gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:27:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Wild Honey" The Song!  (Read 7269 times)
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2006, 10:59:59 AM »

Okay, I love the song.  I really do.  But whoever is signing lead (Carl?) is WAY out of his range.  You can tell that he's straining at many points through out the song.  That said, whoever that is does a miraculous job of staying in key considering how far out of his range he obviously is.

They really should have put the song in a different key (preferrably one that's easier for him to sing) or had someone else sing it.  I don't think it really takes a lot away from the song, but sometimes I just lock in on that because it just jumps out of the speakers at you.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 11:16:19 AM by analogdemon » Logged

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 11:19:22 AM »

It's just Carl rocking and rolling ! Love it !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 11:38:23 AM »

It's a fun song. I love the metaphor. This song and Darlin' showcase Carl's shouty voice, but he's always in tune, so it's all good. It kills me to sing along with it!

Watch out for snakes!
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 11:41:31 AM »

Agreed.  And as I said, he does a miraculous job of staying in tune, but he's way out of his range. hahaha

But I do agree, it's a fantastic song.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 12:21:53 PM »

Agreed.  And as I said, he does a miraculous job of staying in tune, but he's way out of his range. hahaha

But I do agree, it's a fantastic song.

Singing out of range is a rock trademark.
Motown made an industry out of it.
Listen to the Four Tops. And Stevie Wonder.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 12:27:54 PM »

Carl? Really? I never thought about it, but reflecting now- I think it sounds more like Al screaming. The vocal doesn't have the Carl subtleties, but I guess it's hard to pull off Carl nuances while yelling!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 12:40:21 PM »

Okay, I love the song.  I really do.  But whoever is signing lead (Carl?) is WAY out of his range.  You can tell that he's straining at many points through out the song.  That said, whoever that is does a miraculous job of staying in key considering how far out of his range he obviously is.

They really should have put the song in a different key (preferrably one that's easier for him to sing) or had someone else sing it.  I don't think it really takes a lot away from the song, but sometimes I just lock in on that because it just jumps out of the speakers at you.

analogdemon, I agree with you. I've never cared for the lead vocal on this song. I don't know if it is the range that is the problem, though. I always thought it was just a matter of Carl trying to sound like somebody other than himself.

I'm not too crazy about the song "Wild Honey" either. I always thought it was overrated. About the only version of the song I kind of like is the live early-70's version with Blondie Chaplin's lead vocal. That version rocks. The 1967 version drags, for me anyway...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 12:42:51 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 01:22:51 PM »

About ten years ago, I had a huge argument with my girlfriend about Carl's lead vocal on this song.  It was very seldom that I tried to impose my taste on her in any way, but she made a comment I couldn't leave alone: that all the Beach Boys anyone needed to hear was on Endless Summer (which she loved).  Needless to say, I made her a ninety minute tape of stuff that's not on Endless Summer.

When I previewed it for her in the car she zeroed in on "Wild Honey" and pointedly asked if Carl was drunk.  Smelling blood, she kept hammering me on that vocal, which I had always liked, until she got me to blow my stack.  I've never been able to enjoy the song in the same way again.

I still have the tape...

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 01:33:02 PM »

Awww hell, my ex-girlfriend and I had a similar blow-out over the Stones, pre- and post-Jones.
Her position, they were only good with Jones and everything afterward was a pale and straightforward imitation.
We almost came to blows.
The sad thing is that now I agree with her.

Overall, it's better to have impressionable and unknowledgeable girlfriends.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 01:55:24 PM »

I don't think Jones had much to do with Beggars Banquet or Let it Bleed so that argument never convinces me. But he does the best solo on I Wanna be your Man and looks like the perfect sixties popstar - that is the coolest haircut I've ever seen. I drew a picture of him. I should make it my avatar.

Sorry to go off topic - I love Carl's strained vocal on this. The whole thing just rocks for me.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 02:01:54 PM »

Overall, it's better to have impressionable and unknowledgeable girlfriends.

Also, impregnable.

This girl also maintained that the Beatles destroyed popular music with Sgt. Pepper, purchased an ABBA disc in my presence, and accused me of snoring and dressing funny.  On the other side of the ledger, she had seen a Beach Boys/Chicago show in Anaheim in '76, and (as a very little kid) had seen the Beatles in Toronto.

We're still the greatest pals, but just on principal I listed her actual date of birth on the Internet Movie Database and then (just to be safe) moved 2700 miles away.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 02:04:14 PM »

This girl also maintained that the Beatles destroyed popular music with Sgt. Pepper, purchased an ABBA disc in my presence, and accused me of snoring and dressing funny.

Uhhhh, could I borrow her number???  Grin

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 02:13:28 PM »

Another take -- I LLLOOVVVEE Blondie's take on Wild Honey in the 70's.  The band as a whole ripped that song apart.
Chris D.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 02:14:21 PM »

purchased an ABBA disc in my presence

For a second I thought you were Eran Levy.
Jason
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 02:17:22 PM »

Another take -- I LLLOOVVVEE Blondie's take on Wild Honey in the 70's.  The band as a whole ripped that song apart.

DUDE! Do you have the Live at the Fillmore East bootleg? That has a performance of Wild Honey from 1972 in England in soundboard-quality sound. Blondie RIPS S H I T on that track!
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 02:29:20 PM »

DUDE! Do you have the Live at the Fillmore East bootleg? That has a performance of Wild Honey from 1972 in England in soundboard-quality sound. Blondie RIPS S H I T on that track!

My FM is not accepting dalmations!  Smiley
------------------------------------------------->
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 09:09:15 PM by monkee knutz » Logged
Jason
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 02:32:37 PM »

EDITED MOTHERFUCKER!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 02:38:05 PM by Dr. UNH, Esq. aka Jason » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 02:35:26 PM »

Don't advertise trades, dudes, or all we'll be sharing is a 404.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 02:53:49 PM »

I think he does a great job on this song.

It sounds exactly how it should do.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 02:57:30 PM »

This girl also maintained that the Beatles destroyed popular music with Sgt. Pepper, purchased an ABBA disc in my presence, and accused me of snoring and dressing funny.

Uhhhh, could I borrow her number???  Grin

Actually, you two would hit it right off.  And she lives right in town with you.  So no way.

I have to say Exile On Main Street makes a great case for the post-Jones Stones, but they definitely stopped being as adventurous and settled into a single main groove after '69.  That's also when they started to become a cartoon of themselves.

I should add that my brother also had a negative reaction to Carl's vocal on "Wild Honey", which puzzles me a little once again since I've always loved it.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 08:49:16 PM »

Just tell them what the song is about and they may appreciate it more.

Watch out for snakes!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 08:58:26 PM »

Cunnilingus. What makes life worth living.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 09:08:07 PM »

I love the way Carl sings "Wild Honey," strained out-of-range vocals and all. It's so cool hearing Carl caught in the moment of developing his signature singing style -- his voice is not quite fully ripened on WH. I would have loved to have heard him sing it live, especially once he hit his stride vocally and performancewise, but alas that didn't happen.

I did see Blondie sing WH on a couple of occasions, and he really rocked it. But the guy who really kicks out the jams on WH live is Matt Jardine. You can hear Matt singing WH on Al's Live in Vegas album. His reading of WH at the CWF Benefit Show at the El Rey in 2001 was just amazing, especially with Skunk Baxter's sizzling guitar.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 02:14:28 AM »

It never struck me that Carl's vocals were off in any way on Wild Honey.. I thought it was supposed to sound that way.

Awesome song, really easy to play, and now that I know what it's really about, I'll be playing it more often.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2006, 02:49:04 PM »

I thought it was supposed to sound that way.

It is.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx