-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:10:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Drug influence w/ Listening to the BB
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Drug influence w/ Listening to the BB  (Read 12820 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:22:21 AM »

Has anyone ever wrote about how listening to the Beach Boys (certain albums/songs) can have such an interpretation/inspiration while under the influence?

Obviously, the Smile tunes have their moments   Grin

*or more so, does anyone have expierences they'd like to share?!!?   Shocked
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:40:37 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 06:12:59 AM »

Never experienced the BeachBoys this way.   Although I think some of the more mellow songs of the Wild Honey /Friends era would have been nice on the downhill side of the lysergic. Wink
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »

A source very, very close to me says that albums like Sunflower and Holland actually sound better on acid than the Smile stuff.  That's not surprising.  Smile was dark and ambitious Brian's Trip

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 03:24:30 PM »

I believe there is a whole thread dedicated to it here somewhere. I have vague recollections of the early days of this version of this board. But I could be wrong. I drink a lot and don't pay much attention.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:15:21 PM »

awesome!

yeah, pretty much Pet Sounds - Smile - Smiley - Wild Honey - Friends are vibes

Friends is so mellow, i love it

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:18:39 PM »

The Beach Boys became an obsession after I stopped doing drugs....been about 3 and a half years now...don't need any vices to enhance this beautiful, comforting, and intelligent music... 3D
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 12:07:39 AM »

Me too, I haven't done drugs for years on end(other than alcohol, which I do with ritualistic regularity) but I have to admit, the thought of  listening to Sunflower or Friends stoned  on acid and pot does sound...appealing.
MBE
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:09:20 AM »

Since my drug use was limited to pot and just one weekend no I haven't heard the Beach Boys stoned. I can't remember because it was too long ago really, but I do remember the Beatles Tomorrow Never Knows seeming to go on forever.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 08:38:07 AM »

Sometimes the most delicate music can best enhance an altered state...be it chemical or simply a meditative state....
One should stroke the senses rather than assault them....IMHO.

That is why I would choose Friends...Even some of Pink Floyd's music was delicate and went down well on those occasions.  I'm thinking of "If" from Atom Heart Mother, Grantchester Meadows from Ummagumma and so on...

And a couple of the earlier Moody Blues albums were light as a breeze and soft as a pillow.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 08:57:34 PM »

Since my drug use was limited to pot and just one weekend no I haven't heard the Beach Boys stoned. I can't remember because it was too long ago really, but I do remember the Beatles Tomorrow Never Knows seeming to go on forever.

You sound like me. Pot makes 'Tomorrow Never Knows' go on for eternity! And for me, that was a good thing.

I've only smoked pot a few times, and unfortunately, the Boys weren't playing in the background. Would have made it more interesting, though.
MBE
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »

You know what I may have played Smiley but I just cannot remember now. Really it's the Beach Boys that kept me from getting into drugs. Seeing Brian and Dennis in the sixties and then watching them in the eighties was enough to freak me out!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 05:30:27 AM by MBE » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 09:54:31 PM »

You would think SMiLE would be the best to listen to stoned. Actually, I find Friends & Sunflower to be the best in that situation, personally, esp. "Passing By".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 05:25:37 AM »

You know what I may have played Smiley but I just cannot remember now. Really it's the Beach Boys that kept me from not getting into drugs. Seeing Brian and Dennis in the sixties and then watching them in the eighties was enough to freak me out!

Same here, that's a much better 'anti-drug' message than anything I ever learned back in school...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 04:48:54 AM »

Yeah, Brian is why I will never try acid.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 07:39:47 AM »

My experience is that with the right amount of alcohol, Summer In Paradise is a true pop classic. Moreover, M.I.U. is better than SMiLE in that state, and so is L.A.
Looking Back With Love requires about 1 litre of pure unadulterated Vodka. But then, it's a true corker, much better than anything by Sinatra, for instance. Yes, with Vodka, LBWL is the finest singer-songwriter confessional literary masterwork ever made. Blows James Taylor and Neil Young to pieces.
So, all in all I am not sad. Even the lowest points in the BBs canon can be raised to 9/10 stars level with booze.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »

i agree, alcohol makes those albums better, like Carl singing drunk in concert sounds better drunk   Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 11:53:10 PM »

i agree, alcohol makes those albums better, like Carl singing drunk in concert sounds better drunk   Wink

Great album to be drunk to: 'Psychocandy'. Honest.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 09:54:09 AM »

Sometimes the most delicate music can best enhance an altered state...be it chemical or simply a meditative state....

I can't really speak about listening to BB music in a chemical state but the meditative one I can.  I teach Pilates classes and obviously the music is pretty Beach Boys heavy, either in the mixes I make specifically for class or if I am lazy that week and just listen to an album.  The best is Sunflower.  When you are doing all that deep breathing and have the body awareness then All I Wanna Do comes on it absolutely takes you to another place.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 02:12:28 PM »

I totally believe that in All I wanna Do....there's some deep vibe comming from it, it can only be found within yourself, I found it!  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 11:31:17 AM »

I can't really speak about listening to BB music in a chemical state but the meditative one I can.  I teach Pilates classes and obviously the music is pretty Beach Boys heavy, either in the mixes I make specifically for class or if I am lazy that week and just listen to an album.  The best is Sunflower.  When you are doing all that deep breathing and have the body awareness then All I Wanna Do comes on it absolutely takes you to another place.

I doubt you'd get the same experience when doing pilates to "All I Want To Do".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 10:10:25 AM »

LOL That's for private lessons only
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 07:16:23 PM »

LOL That's for private lessons only

Where do I sign up?! LOL LOL LOL
Just kidding!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 09:27:27 AM »

I take Sunflower and Surf's Up on my MP3 player when I go for a walk...it is very relaxing and just walking while looking at the sky and nature while listening to Feel Flows is wonderful......

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »

i can imagine Feel Flows and it's magic with the sky....especially at night...

i have an Adult Child mix that's fun to listen to while jogging....of course some of those songs are so 'healthy'

im gonna make a playlist of BW health songs, good stuff to run to

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 10:20:28 PM »

This is really weird, but I used to get high everyday and, well, M.I.U. was my favorite Beach Boys album for awhile. I can't explain it, I really can't, and I never really listen to it now. Actually, thinking about it more now, I made a mix of the best Brian Wilson songs from M.I.U. and Keepin' the Summer Alive, and that's what I listened to morte. "Hey Little Tomboy", "Santa Ana Winds", and "When Girls Get Together" were probably my biggest stoned guilty pleasures. "My Diane" and "Goin' On" were didn't make me feel quite as guilty (those rising harmonies in "Goin' On" when you're high... wow). Smoking weed actually convinced me that some of the M.I.U. songs would be absolute classics had they been mixed properly. For example, "Pitter Patter" has some really interesting elements to it that you can barely hear. It's all drowned out by the vocals and that driving bass sound the Beach Boys fell in love with in the late 70s (listen to "Pitter Patter", "It's a Beautiful Day", and "Almost Summer" as a trio - it's a three piece pocket symphony, all connected by the bass playing, kind of like the "Song for Children" -> "Child is Father..." -> "Surf's Up" bit on SMiLE, but better?). "Little Pad" is great high, another one of my favorites. A 60s version of "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" that used to be on youtube was magical. That's about all I remember though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: