gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680773 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 01:55:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys as a classic rock band  (Read 8717 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »

You don't have to be all out rock to be considered classic rock. Consider Hey Jude, Imagine,  Tom Petty and the Eagles.  It just has to sound mature, as opposed to oldies that sound young and fun. Also, there isn't much room for over the top high falsetto and doo wop bass vocals in classic rock. I think the Beach Boys could pass with several songs,  enough to make a classic rock rotation.  Here is a list:

Caroline,  No
Surfs Up
Wild Honey
Darlin
Never Learn Not to Love
Celebrate the News
Sound of Free
Lady
It's About Time
Forever
Long Promised Road
Feel Flows
Student Demonstration Time
Disney Girls
You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone
Marcella
All This is That
Sail On Sailor
California Saga

FTFY.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 11:46:31 PM »

The definition of classic rock seems to have changed over the years. The first station in my area to use that description played lots of British Invasion era songs, a lot of top 40 singles acts like Bobby Fuller Four, Syndicate of Sound, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and yes, the Beach Boys. Oldies stations went back to the 50's; classic rock generally started with 63-64. Now oldies radio - what's left of it - seems to start with 64, classic rock starts with the late 60s, and if you want to hear any 50's rock 'n' roll, it's gonna be on a Music of Your Life station, or some college rockabilly show.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »

Lonely summer, radio is a joke now huh
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2014, 09:12:22 PM »

Yeah, the oldies stations suck now. IMO. Lots of 70s cheese and rubbish.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 10:29:52 PM »

Yeah, commercial radio is bad now. Surprisingly, I am more likely to hear Little Richard or Chuck Berry on a non-commercial station these days.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2014, 06:10:23 AM »

I say "Dance, Dance, Dance".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »

I`d love it if classic rock stations played the BBs. But for me to be a regular listener of the format they would also have to start playing the Ramones and get rid of the proto-metal, prog, hair metal, and southern rock that is beloved by the sizable redneck  portion of that format`s audience.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »

I`d love it if classic rock stations played the BBs. But for me to be a regular listener of the format they would also have to start playing the Ramones and get rid of the proto-metal, prog, hair metal, and southern rock that is beloved by the sizable redneck  portion of that format`s audience.

I wouldn't want to offend those who like the stuff you attribute to a "sizable redneck portion of the classic rock audience".

sure glad you said it!  but seriously folks, I hear the BeachBoys frequently on a n alternative Indy pub radio station out of Cincinatti.  They also play Zooey,  old crow, and tons of new and interesting stuff both old and new.  they don't play oldies (except for in context such as Etta James on an R&B show) or the Dead on the Grateful Dead hour).    I prefer the Beachboys be elevated to this company.  who needs classic rock format as it has evolved.    the Beach Boys included in this company of new and classic indie acts means they are still RELEVANT!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx