gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:39:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possibly O/T: "Weekend" by Good Vibrations: anyone know it?  (Read 6375 times)
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2008, 12:38:36 PM »

I recently picked up a 45 by a combo called Good Vibrations entitled Weekend backed with Mary Ann. Both sides are wonderful Beach Boys pastiches (one uptempo, one ballad), written & produced by one Mike O'Rourke, who also produced Jeff Foskett's early LPs (indeed, I think that both of these sides appear on one of Jeff's early outings). It really sounds like a great lost classic to me...
Has anyone else ever come across this one? Does anyone know who Good Vibrations were? Or when this was released? Was Jeff actually in the band? Did they release anything else? Any more info gratefully received...
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 01:55:06 PM »

I've got a rip of that song that I picked up a few years ago, but sadly I don't know anything about it other than the place I got the MP3 from said the release date was 1967. Great Beach Boys tune- kind of a cross between "Dance, Dance, Dance" and "Don't Back Down"

Please post if you find any more information.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 02:39:36 PM »

Well, if it's the "Weekend" that's on Jeff's Thru My Window CD, the copyright date is 1995. Likewise, "Maryann" is a 1994 copyright, so no way it's a 1967 recording unless they're totally different songs.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »

I recently picked up a 45 by a combo called Good Vibrations entitled Weekend backed with Mary Ann. Both sides are wonderful Beach Boys pastiches (one uptempo, one ballad), written & produced by one Mike O'Rourke, who also produced Jeff Foskett's early LPs (indeed, I think that both of these sides appear on one of Jeff's early outings). It really sounds like a great lost classic to me...
Has anyone else ever come across this one? Does anyone know who Good Vibrations were? Or when this was released? Was Jeff actually in the band? Did they release anything else? Any more info gratefully received...

What's the label, and what are the dates on it ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:52:06 PM »

Itīs on the New Surf label - no dates nor number on the label. But iirc the single was released in the mid-late 80s.
Jeff was a member of this band/studio project.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:21:07 AM by Christian » Logged
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:59:27 AM »

A little bit more about Mike OīRourke and his band Good Vibrations here:

http://www.pahrumpvalleytimes.com/2007/Oct-26-Fri-2007/news/17522257.html
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 06:54:49 PM »

This is a great little song. I've been looking for more by these guys for ages, all I know is that one song (GV). Shoulda known it wasn't vintage!

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »

Thanks for the extra info. I kind of had it pegged as mid-80s, but the labels (mine are blue, rather than yellow, fellow collectors!!!) aren't giving anything away. Both sides are definitely the same numbers as appeared on Jeff's Through My Window CD, though with different writing credits for some reason. And if anyone out there remembers the terrific 90s Scottish band Adventures In Stereo, they might find a remarkable similarity between that combo's "Take Me Down" &  Good Vibrations' "Mary Ann".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 07:30:20 PM »

Thanks for the extra info. I kind of had it pegged as mid-80s, but the labels (mine are blue, rather than yellow, fellow collectors!!!) aren't giving anything away. Both sides are definitely the same numbers as appeared on Jeff's Through My Window CD, though with different writing credits for some reason. And if anyone out there remembers the terrific 90s Scottish band Adventures In Stereo, they might find a remarkable similarity between that combo's "Take Me Down" &  Good Vibrations' "Mary Ann".

On the Smiling Pets album there was a cover of "Wonderful" by Adventures in Stereo.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mike ORourke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 04:41:15 PM »

greetings..this is mike orourke...thank you all for those kind words about mary ann and weekend .....to clear up the mystery...i wrote and recorded the songs in 1980 at my home in vegas ..i did all the vocals and instruments myself on a teac  4 trk at 71/2 and pressed it appropriately in hawthorne ca at fidelitone ...no one else was on this project...i later met foskett thru carl wilson during their vegas shows at caesars in the late 80s.... i did have a trio i named good vibrations from 1978-92 but the guys were not involved in the recording...i sold foskett these two songs plus the name new surf and several other of my songs  ( thru my window ,dancing girl and others) which were redone by foskett...... imitating me imitating the beach boys imitating chuck berry and the 4 freshmen.....i was honored that he though enough of my songs to do them....since then we've lost touch ,,,,this is a brief note on my beach boy experiences  including being asked by carl to sit in on stage with the beach boys and play their ceasars palace encore of fun fun fun ..their manager chaz somebody  called me from backstage and said carl wants you on stage to sing........ corralling my ego which was running out the door i was handed one of carls guitars and we both played the lead fun fun fun i sang on the same mic with carl .....what a thrill that was nov 1990..... he told to me" you could step right in" what a compliment       anyway.............check out youtube      mike orourke only semi perfect.....some more originals and covers you'll recognize....and as ed sullivan used to say "for the youngsters " check out tyrantslv my sons group........thanks again to all for the comments.
Mike ORourke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »

nach0king
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 06:41:21 PM »

greetings..this is mike orourke...thank you all for those kind words about mary ann and weekend .....to clear up the mystery...i wrote and recorded the songs in 1980 at my home in vegas ..i did all the vocals and instruments myself on a teac  4 trk at 71/2 and pressed it appropriately in hawthorne ca at fidelitone ...no one else was on this project...i later met foskett thru carl wilson during their vegas shows at caesars in the late 80s.... i did have a trio i named good vibrations from 1978-92 but the guys were not involved in the recording...i sold foskett these two songs plus the name new surf and several other of my songs  ( thru my window ,dancing girl and others) which were redone by foskett...... imitating me imitating the beach boys imitating chuck berry and the 4 freshmen.....i was honored that he though enough of my songs to do them....since then we've lost touch ,,,,this is a brief note on my beach boy experiences  including being asked by carl to sit in on stage with the beach boys and play their ceasars palace encore of fun fun fun ..their manager chaz somebody  called me from backstage and said carl wants you on stage to sing........ corralling my ego which was running out the door i was handed one of carls guitars and we both played the lead fun fun fun i sang on the same mic with carl .....what a thrill that was nov 1990..... he told to me" you could step right in" what a compliment       anyway.............check out youtube      mike orourke only semi perfect.....some more originals and covers you'll recognize....and as ed sullivan used to say "for the youngsters " check out tyrantslv my sons group........thanks again to all for the comments.

I think this is fascinating, thank you!
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 02:08:57 PM »

Found it on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYIBU0hFwRg

I'd love to hear the other songs that were later redone by Foskett, in their original form... Were they ever released?
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 04:54:48 AM »

Yes, thanks so much for the reply, Mike. Fascinating information, and I too would be interested in hearing the pre-Jeff versions of the other titles you mention.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx