gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:37:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big News - Mike Love records with Al Jardine  (Read 15934 times)
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2008, 12:09:30 PM »

A friend of mine thought that the omnipresent Brian Wilson was the short elf-like guy in the record sleeves. C'mon, that Cornelius clone, the mastermind behind the Beach Boys? NEVER!

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2008, 02:46:26 PM »

I became a fan in 1995, but first actually heard their story sometime in the mid 80s (I was a kid), probably around 1986 if I'm not mistaken. I thought they were all fat and bald! (Guess I juxtaposed Brian and Mike).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2008, 07:22:44 PM »

I never knew who anyone was before I was a fan, the only one I would recognize on the street was the monkey-looking guy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2008, 11:10:18 AM »

It will be VERY interesting to see what comes of this thawing between Mike and Al.

Wonder if any of our board insiders (Howie E) know if anything else is brewing.  I'm first expecting an onstage appearance with Mike and Bruce.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2008, 01:04:56 PM »

the only one I would recognize on the street was the monkey-looking guy.

Which one is that? Caught by the camera at the right moment we all do.

http://georgebushfacts.com/images/bush_chimps2.jpg

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2008, 04:00:34 PM »

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2008, 05:44:43 AM »

I'd think if Al suddenly walked on stage at a BB concert half the crowd would have been surprised that he hadn't been there all along. I remember leaving a Beach Boys show in about 2001 and hearing a conversation walking out after the show along the lines of "...now Brian was the tall one on the guitar, and the other guy drowned in a pool..."
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2008, 06:14:17 AM »

I'd think if Al suddenly walked on stage at a BB concert half the crowd would have been surprised that he hadn't been there all along. I remember leaving a Beach Boys show in about 2001 and hearing a conversation walking out after the show along the lines of "...now Brian was the tall one on the guitar, and the other guy drowned in a pool..."

I once read an amateur BB concert review that mentioned a very moving solo performance of "Disney Girls" by Brian Wilson...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2008, 12:05:52 PM »

Real fans will know.  I, for one, have boycotted the Mike/Bruce show but will go if Al is in the band.

Let's face facts, the Beach Boys brand is in a rut post POB/TLOS and Al coming back would be a great shot in the arm.  And Al still has 'that' voice.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »

There were good and bad things about the surviving Beatles reworking and adding their vocals to two John Lennon demos for the "Anthology" project. It was somewhat of a bastardization but in a sense provided a modern closure to their legacy. (Not that that was
needed.

"California Slide" has a wonderful, uniquely Dennis-esque, "Celebrate the News" type of free-spiritedness about it that makes it a good
candidate for a similar approach by the surviving Beach Boys, if everything came together that way (admittedly unlikely). There is, though,
a kind of almost sickening, contrived quality about the two "Beatles" songs that a theoretical reworking and release of "California Slide" would undoubtedly share an element of, but it is an intriguing concept as the conceivable climax of a theoretical Beach Boys swan song album project.

Of course, it doesn't help prospects that Brian once reportedly said that "the real reason the Beach Boys will never reunite is because I can't stand to be in the same room with Mike Love for more than five minutes".

A lot of purists will say that it is a repellent prospect to hypothetically redo "California Slide", but I think that if it was done tastefully and pro-
perly it could have merit and even be a beautiful thing. I'm sensing a buzz here, but of course it is in the insular sphere of a ( somewhat in-
fluential and well-respected) message board and probably has about as much chance of happening as "Dancing with the Stars" going off the
air anytime in the near future. Grin

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2008, 06:44:31 PM »

Of course, it doesn't help prospects that Brian once reportedly said that "the real reason the Beach Boys will never reunite is because I can't stand to be in the same room with Mike Love for more than five minutes".

Good post, mutedtrumpeterswan. I agree with your desriptions of how a reworking of an old tune could come off. There are pros and cons to it, and, like I said in an earlier post, I guess I could live with just one, if it was tastefully done.

I did want to comment on your quote that I highlighted. While I don't doubt that Brian honestly felt the way he did when he made that particular statement, it was only a moment in time. We all know how hot and cold Brian can get about certain subjects; just read his interviews and it's easy to find contradictions. It wouldn't surprise me (although I admit it's a bit of a long shot) that if Brian is listening to his favorite oldies radio station, and "Do It Again" comes on, that Brian would say, "You know, I wouldn't mind producing a Beach Boys' record again". Now, what happens after that is the real question!
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2008, 06:49:29 PM »

I was just thinking about some of the things Brian has said over the years and wonder if he is just uncertain, mentally ill, or if this is just his sense of humor or his 'way around' discussing certain things.    Or maybe a bit of each...

For example(paraphrased):

- Smile will never come out, the tapes were destroyed
- The Wondermints sound better than the Beach Boys ever did
- (Insert album name here) is my favorite album
- Murray tied me to a tree and beat me with a board(rebutted with Mike's adamant denial this ever happened)
- I was BORN deaf in my right ear
- I didn't know Dennis had a solo album
- Nobody thinks the Beach Boys will work together again

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2008, 07:25:25 PM »

Brian had no problems standing side by side with Mike on the Capitol Rooftop. For more than five minutes. That's it, rooftop concert and live CD, it's never been done!  Razz

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2008, 07:31:09 PM »

Yeah, and the setlist would rock too:

The One After 409
Don't Back Me Down
I Dig a Worm
I've Got A Friend..ly Feeling
Get Back Home

And then Mike says, "I'd like to thank you on behalf of the group and myself, and I hope we didn't f*** with the formula!"
It'd make a great movie ending.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2008, 06:36:16 AM »

And a sweet "Thanks Mo" to the lunatic who signed the band to Warner back in the seventies.

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2008, 07:56:26 AM »

Yeah, too bad, they won't drag a keyboard up there so the vocalist/bassist/keyboard player born in June '42 can''t help out on Let It Be Still, For You Baby Blue or even the Long, Tall and Winding Texan. :D
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2008, 09:59:33 AM »

this is awsome I hope they will make a reunion album after Al is done with his album and Brian being done with that lucky old sun (something i still have to buy and pacific ocean blue Tongue) I'm working on my own fantasy beach boys album by combining there most recent songs and im def going to use this song on my album
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2008, 08:39:10 PM »

Yeah, too bad, they won't drag a keyboard up there so the vocalist/bassist/keyboard player born in June '42 can''t help out on Let It Be Still, For You Baby Blue or even the Long, Tall and Winding Texan. :D

Dude...hilarious!   LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx