gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:38:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian to discuss 'Pleasure Island' this Saturday.  (Read 18670 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2008, 08:19:14 AM »

I think it was because he was commisioned to write it and once he had signed a deal he was bound to it.

I think this is a key concept in Brian's recent solo career, and, if Melinda is behind it, I give her credit.

With some of these "projects", Brian is locked in to a deadline, and the goals are pretty much laid out for him. SMiLE will premiere at this time at this place and we've got to get it ready. Clive Davis wants a Christmas album, we have to submit it by this date. So and so commissioned TLOS, now you know what has to be done.

This approach works better than giving Brian unlimited time (decades?) to do his "rock & roll" album, his "Spector" album, heck, ANY solo album for that matter. Now, I know there are two sides to that coin, and critics will say that Brian shouldn't be given deadlines (didn't we learn anything from SMiLE), and that he should be allowed to do his music on his terms. And you have to assume that Brian has/had enough quality material for the project, and I understand that is open for debate - about 23 pages on this board! But, maybe SMiLE was an exception, and that Brian works well when he works fast. I don't think Brian has been rushed with any of these solo projects, and it's probably best to get him when he's on a roll, any roll...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:25:03 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2008, 09:16:14 AM »

Only the first line of Message Man sounds like Marketplace, the rest sounds different.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2008, 09:34:31 AM »

the MP3 link isnt working for me

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2008, 09:55:01 AM »

...rather a bunch of teenagers who discover an island...

That's not necessarily at odds withe the Pinocchio theme.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »

Your definition of "just" is evidently a lot different to mine - the bulk of the TLOS stuff was composed summer 2006, and "Message Man" sounds awfully like 1995's "Marketplace" to these ears.

Andrew, may I ask why it matters that it wasn't written in recent (at least recent enough for you) times? I have just never understood why that matters... to me, if Pet Sounds was written in 1964 and not released until 1966, I would just think 'who cares'.

It matters (to me at least) on the grounds of accuracy & honesty: to take an (admittedly extreme) example, suppose you held up GIOMH as an example of a recent burst of Brian's creativity. Fine, but inevitably the truth would emerge, viz that most of the songs were anything from six to forty years old and that Brian didn't select them in any case.

I've no problem with anyone recycling material (hell, Steinman does little else - I'm beginning to wonder if he's actually written an entirely new tune since 1977) but when said reworking is held up as evidence of a new burst of creativity, sorry but no. Doesn't wash. TLOS was indeed commissioned by the South Bank Centre, but less than half the songs that comprise the suite were written specifically for it, and thus far I've seen no-one consider the implications that has for this alleged new creative burst.

But that's just me - Mr. Picky.  Evil

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2008, 11:32:51 AM »

It's a great show. Played loads of good and lesser-known BBs numbers throughout. Brian's obviously a Republican and voted for McCain. Rattled through lots of good questions and got some quick answers, not a bad strategy actually, given the tight responses. Actually the best interview I've heard or read in the last year or 2 (not saying much).  Interview about 1:33 into the show, link:

http://mp3archives.wfmu.org/archive/kdb/mp3jump.mp3/0:7:19/0/SH/sh081122.mp3

I actually had to cringe quite a few times. Legend has it he once gave pre-recorded answers to Capitol executives from a tape recorder. Interviews like this make me wonder if he's actually still using this technique.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »

I like the tune from Guys n Dolls in there. ("This guy says the horse can do.") I'm a sucker for classic musicals.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2008, 11:41:28 AM »

Ha, his favorite BBs album? Does he say PS? Friends? Love You? These are previous answers ... nope. Summer Days and Summer Nights.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2008, 12:01:24 PM »

There are definitely some weird aspects to the way Brian's music is marketed and promoted. For many of you here I guess I'm saying what you already know. We talk about a "Best of Brian" compilation, but that would acknowledge elements of continuity and stability which simply aren't there. It seems he is always being turned one way or the other. So there's almost nothing of his solo career in his sets, other than whatever's his latest thing. Does he believe in the music he's writing? What makes it worse in a way is that he's pushed/pushes himself into "Pop" promotional activities - hundreds of embarrassing interviews, dire chat show performances, toothy photoshoots... Maybe this helped to promote TLOS to a moderate level of success, but I'd say having Capital give some clout to get his music played and talked about had a lot more effect. And as people say, TLOS was driven by a fan, who happens to be one of the directors of the Royal Festival Hall. Without these fans in important places, like Lenny Waronker, I wonder what Brian's career would look like?

A year or so later and this latest work has normally sunk without a trace, and it's back to greatest hits. Bear in mind what Van Dyke Parks said about being asked to help with Smile - that he heard Brian was tackling it, then waited and waited for the call, which only came on an offchance. I don't know how Brian judges whether a collaboration is working or not. "Chapters missing, pages torn" - or somebody applying an airbrush, over anything which makes them feel remotely uncomfortable ? Pop-psych theory: he seriously wants his 1964 self back, or something from it...

Your definition of "just" is evidently a lot different to mine - the bulk of the TLOS stuff was composed summer 2006, and "Message Man" sounds awfully like 1995's "Marketplace" to these ears.

Andrew, may I ask why it matters that it wasn't written in recent (at least recent enough for you) times? I have just never understood why that matters... to me, if Pet Sounds was written in 1964 and not released until 1966, I would just think 'who cares'.

It matters (to me at least) on the grounds of accuracy & honesty: to take an (admittedly extreme) example, suppose you held up GIOMH as an example of a recent burst of Brian's creativity. Fine, but inevitably the truth would emerge, viz that most of the songs were anything from six to forty years old and that Brian didn't select them in any case.

I've no problem with anyone recycling material (hell, Steinman does little else - I'm beginning to wonder if he's actually written an entirely new tune since 1977) but when said reworking is held up as evidence of a new burst of creativity, sorry but no. Doesn't wash. TLOS was indeed commissioned by the South Bank Centre, but less than half the songs that comprise the suite were written specifically for it, and thus far I've seen no-one consider the implications that has for this alleged new creative burst.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »

It seems he is always being turned one way or the other. So there's almost nothing of his solo career in his sets, other than whatever's his latest thing. Does he believe in the music he's writing? What makes it worse in a way is that he's pushed/pushes himself into "Pop" promotional activities - hundreds of embarrassing interviews, dire chat show performances, toothy photoshoots...

Well, yeah. Time to beat the dead horse - again. It is hard to find an artist/musician who is less qualified to be a "solo" artist than Brian Wilson. But, that's what's been suggested/chosen for/by him for almost 22 years now. It's frustrating for me, but the history books will say differently.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2008, 01:31:52 PM »

TLOS was indeed commissioned by the South Bank Centre, but less than half the songs that comprise the suite were written specifically for it, and thus far I've seen no-one consider the implications that has for this alleged new creative burst.

I still would consider this a creative burst in a way. Yeah, they were written in 2006 for the most part, but that's "only" a delay of 2 years, which is pretty much par for the course in this day and age, and phenomenal for Brian. GIOMH was entirely "old" material save 1 song. BWPS...I don't need to anything. WIRWFC had 2 new songs, but they were indeed new songs.  Before GIOMH, though, there was little to nothing.  At least this time there was no need to pad the album by putting on remakes (Can't Wait Too Long doesn't count) or old songs from the vault. The deadline helped Brian in that he was forced to actually do something with the material he had.

I do agree with Carl r re:nothing of his solo material in his setlists.  But that may be a case of "management"  just pandering to the masses rather than trying to build a "real" solo career, whatever that means.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2008, 01:55:35 PM »

GIOMH shoulda been a comeback album for Brian, and in part of the formula of 15 Big ones (original plan); make an album of one half oldies (remakes from SI, A. Paley sessions, etc.) then the other half newer songs, like studio cuts of his live solo material (this isnt love, the first time, etc.) Heck, even a double album woulda been nice with enough new material.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »

GIOMH shoulda been a comeback album for Brian, and in part of the formula of 15 Big ones (original plan); make an album of one half oldies (remakes from SI, A. Paley sessions, etc.) then the other half newer songs, like studio cuts of his live solo material (this isnt love, the first time, etc.) Heck, even a double album woulda been nice with enough new material.

A double-album that would have sucked had the quality of the music been on par with what was already on GIOHM.  You know what they say: you have one scoop of ice cream and one scoop of manure, you really have two scoops of manure.   LOL

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2008, 07:39:21 PM »

Brian's obviously a Republican and voted for McCain.

Wait, what??!!!!! Huh Huh Huh NOOOO!!! I didn't really need to know that.

I doubt Brian's ever really been that political, anyway.

Really, the world of the BB has been pretty close to all things conservative for quite a long time, so this sure doesn't come as a big surprise. Me, I couldn't care less as long as he doesn't feel inclined to write a song about his political worldview (no matter who he voted for).

Came as a surprise to me. I mean, it's Brian, not the Lovester.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2008, 11:26:56 PM »

I don't know how you couldn't call TLOS and associated songs a recent creative burst, but if you consider Message Man to be 'old' based on it's one recycled melody (and only 6 notes at that) from Market Place then that goes some way to explaining your position. Personally I think that's ridiculous - you might as well dismiss half of BW's catalogue on that basis.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2008, 11:50:11 PM »

Why are we approaching 6 pages about an album that does not exist? And why do I have a sense of déja vu?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2008, 12:43:27 AM »

We had 37 years for a album that didn't exist. We are just warming up!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2008, 04:09:40 AM »

Really, the world of the BB has been pretty close to all things conservative for quite a long time, so this sure doesn't come as a big surprise. Me, I couldn't care less as long as he doesn't feel inclined to write a song about his political worldview (no matter who he voted for).

Never forget McCain's quite a big Beach Boys fan. Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg
MBE
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2008, 04:36:08 AM »

Brian has also said Holland and So Tough are favorites so it probably changes to the last one he listened to and enjoyed. He did a lot of Summer Days live last week Girl Don't Tell Me, Salt Lake City, Help Me Rhonda, California Girls. We all get on kicks for certain albums. 

As far as his views go, it shouldn't matter. He's still the same guy who we all admire and after all it's not like it makes a difference either way, he never has pushed his views on anyone. Brian is a guy I spoke to once, and he was nice, but it's not like we or any of us are his close personal friends. I mean even in my family and social circle some voted for Obama, some McCain, and some even Nader. It didn't make me dislike any of them or think less of them.

Btw I think before he died Maharishi was supporting the Green or Libertarian party. Mike was supporting them in 1992. I know in 1988 Mike and Bruce supported Bush snr. I also know that Landy had Brian play a pro abortion rally. So they are all over the map as far as I can tell. There was a pretty interesting thread on this a year or two ago.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 04:48:00 AM by MBE » Logged
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2008, 04:50:39 AM »

It's a bit of a weird thing that we ascribe significance to the opinions of our favorite musicians, where in many ways they are the least qualified to comment on public affairs, often having had extremely atypical and detached lives, with maids and dozens of helpers. For example, if Michael Jackson backed Obama, who would it have helped? I think the idea took root in the 60s, that musicians had significant political and cultural messages, and we can still hear echoes of this still. But asking about Brian's preferences is like most celebrity questioning: we will never expect Brian to write protest songs, he had a passing phase of bookishness a long time ago, yet we feel that we want to know him a bit better, as he is now. It has as much relevance to anyone as has his favorite choice of underwear, but if the answer is not the one we like, we still automatically flinch, I certainly do, at any rate.  To be honest, I'd be a lot more bewildered if VDP had become a fan of GW Bush, as VDP has always had an interest in ideas.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2008, 05:19:56 AM »

Another thing, voting for John McCain doesn't automatically make some a villain liberal vs. conservative is not good vs. evil. It's liberal vs. conservative. You can be an educated, well-meaning person and still think McCain would be a better president than Obama. It happens. Someone's political views should not have anything to do with how inherently "good" or "cool" they are.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2008, 05:21:43 AM »

It's a bit of a weird thing that we ascribe significance to the opinions of our favorite musicians, where in many ways they are the least qualified to comment on public affairs, often having had extremely atypical and detached lives, with maids and dozens of helpers. For example, if Michael Jackson backed Obama, who would it have helped? I think the idea took root in the 60s, that musicians had significant political and cultural messages, and we can still hear echoes of this still. But asking about Brian's preferences is like most celebrity questioning: we will never expect Brian to write protest songs, he had a passing phase of bookishness a long time ago, yet we feel that we want to know him a bit better, as he is now. It has as much relevance to anyone as has his favorite choice of underwear, but if the answer is not the one we like, we still automatically flinch, I certainly do, at any rate.  To be honest, I'd be a lot more bewildered if VDP had become a fan of GW Bush, as VDP has always had an interest in ideas.

Lyrics sample from 'Pleasure Island' (B. Wilson):

Pleasure, Pleasure Island has a wonderful band
They have the philosophy of ms. Ayn Rand
They often often like to spill the beans
On socio-economic things by John Maynard Keynes

And when there is a lovely moon in the middle of June
They'll make you happy with a wonderful tune
Espousing the Critiques by Imanuel Kant
They turn'em into just a heavenly chant!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »

Holy sh*t that's funny...never EVER thought I'd see Ayn Rand mentioned here!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2008, 07:54:59 AM »

Holy merda that's funny...never EVER thought I'd see Ayn Rand mentioned here!

Thank you Billy, my pleasure! Smiley

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2008, 08:25:02 AM »

Another thing, voting for John McCain doesn't automatically make some a villain liberal vs. conservative is not good vs. evil. It's liberal vs. conservative. You can be an educated, well-meaning person and still think McCain would be a better president than Obama. It happens. Someone's political views should not have anything to do with how inherently "good" or "cool" they are.

I wasn't going to disown Brian for liking McCain or anything. Seems like politics would be the last thing on Brian's mind. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian just went into the voting booth and randomly picked a candidate, or even wrote in Phil Spector. I think Brian would have a much stronger opinion on the steak vs. hamburger race. Seems like the only BBs who were overtly political were Mike (pro-environment Republican) and occasionally Dennis (anti-war.....booze not bombs!! LOL).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx