of the CD........... get em while you can
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 07:46:51 PM »

EMI has deleted Hawthorne along with several other BB's titles due to poor sales and the overall demise of the CD........... get em while you can

That's a drag. "Hawthorne" was one of the first BB CD's I ever had. In fact, it was "Hawthorne" that made me a dreaded Brian Wilson die hard.
What other titles have gone out of print?

You can still get them on itunes, yes?

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »

I will admit it -- this one let me down.  With all of the stuff in the vaults from the 70's languishing, I did not need the Surfin USA backing track.  Some essential stuff mixed with some fluff IMO.  The last few tracks from the 70's left me wanting more of that.
I agree. I myself would have preferred more unreleased material. I don't care much for remixes or backing tracks. The Sail On Sailor backing track, for example. I would have wanted to hear an alternate take of the song instead.  It would have been nice if they would have deleted a song or two and ended the set with something like We Got Love, or Carry Me Home.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16:06 PM »

What ones?

A discipline daddy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx