gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:57:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys' Concert
5 - 7 (11.5%)
4 - 5 (8.2%)
3 - 27 (44.3%)
2 - 15 (24.6%)
1 - 6 (9.8%)
0 - 1 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys' Concert  (Read 30497 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 11:46:03 AM »

Discuss, review and rate The Beach Boys' Concert, released October 1964.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 02:45:49 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 11:48:01 AM »

I don't like it. I don't see the need for it. The worst of the Beach Boys' live albums, inferior to Live in London, In Concert and Knebworth. The covers are just silly.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:17:10 PM »

The performances are bad, the covers are horrific, but this album is a LOT of fun.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 01:18:13 PM »

Terrible track selection, a whole lot of the album isn't even live, but for Let's Go Trippin' alone, 2 and a half.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 04:39:43 AM »

Them girls are damn annoyin'... All the originals are performed with gusto, and Dennys drumming on "Johnny B Goode" is the best I ever heard him.

2 stars.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 12:45:45 PM »

Great album. I wish they didn't doctor it into something not really live. Would have loved to have been at both of those shows  Grin

2 1/2 stars
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 12:48:22 PM »

The two SOT Sacramento discs are incredible, the best evidence of the lameness of this LP.

Jason
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 12:53:08 PM »

My favorite SOT, Ian.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 10:07:22 AM »

whats on the SOT?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 06:46:10 PM »

The complete shows used as the basis for this LP.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 06:13:30 AM »

I agree, they should have put out the concerts like SOT did, just letting off those tracks where you can't hear the voices because of technical problems (I guess).
But this is what turned out and I think it's okay. The artwork is great, so I give it a 3

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 06:16:57 AM »

were there any other songs performed?
So the boys overdubbed more after the concert to hear it better on the record...nobody has a problem.
yet when they try doing it again for Lei'd in Hawaii, it's convinced as being a fake concert

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 02:45:00 PM »

were there any other songs performed?
So the boys overdubbed more after the concert to hear it better on the record...nobody has a problem.
yet when they try doing it again for Lei'd in Hawaii, it's convinced as being a fake concert

A lot of it is totally rerecorded in the studio.
They did a ton of other songs.

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 04:32:25 AM »

My second favourite 'under-rated' Beach Boys album!  Yes it's a complete cheat with the overdubs etc.  I'm not really bothered.  That's how they went about things in those days.  The album just captures the excitement of the group in their pure pop heyday.  Yes, I'm sure a better track listing could have been asembled but I sort of love the likes of 'Monster Mash' and the audience screaming 'LET'S GO TRIPPIN'!' just as the first guitar notes of that track ring out brings a tear to my eye!

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 06:20:20 AM »

any other covers performed?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 03:25:35 PM »

Tracklistings are easily found on the net.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 02:50:03 AM »

anyone got any info on what exactly was overdubbed in the studio. id like to know whats real and whats not...

MBE
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 06:35:40 AM »

This is a really cool album. While it may not be as good as the studio released I cannot fathom why nobody likes this. Most live albums have overdubs to some extent. Brian sounds great, the have fantastic energy the vinyl packaging is GREAT and man could Dennis and Carl wail. All in all the only problem with it is that it's too short. The blistering Aussie What'd I Say is the best live cut from the era. Brian actually had fun onstage before 76.
XY
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 01:30:26 AM »

I agree that the track selection is odd (how could they include so many covers and no "Don't Worry Baby" for example), but this was the BB's biggest chart success to date. 4 weeks #1 in the US. BTW, is there a mono mix out there?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:31:35 AM by Jasper » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 07:13:29 PM »

I agree that the track selection is odd (how could they include so many covers and no "Don't Worry Baby" for example)

It's meant to be an accurate representation of their live performances at the time. Many bands in this era included tons of covers in their set. Also, get this, they didn't want people to pay for the same songs twice. Why buy another Don't Worry Baby when you can hear Papa Oom Mow Mow?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 10:47:55 PM »

Can't get into it too much. 1/5
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 05:33:28 PM »

Can't get into it too much. 1/5

Same here.
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 11:47:46 PM »

Monster Mash?  Let's Go Trippin'?  Ugh.  At least the album has some charm, though.  2 stars.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 04:04:10 AM »

While there undoubtedly are too many covers on this album, the band do a good job with the songs (albeit with the aid of overdubs) and I actually like their renditions of the likes of Monster Mash, Papa Oom Mow Mow and Little Old Lady from Pasadena. The concert certainly gives the impression of how enjoyable an experience it must have been to see the band when they were at their commercial peak even if it has been outshone by later live recordings.

2 1/2 out of five.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »

OK so the set list sucks and there is some studio overdubbing... But it's kind of interesting to hear the Beach Boys do so many covers before they really started composing and preforming a lot of their own stuff. I kind of like a few tracks - The Little Old Lady From Pasadena and Johnny B Goode, plus the renditions of their own songs (even if there is cheating on some of them). Otherwise, there's a lot of fluff.

2.5 stars.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx