-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:16:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Drug influence w/ Listening to the BB
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Drug influence w/ Listening to the BB  (Read 12863 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 08:07:13 PM »

and that's what I listened to morte.

Would've probably killed me, too.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 08:29:35 PM »

I have never done drugs, but am wondering if anyone has heard Our Prayer while high? Surely that would sound pretty good compared to some of the M.I.U. tracks etc..?
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 12:10:22 PM »

Well, it's been years......but I would imagine Our Prayer as well as Feel Flows, Surf's Up while high would be interesting....in a state of "enlightenment" I would guess the music would be huge, engulfing, wrapping the mind in its aura...wow...I did say it's been years?  I feel like I just had a flashback  Cool Guy Happy Dance

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 09:07:36 PM »

I have never done drugs, but am wondering if anyone has heard Our Prayer while high? Surely that would sound pretty good compared to some of the M.I.U. tracks etc..?

Well, I think songs like "Our Prayer" are too eerie when I'm high. A lot of SMiLE is spiritual in the sense church is (specifically "Our Prayer", "Surf's Up", "Child is the Father..." and etc.). Beautiful, grand, but with those same eerie undertones. I do really like "Vegetables" & "Wind Chimes" when I'm high, especially the original piano ending to "Wind Chimes". "Heroes & Villains" is fun too, there's just so much going on harmonically. The "Cabinessence" chorus is miraculous, definitely something to close your eyes to.

Actually, one of my favorite things to listen to high is "Donovan's Colours" off the closely related Song Cycle.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »

I 2nd the piano ending to Wind Chimes while high...it seems like it could go on for days.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

Boys And Girls.I give you Cumbernauld Town Centre!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 06:26:06 AM »

Generally I listen to music while stoned. (If I can help it). It genuinely does enhance the experience having those extra cannabinoid neurotransmitters firing.  Not enhanced sound just your appreciation of it. With the exception of Smiley Smile (Little Pad and Wind Chimes especially)  though I have never thought that any BBs music sounded like it was produced with the medicated listener in mind.

Listen to Pet Sounds while high I tend to skip Wouldn't it Be Nice. (That snare hit at the end of the intro can disccombobulate the unperpared listener). Lets Go Away For A While is an absolute dream.

MDMA is unpredictable but I have had some pleasant nights listening to Please Let Me Wonder on repeat. Honestly

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
El Goodo
Smiley Smile Associate

coffee man

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 05:26:36 AM »

Generally I listen to music while stoned. (If I can help it). It genuinely does enhance the experience having those extra cannabinoid neurotransmitters firing.  Not enhanced sound just your appreciation of it. With the exception of Smiley Smile (Little Pad and Wind Chimes especially)  though I have never thought that any BBs music sounded like it was produced with the medicated listener in mind.

Listen to Pet Sounds while high I tend to skip Wouldn't it Be Nice. (That snare hit at the end of the intro can disccombobulate the unperpared listener). Lets Go Away For A While is an absolute dream.

MDMA is unpredictable but I have had some pleasant nights listening to Please Let Me Wonder on repeat. Honestly

Surely being from Cumbernauld, its more like a bottle of buckfast, 20 regal and a copy of 20 Golden Greats
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 06:09:51 AM »

Listen to Pet Sounds while high I tend to skip Wouldn't it Be Nice. (That snare hit at the end of the intro can disccombobulate the unprepared listener). Lets Go Away For A While is an absolute dream.

Surely being from Cumbernauld, its more like a bottle of buckfast, 20 regal and a copy of 20 Golden Greats

No.

I was more of a Electric White kind of fellow. And I don't smoke cigarettes. It's a disgusting habit.  LOL

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 07:51:18 AM »

With the exception of Smiley Smile (Little Pad and Wind Chimes especially)  though I have never thought that any BBs music sounded like it was produced with the medicated listener in mind.

Yeah, I was just listening to "Little Pad" again high and, it's crazy, the humming part almost sounds like a string section. That song is just ridiculous. If you could actually hear the instruments (they sound like they were wrapped in a thick layer of gauze) during the humming part it would be a thing of untold beauty. That, and the arrangement for the "sure would like a  little pad..." part always struck me as a little lazy. I always liked the sound of Smiley Smile, kind of more than Smile in some ways, but Brian needed to put a little more work into it. Some of the arrangements could've been a little better with some effort, and as we all know it could have been mixed a lot better.
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 03:08:55 AM »

With the exception of Smiley Smile (Little Pad and Wind Chimes especially)  though I have never thought that any BBs music sounded like it was produced with the medicated listener in mind.

Yeah, I was just listening to "Little Pad" again high and, it's crazy, the humming part almost sounds like a string section. That song is just ridiculous. If you could actually hear the instruments (they sound like they were wrapped in a thick layer of gauze) during the humming part it would be a thing of untold beauty. That, and the arrangement for the "sure would like a  little pad..." part always struck me as a little lazy. I always liked the sound of Smiley Smile, kind of more than Smile in some ways, but Brian needed to put a little more work into it. Some of the arrangements could've been a little better with some effort, and as we all know it could have been mixed a lot better.

You can thank Brian's purchase of $2K of hashish for that.  Azn

sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2009, 05:16:06 PM »

Smiley Smile is great stoned.

That droning organ bass on the chorus to H&V seems infinite and resonates through the whole body (if played loud). It's like the purity of certain tones. That was a big part of Brian's approach, I think.

Vegetables' bass sounds great too. Just bouncin' along happily. And the bottle whistle. And water pouring. God. It's just a great place to be, mentally. It's pure. The munchin' and crunchin', so good. The end is so beautiful with the keyboard part and all the harmonies.

Good Vibrations is like a trip out of the Earth's atmosphere for an Age or two and then back down for With Me Tonight.

Friends is another great album to listen to high. It has a hazy, lazy quality - just comes, takes you to a nice place, then leaves.

I haven't used any plants or chemicals in quite a few months, though. I miss it for the music aspect. Easy to become totally engrossed in sound when you're high. But where I'm at right now is a different sort of spiritual trip. Not as enjoyable on a sensual level but filled with a greater presence of understanding.

I'd love to appreciate the BBoys stoned in a group of friends but no one that I know likes them. :-(

Edit:

I forgot to mention that a lot of SMiLE sounds great too stoned. Who would've known?  Cheesy

The "waa, waa" instrument on the chorus of CIFOTM (what is that instrument - a muted trumpet?) always comes to life for me. It sounds like those SMiLE album cover grins slowly melting and then forming again only to melt once more. This is the sort of thing that makes me disagree with one of the above posters who felt that none of Brian's music was made with stoned listeners in mind.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 05:22:11 PM by sofonanm » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: