gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:29:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you like worms chant  (Read 3860 times)
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2006, 08:30:24 PM »

Im sure this has been talked about, but could anyone give a translation for the "wahalaloley-whahalalola" part? Is that just babble? Thanks folks.

windchimes
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 08:42:30 PM »

Not sure, but I think it can be roughly translated as "Van Dyke is a butthole, Van Dyke is a butthole..."

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 08:43:39 PM »

Hawaiin Chant! i take it as what the natives are saying when they pull up to hawaii...
hearing brian (67) vocals only is great

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 08:46:12 PM »

It was in MacAndrew's Hawaii thing, right? Something like a prayer of thanks (if somewhat misspelled/pronounced).

Watch out for snakes!
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 03:41:14 AM »

God, I wish that Hawaii-Essay would be still there. It was huge and mindblowing and incredible interesting. Does someone have that essay saved on his PC? And if yes, could you send it to me? Please!!!

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 07:17:32 AM »

Im sure this has been talked about, but could anyone give a translation for the "wahalaloley-whahalalola" part? Is that just babble? Thanks folks.

windchimes

Way back in the day, I got a friend of mine who speaks the lingo to listen to it. His response was, in precis, "it's gibberish, it kinda sounds like Hawaiian, but isn't. Doesn't mean anything."

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 07:19:35 AM »

windchimes

It means "We'll f*ck you like Supermen" in Hawaiian.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 12:06:36 PM »

I remember from that thread which covered all the lyrical references and hawaiin language that it meant something like "giving thanks".

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 02:17:31 AM »

Which would fit very well in this whole plymouth-rock-pilgrim-thanksgiving-thing.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 04:19:14 AM »

Which would fit very well in this whole plymouth-rock-pilgrim-thanksgiving-thing.
I'm sorry, but I see that as a big stretch.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 05:54:00 AM »

McAndrew made some hypothesis about it being some kind of spell...like witchcraft or something (something about a surfer and an affair that he had), but it was VDP in an interview who mentioned that it was a way of saying 'giving thanks' or something like that.  So yeah, it is about giving thanks (although I thought Mac's thought was much more interesting and fitting).
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 07:52:25 AM »

"I'm sorry, but I see that as a big stretch."

Huh Why? I mean, the song IS about Plymouth Rock, the first pilgrims, native americans, and there troubled "relationship".

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 10:47:15 AM »

It makes perfect sense.

It's also my favorite part of the song.

The harmonies are beautiful.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 03:30:41 PM »

I don't know, the Thanksgiving part. Everyone associates the pilgrims with Thanksgiving, but I don't see any of that in the music.. so fitting in a "giving thanks" chant in a completely topically unrelated song on the opposite end of the album with Pilgrims just because the Pilgrims are equated with Thanksgiving seems too easy.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx