gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:45:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Potential for Carl's solo albums to be given the Legacy treatment  (Read 5586 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:38:16 AM »

http://legacyrecordings.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/77660

My wee poll to get the BBs catalogue given the Legacy treatment was scotched due to the minor reason that it's not their label, or rather they're not its. Band, that it.

But the Carl albums would come under the Legacy jurisdiction. So use your votes there folks -  this one could happen!

http://legacyrecordings.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/77660

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »

Small problem - they're just not good enough to be afforded this treatment. Given what was on the released discs, can you imagine how iffy the outtakes probably are ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »

Yeah, agreed AGD. A deluxe re-issue of a couple of mostly crappy albums wouldn't really help Carl's legacy in the public's eyes. I'd rather hear tapes of Dennis finding the right sound on his moog.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:22:17 AM »

There are Columbia-Legacy CDs released without extra tracks. It's possible. Do both fit in one single CD?

But those two albums are incredibly boring IMO.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
MBE
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »

I mean I would buy it if there was a vinyl edition, but between the two albums I only like 4 or 5 songs.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 01:45:52 AM »

Still a career five-song long retrospective would be nice.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 01:47:30 AM »

Seriously, I think the good songs on those albums should just be stuck on Keeping the Summer alive, or something, I do not think the albums are worth reissuing, but I do think that a few of t hose songs should be somewhere.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 02:07:12 AM »

The saxophone on those records sounds like an aural representation of diarrhoea.

I don't mean metaphorically, as in "oh, it sounds like sh*t", but the actual sounds of scoots slipping out my bum. It's a watery, brown, slippery sax.

There should be a compilation (2 or 3 CDs maybe?) of released and unreleased solo BB tracks. Even throw a couple of new ones on there. Sure, it wouldn't all be great, but i'd buy it, whereas i wouldn't buy reissues of Carl's albums.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 03:24:14 AM »

Personally, I'd like to have them in my collection, remastered, in some form of official CD release, whether it's both albums on one disc, or both in a 2CD package with a few bonus tracks.

It doesn't trouble me that the general public might not milk it up.

I count myself as a fan and believe Carl's voice is one of the sweetest things on the planet. I'll buy the material.

Have to assume everyone who's saying "they're crap, won't buy" already has the material to have heard it (whether official, LP, or boot) and formed that opinion. I've the vinyl, and a boot, but would prefer official, quality, pressed discs.

Nice to have choice!

carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 05:29:53 AM »

Does sort of beg the question, though: if you want a professional re-issue, with the resources and work that went into POB/Bambu, but you say yourself that few people would buy it, who would be stupid enough to throw their dosh down the drain? Especially as there is no "lost classic" status in this case, just simply "lost."
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 06:27:50 AM »

The saxophone on those records sounds like an aural representation of diarrhoea.

I don't mean metaphorically, as in "oh, it sounds like merda", but the actual sounds of scoots slipping out my bum. It's a watery, brown, slippery sax.

There should be a compilation (2 or 3 CDs maybe?) of released and unreleased solo BB tracks. Even throw a couple of new ones on there. Sure, it wouldn't all be great, but i'd buy it, whereas i wouldn't buy reissues of Carl's albums.
That's a good idea. I'll take that AFTER the two or three collection of unreleased Beach Boys tracks.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 10:10:51 AM »

A three-disc Wilson set would be wicked! A disc for every brother of their 'best' work...ofcourse Brian and Dennis' would be the hardest for music selection but Carl's will definitely be full of great tunes too!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »

Well, a career retrospective of Dennis has pretty much already come out.

I think a decent twelve-inch single could be made of Carl's stuff.

And, we can give Brian a double cd set.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 11:43:22 AM »

Sounds like everyone's starting to be hit by the credit crunch! There was a day when the fans bought everything, then tore it to pieces afterwards... these days the artists ought to ask the fans whether it's worth them getting out of bed in a morning!  Undecided

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 12:00:54 PM »

Actually, though, if you combined Carl's, Mike's, and maybe Bruce and Dave's stuff, I bet you could come up with a pretty decent two disc collection. I know it would never happen, but I would buy that stuff in a heartbeat.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 12:47:58 PM »

Sounds like everyone's starting to be hit by the credit crunch! There was a day when the fans bought everything, then tore it to pieces afterwards... these days the artists ought to ask the fans whether it's worth them getting out of bed in a morning!  Undecided

Can't speak for anyone else, but I did just that - bought the albums when they came out and duly gave my considered opinion. Which was, concisely: "yawwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 01:01:41 PM »

Personally, I'd like to have them in my collection, remastered, in some form of official CD release, whether it's both albums on one disc, or both in a 2CD package with a few bonus tracks.

It doesn't trouble me that the general public might not milk it up.

I count myself as a fan and believe Carl's voice is one of the sweetest things on the planet. I'll buy the material.

Have to assume everyone who's saying "they're crap, won't buy" already has the material to have heard it (whether official, LP, or boot) and formed that opinion. I've the vinyl, and a boot, but would prefer official, quality, pressed discs.

Nice to have choice!

I totally agree with the above post. It's Carl Wilson! Granted, I probably wouldn't have the CD(s) on heavy rotation, but it would be nice to pull out occasionally to appreciate Carl's solo work. And, Youngblood, IMO, is underrated; for me it's the best solo album after Pacific Ocean Blue. Good songs, good production, and, of course, incomparable vocal work.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »

I'm a big fan of Carl but would agree there are songs from his solo lps that are not to my liking.  However I have made a personal compilation CD of the Best of Carl Wilson that I have titled Full Sail.  It includes that title track along with my favorite songs from CW, Youngblood, BLW, and selected BB cuts where Carl dominates (Long Promised Road, FeelFlows, KTSA, and a  couple of Carl songs from BB85....

It is a hit in my circle and it highlights the full range of Carl from rocker to his softer side.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 01:15:17 PM »

Sheriff

I totally agree about Youngblood.  Waaaaaayyyyyyy better than the first CW lp.  And truth be told, my very favorite BB solo album.

One More Night Alone is a scorcher........very powerful...and bittersweet.......I'm surprised that this song hasn't gotten more attention and appreciation from the hard core BB fans.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »

I still play Carl's solo albums regularly -- but then again I actually like them!

There have to be some unreleased CDW tracks out there. I've been waiting for the one where he sings the entire LA phone book to surface for a long time.  LOL

Are there any recordings of Carl singing scales that could be released? He sounded awesome doing vocal exercises -- seriously.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:13:08 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 09:11:12 PM »

I like both albums, but Youngblood IS way better.  I, too, would be eager to buy an official release.

"Of The Times" is super-underrated.  So is "Seems So Long Ago".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 03:55:01 AM »

I like both albums, but Youngblood IS way better.  I, too, would be eager to buy an official release.

"Of The Times" is super-underrated.  So is "Seems So Long Ago".
]
If I Could Talk To Love talks to me, as does Givin' You Up.

Then there's Hurry Love and, of course, Heaven.

But I'd buy both in a repackage tomorrow.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 04:33:59 AM »

My favorites are She's Mine (I once dated a girl like that) and What You Do To Me.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 06:48:10 AM »

I  like some of the BLW material....especially I Wish for You...and although some don't seem to like it...I really like Today

By the time it was released, some of this material sounded dated in terms of production......but it stands as good music of it's day.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »

But I'd buy both in a repackage tomorrow.

Yeah, put both Carl Wlson and Youngblood on a single CD (somebody told me they both fit), remaster it, have somebody (Billy Hinsche, Jerry Shilling, etc.) write some nice liner notes, give it a budget price, and release it. There will always be a core group of Beach Boy diehards who will purchase it.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx