gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:35:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AL JARDINE - CALIFORNIA DREAMIN' SAMPLE  (Read 8851 times)
Tom Martin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2008, 01:36:57 PM »

Al Jardine's web site has posted a new sample of "California Dreamin'"
from his forthcoming solo album.

Singing on the song is David Crosby and Glen Campbell with John Stamos on bongos.

In the posted sample, you can hear Al on the lead and David Crosby backing him.

www.AlJardine.com
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 02:37:45 PM »

Bleh.

Come on, if Al REALLY didn't have original material available, couldn't he cover ANY OTHER John Philips song? What about "Monday Monday"? Al's nuts.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 02:51:23 PM »

He is indeed. - The true nutter within the Beach Boys.

What about Topanga Canyon? Now that's a John Phillips song that really fits the style I would love to hear from Al.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 02:54:09 PM »

Come on, if Al REALLY didn't have original material available, couldn't he cover ANY OTHER John Philips song? What about "Monday Monday"?

Well I guess he wants to stick with the California theme.

A remake of a song he has already remade seems a bit pointless. There must be a few unknown Californian gems out there somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:56:16 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 03:18:27 PM »

The true nutter within the Beach Boys.

Cheesy A remake of a remake of a remake....

I wonder who Al listens to for feedback, if anybody? When Al decides to remake all of these songs, who is saying, "Yeah, great idea. Don't bother writing any new material, re-record as many old songs as you can. That's what the fans want". ::)Is Al doing this because HE finds it fulfilling?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »

It could be Brian Wilson and Bob Dylan on lead vocals and I wouldn't listen, nobody needs a new version of California Dreamin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 03:31:53 PM »

It's John Stamos on bongos people. I can't wait!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 03:32:47 PM »

I wonder who Al listens to for feedback, if anybody?

Oh, I dunno, maybe he's listened to the people who've bitched every time he has recorded a new song.  As shown by the rapturous reception given to "PT Cruiser" and "California Energy Blues".  Fans will bite the hand no matter what it feeds them.

Or maybe he's noticed that Brian Wilson's comeback doesn't seem to have been hurt by a few re-recordings over the years...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 04:26:30 PM »

Whatever guys, I don't care if he re-covers songs, it's a NEW SONG from one of THE BEACH BOYS. Shouldn't that be all that matters at this point?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »

Is Al doing this because HE finds it fulfilling?
Hopefully. Because whether I agree with him (I don't: vehemently), that's the reason to make music. If he sat around in focus groups or reading message boards to hear what people wanted, I'd be far more disappointed in him. A musician should do what a musician wants to do. If I don't like it, that's my problem.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 06:35:07 PM »

Whatever guys, I don't care if he re-covers songs, it's a NEW SONG from one of THE BEACH BOYS. Shouldn't that be all that matters at this point?
It was a new song back in 1965.

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 11:10:56 PM »

dont like this version. Why not do a remake from the song: Dont go near the water. Like that one a lot, especcialy the chorus with Carl.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 01:16:04 AM »

An album with "California Dreamin'" and "Help Me, Rhonda" sells more than one without.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 04:08:20 AM »

An album with "California Dreamin'" and "Help Me, Rhonda" sells more than one without.

You may have a point there...
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 05:11:40 AM »

Al's remake of this sounds to me just like a demo vocal version. And a bit slower. Like it lost it's wind. Listen to the original Mama's and Papas version, the 1983 Beach Boys one, the 1986 Beach Boys one, then this one. Wouldn't you agree? It needs more to it.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 07:34:07 AM »

Al's remake of this sounds to me just like a demo vocal version. And a bit slower. Like it lost it's wind. Listen to the original Mama's and Papas version, the 1983 Beach Boys one, the 1986 Beach Boys one, then this one. Wouldn't you agree? It needs more to it.

I think that's what they are going for: a stripped-down, unplugged, folksy, sitting-around-the-campfire arrangement.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 08:36:11 AM »

You may have a point there...

I don't know about that. The folks who are buying Al's CD are those who have Beach Boys CDs in their collection. Those who probably own or at least know the video made for the Beach Boys version. Even if we stretch it to those who made the latest Beach Boys comps a success... Another version of California Dreamin'? I don't know.

The 'occasional buyers' don't even buy Brian's solo CDs, so I doubt they'll feel moved to give Al Jardine a chance.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »

Um, let's try and figure this one out, Brainiac.  An integral part of the BB vocal mix and a much underrated one at that, but Al's no writer, is he?  He's put his name to a handful of decent-good songs for the BB over the years, but nothing more, right?  So you were expecting what?  Bob Dylan. It's clear that you don't look at Al as some sort of musical aesthete in the first place so why expect more? The guy's 66 and he's bringing out an album largely of covers - including some covers of his own stuff.  The stuff I've heard sounds reasonably pleasant; some of it better than that.  There's probably some cheese - nothing new in BB history.  Why California Dreamin'?  Is it a cover of a cover?  Not unless it has the crappy drums and awful sax break of the BB version.  It isn't going to sell a lot (though I'll buy it), nd certainly not to occasional buyers, but it's not going to be the worst solo BB album and it's got some good BB guest spots (and make the most of Campbell's because his recentshows in the UK were notable for his onstage beffudlement and being guided by his daughter and other band members in a way that makes me fear the worst - unless it's the drink again).  I'm surprised you're getting so worked up about it, unless you're just carping because you feel he jumped ship and deserted Mike and Bruce.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 12:17:42 PM »

Um, let's try and figure this one out, Brainiac.

WTF? Hey, if you wanna bring it on Male Ego style, I can deliver it as good as anyone. Get a clue.

I feel like whining about Al's decision to rerecord CD. So what? If Mike rerecorded 'Hot Fun in the Summertime' for a solo CD I'd say the same thing.

I'm surprised you're getting so worked up about it, unless you're just carping because you feel he jumped ship and deserted Mike and Bruce.

Nah, he was kicked out. Don't you read his interviews? Al deserves better diehard fans.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 03:00:21 PM »

Am I alone in really enjoying this?

Crosby's velvet voice holds together the minimal Friends-like track, and Al shows he's the only BB left with a full voice that doesn't need pro-tooling.

I wish Brian would record more in this vein, like he did with Walking Down the Path of Life.

The merits of recording another cover are neither here nor there with Al's album, it's not that kind of record.

Can't wait for the album.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 03:11:30 PM »

"WTF? Hey, if you wanna bring it on Male Ego style, I can deliver it as good as anyone."  Evidently not.  

You're living in a fool's paranoid. Why do you assume this was aimed at you?

You - "The 'occasional buyers' don't even buy Brian's solo CDs, so I doubt they'll feel moved to give Al Jardine a chance."
Me - "It isn't going to sell a lot (though I'll buy it), and certainly not to occasional buyers"

Unless it was your crack about it being a new song back in 65, but, as I said, why do you expect more from Al, particularly now?  It would be nice if he'd come up with all new songs, but that's never been his bag, so we get 'typical' Al - a few 'new' songs, some covers, some derivative stuff - all pleasantly delivered and sung well with some unnecessary guest stars (though the fact that Mike, Brian, Carl and David feature is a major plus this late in the Beach Boy game).
Jason
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 03:26:48 PM »

Brainiac...

Wow....someone's definitely gonna have a bruised ego after that one. Male Ego couldn't stoop lower.

Gimme a break.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 03:41:31 PM »

"WTF? Hey, if you wanna bring it on Male Ego style, I can deliver it as good as anyone."  Evidently not.  

You're living in a fool's paranoid. Why do you assume this was aimed at you?

Oh, come on.  Roll Eyes

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 04:31:35 PM »

....as I said, why do you expect more from Al, particularly now?

I'm surprised somebody posting on this board would have to ask that question. So, I'll answer it for you.

1. Al Jardine has been writing and recording songs for over 40 years now. His songs have not always been represented on Beach Boys albums in large numbers, usually one per album, if that. So, one might think he would enthused about the opportunity to record an album of almost ALL Al Jardine songs, and not have to share the space. Not that Al is egotistical, I'm not insinuating that, but most artists record albums to share THEIR songs.

2. Again, because Al has been writing music for over 40 years, one would think he would have a large number of HIS songs in his back catalogue; songs that were unfinished, rejected, or just not right for a Beach Boys' album. Now would be the logical time to revisit them.

3. This is a solo album. Most solo albums mean that the artist prefers to share his songs, his voice, his playing, his vision, his lyrics, his whatever. One would think that a main purpose for a solo album, again for an artist as experienced as Al who has never recorded a solo album, would be to record SOLO SONGS, not covers of others' songs. Been there, done that, several times.

4. Al owns the studio; he could EXPERIMENT as long as his little heart desires. Al's an artist, right? Why not do something a little more "out of the box". Just suggesting it, it's Al's choice of course, but still one wonders why he's taking a conservative route.

5. Al brought in an eclectic mix of musicians, many of them outstanding songwriters/lyricists as well as instrumentalists. Collaborations, on new songs, maybe? I mean, was it really necessary for their guitar or singing skills? Oh, it will sound nice, but what about some writing?

6. In Al's last years with the Beach Boys, he was very critical of Mike Love's direction, both in concert and in the studio. In my posts, I have been critical of Al about his complaining, referring to him/it as hypocrisy. I believe Al's solo career has proven my posts to be accurate. Now, when Al can do whatever the hell he wants to - away from Mike Love and the Beach Boys - Al chooses to record "Honkin' Down The Highway", "Help Me Rhonda", California Dreamin", "California Feeling", "California Saga", and a song called "Drivin'". Nevermind "PT Cruiser". While I can't say that I'm totally surprised that Al chose this direction, I think the above points that I have made do lead to some surprise and disappontment from Al Jardine/Beach Boys fans who have followed his career.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 04:49:42 PM »

Al could buy some original material if he wanted too.  Al should put together an album that re-issues all the songs he sang lead on over the years.  That might be an interesting  cd.

Otherwise the whole thing is a big yawn!  Undecided
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx