gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:24:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Celebrate The News! Come on... come on, now!  (Read 4843 times)
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2006, 08:42:28 PM »

OK... Can I get a hell yeah?!

I just listened to this cut in my car like 10 times consecutively while spinning around town, buying groceries and returning recyclables like the environmentally minded individual that I am. I... LOVE...THIS... SONG... One of my fave Denny cuts.
For some reason, I tried to disect it this time-- and it's brilliant!
Denny definitely dug big brother Bri's perfect production processes (wow 3 alliterations!) and followed suit with this MEGA-winner of a number. I gotta admit it didn't suck me in the first few times I heard it in 1983 when I bought the rarities LP.

Acoustic guitars, bass, drums, dobro, steel-guitar, flutes, tambourine, timpani/kettle-drums & LOADS of vocals.
#1) Listen once in stereo- VERY LOUD- if you can. #2) Turn the fader to the left channel and listen to the stereo LP cut.
#3) Repeat, this time in the right channel. #4) Do It Again in stereo.

Denny has a single vocal in the left channel, and 2 or three more in the right. I think Carl might be doubling him as well. The twittering flutes are incredible they are panned effectively from ear to ear. The resounding bass notes- what the hell kind of bass is that? Dumpy as hell and it's awesome! The humming in the right channel becomes ooh's & ahhs. Just when you think it's gonna continue on the breezy side of pop with somewhat depressing lyrics, WHAMMO- you get the news-- it switches gears and heads the other direction with upbeat/cheerful lyrics and a darker mood to the music. At the end where it changes tempo and hits 'Listen to the voices loud & clear' portion, is nothing short of amazing. The vocal miking technique is fantastic. Denny must have been 20 feet away when recording this- what a fantastic way to utilize the natural studio echo! Then he double tracked the vocal, possibly trippled it. He's in the right channel, while the boys are in the left with long notes held and violins holding the same long note. Then there's another set of vocals doing the 'OOH- come on's'. Mike nearly burried at this point doing the 'Come on, come on now- uh-huh-huh.' Brian's falsetto is stunning. The timpani being beat to hell bring it to the full realization.
DAMN!!!!!! What a number!!! Ranks very high on my list of Denny AND BB's favorites. A flat-out monster of a tune.

I can't believe that Breakaway wasn't a stone smash- terribly disappointing. Worse yet the DJ's that didn't play Breakaway, didn't flip the 45 to play Celebrate The News, either. Absolutely criminal this 45 wasn't absolutely gigantic. 2 of the best tunes in their late 60's catalog and I might argue that they are also 2 of their best 25 recordings, period. Did Desper ever chat this one up on the discussions between all 500 pages across 2 different boards?? What other info exists on this marvelous cut?

Has this tune ever turned up in any other form than the LP & 45 mixes?? Sessions? Vocals? Backing track? Was it ever tackled live or for a TV show? Gotta know everything!

AGD? Jason? Ian? Peter? H? Mason? Hunt? Bueller? Anyone... Bueller?
Spill all!!!!!!!!

Please!  Grin
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 08:45:20 PM »

Great post for a great song. My only comment is that the "come on... come on!" part sounds very much like hoarse Brian from the mid-70s, funnily enough. It's weird to hear that 'voice' so early (obviously it's Dennis shouting).

Watch out for snakes!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 08:55:32 PM »

^^^ ditto.

listening to it now REALLLY loud and switching between channels...good call  Cool

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:26:03 PM »

I love it too!  Grin

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 01:38:22 AM »

Why don't you marry it then?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 06:12:17 AM »

Do you know how much she'd have to pay in royalties???

--
dennyfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 07:44:22 AM »

HELL YEAH  Grin
Jason
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 08:09:11 AM »

Kevin, I don't know of any alternate versions for this track and I don't think it was ever tackled in live performances.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 08:35:57 AM »

Kevin, I don't know of any alternate versions for this track and I don't think it was ever tackled in live performances.

I think they sang it at a TV-Performance, but probably with playback

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 09:51:25 AM »

Breakaway might be genius but didn't sound like a hit.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 08:02:44 PM »

This song grabbed me on MY first listen, in '82 (Australian "Beach Boy Rarities" LP). 
YOWZA, whatta production!  Great description above! 

The credits on the '83 album say it was cut as Sunset Sound.  Badman says Gold Star.  Would be nice to know which (maybe both?).

It was performed on Mike Douglas in '69...I think Denny's lead vocal mighta been live, but the rest was mimed.   Carl faked the drums.  Denny looked majestic. 

C-Man
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 10:21:59 PM »

They did Never Learn Not To Love on Douglas, is that what you're thinkin' of? With Carl on drums?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 06:17:30 AM »

They did Never Learn Not To Love on Douglas, is that what you're thinkin' of? With Carl on drums?

Yep...they did BOTH "Never Learn" and "Celebrate" this way.  Two different programs.  Carl faked the drums while Denny sang what I think was a live lead over the pre-recorded backing track, on both shows.

C-Man
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 01:37:36 PM »

For some reason in 68 and 69 Sunset and Gold Star start to sound very similar, I can't make out which studio it is by ear this time.

I think one of the more interesting production items on CtN is the somewhat off-mic backing vocals.  It sounds like the group is standing about 15 feet away from the mic at times.

It was a real grower for me.  Didn't like it at all at first.  Now it's pretty OK.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 08:04:19 AM »

Gosh darn, everytime I listen to this song it just hits me of how freakin spectacular it is.

What a brilliant song. I can't get over how great it is.

--
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 06:41:54 PM »

I think the mix is a little bit off but i do agree its an amazing song. It always reminded me of the Rolling Stones for some reason. I think Dennis should have continued this style instead of the tunes on Sunflower. A timeless song, helped alot by Brian.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 06:56:33 PM »

I used to think this song was AWFUL.

I've since this thread given it more of a chance and have grown to become quite addicted to it. The unusual feel of the rythm initially threw me off and the little, "Hello" at the start sounds pretty cheesy.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 09:53:52 AM »

I would say that this song and Be Still are my most favorite Dennis songs

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 08:58:38 AM »

Just listening to the song and I heard a new detail that I hadn't before. On the left channel under the "ooh ahh" part at the end is a very low (quiet) voice saying "come on, come on now". It doesn't really sound like a Beach Boy, though I suppose it could be Mike (it's a bass-like part). Anyone else notice this/know who it is?

Watch out for snakes!
MBE
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 07:49:49 AM »

It's Mike I have the video of this and it is poorly filmed. They use a far shot the whole time not changing angles once. Yes it is live vocals over the track except Mike and Dennis continue to vamp at the end getting into a truly funky duet. Great audio video eh.....
SG7
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 08:46:49 AM »

I give it a holla  Grin

That song does rock.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx