gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:41:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Work Completed  (Read 6885 times)
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2006, 05:43:56 AM »

Daddy Dear:
http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2HPNJ8U2306WJ2FCGDQIEKNO8G
BarryDavidThomson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 06:29:32 AM »

I like it alot. Its hypnotic, nice rythym. The harmonies are exelent. Nice how it starts and stops.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 09:24:02 AM »

Do you think it could do with more instruments building up at the end?
I was thinking of a nice little harmonica line and maybe a few acoustic guitars building up.
I'm tempted to add more backing vox, but that may be overkill.
BarryDavidThomson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 09:27:13 AM »

I think you could play around at the end for more build up, but I like the whole spacey trip out thing thats going on. Sorry Im not great at describing things I hear.
BarryDavidThomson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 09:29:45 AM »

What about somemore percusion at the end, it could work really well in there too?
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 10:58:03 AM »

Things I noticed, these are just my opinions:

This has a "Free As A Bird" touch to it, if you know what I mean.  Sort of ghostly, but enhanced by what you've added.

Brian's lead seems a little muffled in the middle, on the "Little child" spoken part.  It's hard to distinguish.  It may be because of the effect (delay?).  But, then, this might be inherent in the tape (Huh).

It would be cool if the reverb from the vocals after the spoken part extended out, instead of being cut off.

On first listen, I thought the quarter note synth cymbal sound (or open hi-hat) was cheesy cool (I still think it is, but read on.)  But when the drums came in...I don't know how to phrase it, but the aforementioned sound somewhat lessened the effect of the drums.  My suggestion would be to excise it.  That's just my opinion, BTW.  I still like the cheesy coolness of that sound in and of itself.

It would be cool if the line "And if children could fly there'd be no need for birds" a cappella harmonies could be repeat again as the end, like you had on the original demo MP3.

Wow, I had a lot to say.  The above having been said, I gotta tell ya: you have made this one of my new favorite tunes.  I'm so slow on what's new, though.  This tune, and Postal Service's "Such Great Heights", which came out, like, 5 years ago it seems.

Good stuff.
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 11:16:52 AM »

I love what you did with that! I definitely think it needs more at the end, like you said.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 03:56:34 PM »

This has a "Free As A Bird" touch to it, if you know what I mean.  Sort of ghostly, but enhanced by what you've added.

Brian's lead seems a little muffled in the middle, on the "Little child" spoken part.  It's hard to distinguish.  It may be because of the effect (delay?).  But, then, this might be inherent in the tape (Huh).

It would be cool if the reverb from the vocals after the spoken part extended out, instead of being cut off.

On first listen, I thought the quarter note synth cymbal sound (or open hi-hat) was cheesy cool (I still think it is, but read on.)  But when the drums came in...I don't know how to phrase it, but the aforementioned sound somewhat lessened the effect of the drums.  My suggestion would be to excise it.  That's just my opinion, BTW.  I still like the cheesy coolness of that sound in and of itself.

It would be cool if the line "And if children could fly there'd be no need for birds" a cappella harmonies could be repeat again as the end, like you had on the original demo MP3.

Wow, I had a lot to say.  The above having been said, I gotta tell ya: you have made this one of my new favorite tunes.  I'm so slow on what's new, though.  This tune, and Postal Service's "Such Great Heights", which came out, like, 5 years ago it seems.

Good stuff.

Free as a bird - Yes. Although Brian Wilson ain't dead. It's the same kinda thing. Just EQ and a tiny bit of convolution reverb.
The middle bit - Best I could do. I've done a version with me singing this bit. Not the same.
Cheesy synth ride cymbal - I will change it. Tambourine I reckon.
"And if children could fly there'd be no need for birds" - I'll make it the ending. But bigger and better.

BDT - I'll add some percussion. I was thinking about that as well. Wood block and stuff. Yes.
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 05:30:05 PM »

I like it a lot...trying to compare it...very atmosphereic which is what I like...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 07:35:49 PM »

Good stuff.

Free as a bird - Yes. Although Brian Wilson ain't dead. It's the same kinda thing. Just EQ and a tiny bit of convolution reverb.
The middle bit - Best I could do. I've done a version with me singing this bit. Not the same.
Cheesy synth ride cymbal - I will change it. Tambourine I reckon.
"And if children could fly there'd be no need for birds" - I'll make it the ending. But bigger and better.

BDT - I'll add some percussion. I was thinking about that as well. Wood block and stuff. Yes.

I feel bad that I am the one to make you go back to the drawing board.  Though, I am highly anticipating the results!  Of all the songs on Vol. 1 and what I've heard so far for Vol. 2 --- and all of them I pretty much like, personally --- this is the most awesome track I've heard so far.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 08:34:53 AM »

http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2C0WDFF338YG41HFE3F8FXGLKU
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 12:11:09 PM »

It is complete.  Sweet!  BTW, is that fuzz bass on the end?  Didn't notice that before...or maybe I wasn't paying attention.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 10:02:43 PM »

Are you going to stereofy this, Desper-style (I haven't listened to the 3rd incarnation, so you may have already...)?

Watch out for snakes!
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 02:10:02 AM »

There's no need really. It's mostly in stereo as it is. All the live instruments are recorded with 2 mics and all the reverb is stereo, plus I don't think my computer could handle doubling up all the tracks. It'd be fun though.

Yeah, the fuzz bass wasn't there on the earlier version. I tried adding hand claps but removed them in the end. Sounded a bit pointless really.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 10:55:30 AM »

Oh, I meant just the vocal part, not what you added... I did listen to the new version. Very nice. It's just a shame that the source material isn't lossless.

Watch out for snakes!
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 11:27:41 AM »

Yeah it is a shame.
It'd be fantastic if the vocals were on one channel and the piano on the other. I think a couple of the Love You era demos are like that.

I suppose I could "comb filter" and whatnot the vocals for a stereo effect. Its already got a little stereo reverb on there.
All the reverb is stereo convolution/sampled reverb.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx