gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:47:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Grammy thread  (Read 14133 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2006, 10:14:02 PM »

Alright, who watched the grammys?  I just gotta say, it's amazing to see Paul Macca still rocking this late in his life.  When we're all (well, the youngsters amongst us) 70 or so, we'll be telling legends about the great Paul McCartney and how we were fortune enough to see him perform on television from time to time.  Just like our parents talk about how they saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, we'll be talking about how we saw Paul McCartney play "Helter Skelter" live on the Grammys when he was friekin' 64!  That was AWESOME!

I'm not into Linkin' Park so I didn't like the "yesterday" stuff, but I applaud Paul for basically being down for whatever.  "Fine Line" was awesome, though.  Plus, Paul always has the coolest pianos, this one had t.v. screens or something on it, really trippy.

I missed the first hour of the show, but I thought most of the rest of the show was just blah blah.  Kind of cool to see Kelly Clarkson win some stuff.  She seems to be doing a good job of trying to turn pop into art.

I'm pretty much sick of U2 so I wasn't thrilled that they won about everything. 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 10:20:32 PM »

Paul ruled.
So did Madonna and Gorillaz.
Kelly wuz kool.
But Sly Stone's 3 foot tall white Mohawk stole the night.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 11:19:55 PM »

The friggin cable's out in my entire building.. everyone was IMing me saying "Quick, turn on the Grammys!" and I could do nothing about it.. I'm sure it was lovely.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 11:28:40 PM »

i give two shits and a f***!
censor this beeyotch
PapaNez22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 05:55:03 AM »

Green Day won Record of the Year...I'm a happy man.

I'm also really happy for Kelly Clarkson and her two wins last night. She deserves every bit of it. And her performance was, as always, spectacular.

Paul stole the night in my eyes. The crowd went nuts over Helter Skelter.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 06:07:50 AM »

I just discovered the White Stripes album same day it won the Grammy.  Initial thoughts -- it earned it.

Skipped the show.  So of COURSE Macca is awesome and Sly Stone shows up....
GP1138
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 06:44:56 AM »

Macca was pretty damned good. The Sly performance was great. I hate Madonna, so I won't comment on her.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 07:02:09 AM »

i thought the Sly tribute was a mess.....he did not look well.....is he suffering from osteoporosis? his neck bent over and very thin, it was a bit shocking.
they should have got Prince and Larry Graham with Prince's band as back up...that would have helped FUNK it up.
joss stone ...argh.....maroon 5 ...double arrggh..and Perry , Tyler...please go away....none of these guy's can play a note of FUNK especially the kind Sly cooked up in his prime.

did anyone notice Randy Jackson from idol fame playing bass .....
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 07:08:22 AM »

Helter Skelter, huh?? Huh No atypical Hey Jude?? Man! Wish I'd have seen that. How long before it turns up online?  Grin
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 07:14:00 AM »

Macca has been playing Helter Skelter on his current tour......i thought his voice sounded a bit hoarse. i know he has been on the road for a while , so maybe it's catching up to him. He has a killer band !!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 07:21:54 AM »

I take it the Dylan documentary won the best long video award (or whatever they call it), rather than 'Beautifiul Dreamer''?

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 07:24:38 AM »

Yeah, Dylan beat out Smile. Eh. Smile is a better overall DVD. Can't beat those menus. Whatever.

I thought the show was okay. I’ve seen much worse. Certainly enjoyed Sir Paul, would have enjoyed him leaving with a trophy more. Nice surprise performance of “Yesterday”, it would have been better if that guy wasn’t talking through the whole thing. Sir Paul agrees.

"Yesterday…yeah, uhn….all my troubles seemed so far away….West Coast!….now it looks like they are here to stay…yeah, uhng….oh I believe in Yesterday….b*tch….Suddenly…yeah uh…I’m not half the man I used to be….word…there’s a shadow hanging over me…SHAKE DAT AZZ….oh yesterday, came suddenly…. …..DOWNLOAD THE GREY ALBUM NOW......mmmm Yesterday."

Neil Young’s album deserved something. What was it doing in “Best Rock Album” category? It was a gentle album. At least he got a nomination.

Madonna was good. I like her legs and her rump. Sexy old Milf. Nuff said.

I was rooting for Kelly Clarkson to beat out all those big shots. Take that, Mariah Carey! She has a great voice, and although it’s not my bag, I think her album was pretty strong (my wife has it). Good move not thanking “American Idol” during her speech. Best to distance herself from that fiasco.

Sly Stones performance was a trip. They should have found some better talent for him to share the stage with (apparently all these people are on a Sly Stone tribute album, conveniently released the day before the Grammy Show). Sly came, he saw, he split. Leave ‘em wanting more. Not sure of his health. Heard that he is not well. Great to see him, though.

Didn’t Green Day’s album come out like 2 years ago? Why are they still winning awards? I guess I shouldn’t complain and be thankful that a rock act won the award. Same goes for U2. It seems like they’ve dominated the show the past 3 years, with “All That You Can’t Leave Behind” somehow being carried over for 2 years, meanwhile they can’t find a loophole to get Johnny Cash’s American V any awards. Never mind, I’m getting off track.

The Grammys never get it right, although this year I don’t think there was really that much to choose from. I still don’t understand why some really important awards are presented off camera. They miss the boat most times, what with groups like Radiohead and Beck dropping masterpieces in the 90’s but not getting nominated until later on for “lesser” works. (Odelay gets overlooked, Midnite Vultures gets a nod for album of the year. Duh. Too little too late, people).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 07:34:17 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 07:51:44 AM »

The Grammy's suck.  There are 20 live performances, and 8 awards given out.  There were only two awards given out in the first 70 minutes of the show. 

You know the music industury sucks when "Hollaback Girl" is up for SONG OF THE YEAR!  HOLY MERDA!!  And how is it that Green Day and Gwen Stefani can be up for Grammy's they were up for last year for the same albums?  Gwen's album was up for Album of the Year and it came out in 2004!
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 08:13:17 AM »

I watched until Paul was on (which I enjoyed immensely Grin)... after that I shut it off.  The modern music in general does nothing for me.

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 08:25:19 AM »

The Grammy's suck.  There are 20 live performances, and 8 awards given out.  There were only two awards given out in the first 70 minutes of the show. 

You know the music industury sucks when "Hollaback Girl" is up for SONG OF THE YEAR!  HOLY MERDA!!  And how is it that Green Day and Gwen Stefani can be up for Grammy's they were up for last year for the same albums?  Gwen's album was up for Album of the Year and it came out in 2004!

Thank You so much, for a while there I thought I was  going senial at a very very very very young age....

xoox
suga
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 09:17:34 AM »

Quote from: TV Forces
There are 20 live performances, and 8 awards given out.  There were only two awards given out in the first 70 minutes of the show.
Yeah, but I would say that's the only reason to watch the show, for the performances. The last thing you need to know is who's taking the awards home. I stopped caring about the winners and losers decades ago, the only value it has is as a fairly exciting performance showcase.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 09:28:08 AM »

Hollaback Girl being song of the year is like Bridge Over Trouble getting pushed aside for "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies.

Non of these so-called contenders for "Song of the Year" ever stand the test of time. Where are the modern day "What's Going On?s", "Yesterday"s and, uh... uh,  "Afternoon Delights"?

The life span of todays music is unbelievable short. The crap my wife is grooving to presently seems to evaporate after the 5 week expiration date. Then it will occur to me a year from now. "Oh yeah, whatever happened to that song, uh, how did it go?" and I can't even remember anyway. There are no earth-shattering songs being released on a large scale anymore. Mariah's song gets tons of airplay, but who's going to give a merda a year form now? No one. There will be another song that sounds just like it released in a few months and the sheep will move their herd over to the new thing for a little while.

Maybe the "popular music" genre has run it's coarse. I thought Radiohead were doing something important, but they got ignored in favor of Steely Dan.  1995's album of the year was Tony Bennett Unplugged. I mean, get with it. Does anyone remember "Sunny Came Home" by Shaun Colvin? Nope. Also nominated in the category - Mmm Bop by those kids. Gimme a break. And this is the year Radiohead release OK Computer.

Did REM win for "Automatic For The People?" Nope. They lost to the Bodyguard Soundtrack. Which album will be the one people remember? REM's "OUt of Time" lost to Natalie Cole singing with her dead father. Who's the one breaking new ground??

AND WHY WAS THERE NO LOVE FOR JOHNNY CASH'S AMERICAN RECORDINGS? CLEARLY THE ALBUM  OF THE YEAR. He got one award. Best Contemporary FOlk album. Are they insane? Tony Bennett Unplugged. Jesus wept.

Awards are pointless anyway. The Grammy's is not about who's best, it's about who gets the most airplay, sales and hype. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some payola involved in deciding who gets nominated. YOu never see some little band no one's ever heard of come in and steal the show because the show is in the firm grip of the music industy. Otherwise, The Dirtbombs would have gotten best rock performance for "Don't Break My Heart".

« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 09:30:08 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 09:40:53 AM »

Couldn't agree more, Bubba. One question: what was the Best Album in 1976? Best Song from 1983? Noone knows, because noone cares about that stuff!

However, I have to mention that "Out Of Time" DID win some Grammys. Not that it matters...

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
PapaNez22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 10:29:31 AM »

"Boulevard of Broken Dreams" was eligible for this year's Grammys because it was released as a single after the time period for last years awards.

My fave part of the whole night was when Paul, after playing A Fine Line, strapped on the old Hofner and said: 'This is the first time I've played the Grammys. I guess I finally passed the audition. I want to rock, and I want to rock now." Then broke into a ripping Helter Skelter.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 10:49:07 AM »

here he is

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 11:04:04 AM »

Couldn't agree more, Bubba. One question: what was the Best Album in 1976? Best Song from 1983? Noone knows, because noone cares about that stuff!

However, I have to mention that "Out Of Time" DID win some Grammys. Not that it matters...

Best Album of 76 was Stevie Wonder songs in Key Of Life. Best song of 83 was Beat It. So sometimes they get it right, I guess. Don't tell them I said that.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 11:17:58 AM »

didn't they vote Milli Vanilli best new artist ??
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 11:26:09 AM »

The Grammies are nothing more but recording industry pap.

Green Day did make a statement with their American Idiot and I think it's a fine album.  But let's be honest here...Macca got chosen, just like The Stones got chosen to do the Incompetant Referee Festival (aka Super Bowl XL), for the same reasons.  There AREN'T ANY groups that can cover a whole lot of audiences anymore.  

Mariah Carey is nothing but a psychotic windbag of vocal acrobatics and a pet of the biggest sleazeballs ever who reside in the recording industry.  She's a sleazeball herself who used to sleep with anyone and anything to make her famous. If you've done anything in the recording industry, you'd know that her genre is full of more sleaze (as Dave Gilmour calls them "complete dickheads") full of idiots that deserve nothing less than dying in a big tour bus fire.  

They have destroyed our music, they've screwed the public and whenever they have a grievance, they put penalties on it that compete with someone who killed somebody towards us, the listening public for "copying" and whatever crybaby garbage that Lars Ulrich and his lemmings throw out there.

They slam us to the hilt with commercials, crap products and a very unpredictable industry all catered to the generation behind mine which is full of a bunch of whiny, timed-out, raised on cell phones and credit cards idiots who don't know their asses from a hole in the ground.  

So am I not shocked at the choosings and the disregard of some good young talents.  

Warner, Atlantic, Sony and Uni should all have their headquarters burned to the mother f****ing ground.  And if people like the B.W. camp defend these idiots, then the hell with them too.  

Sick and tired of this nonsense.  I download my butt off and the last four CDs I bought were American Idiot, SMiLE, Saving For Silverman and Hot Fuss.   The RIAA and their lemmings deserve the loss of profits and a tumor the size of a basketball in their backside cavities.

That's right, I said it.

Screw the Grammies, screw the Billboard Awards and anyone that tries to mimic the two.

WHEW!  That was fun to rant.  It's been a while since I've been here.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 11:31:00 AM by cta » Logged

Feh.
Maybelline
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 11:43:56 AM »

Nice one cta! Feel the same about the Brit Awards over here.. farcical music industry crap.

(BTW where do you download from?!)
GP1138
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 11:52:02 AM »

Thank you CTA. Excellent post.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx