gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:40:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big News - Mike Love records with Al Jardine  (Read 16009 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 11:32:15 AM »

David IS on this album, tho - as is Glen Campbell.  It seems that Bruce is the only one who isn't.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if Al's "falling out" wasn't just with Mike, but with Mike AND Bruce. If that's the case, somehow I don't think it would take as much to mend the fences with Bruce. But, it is odd that Bruce "appears" to be left out....
Blondie and Ricky aren't on it, either!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 12:19:46 PM »

David IS on this album, tho - as is Glen Campbell.  It seems that Bruce is the only one who isn't.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if Al's "falling out" wasn't just with Mike, but with Mike AND Bruce. If that's the case, somehow I don't think it would take as much to mend the fences with Bruce. But, it is odd that Bruce "appears" to be left out....
Blondie and Ricky aren't on it, either!

Ah...but the discussion on BBB is about Al trying to re-create the early sound.  Blondie and Ricky had no part in that.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
jimmyd
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 02:28:48 PM »

Just to clarify for those who aren't aware, Carl is on this new recording by way of old vocal sessions for the song. Therefore talks about not achieving the pre-1965 blend because Carl is absent are wrong, although of course Dennis is not on it.

Just thought there was some confusion!

If you listen to the track on the al jardine website, it sounds a lot more like the 1980s beach boys blend, as I suppose it would.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2008, 04:21:55 PM »

Just to clarify for those who aren't aware, Carl is on this new recording by way of old vocal sessions for the song. Therefore talks about not achieving the pre-1965 blend because Carl is absent are wrong, although of course Dennis is not on it.

The disparity between the 1965 and 2008 voices of Brian should be noted too though as a big obstacle.
jimmyd
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »

The disparity between the 1965 and 2008 voices of Brian should be noted too though as a big obstacle.

True, though I've always been quite surprised at how well Brian fits back in with his more worn voice. Such as the 1985 performance of Their Hearts Were Full of Spring: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vy4eVYJQrs
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2008, 04:59:44 PM »

Still, your "recent" example is 23 years old... It's the Beach Boys debut to BB85.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »

I've been trying to focus on the positive, but it's still necessary to cut through the crap. Having Mike Love put his vocals on "Beyond The Sea" to achieve the early BB vocal blend is probably Reason #7 for bringing Mike in.

Al has his other reasons, more important reasons. How about selling his album with a "new" Beach Boys' song on it, or being able to list another big name on the credits, or putting even more guests on the sticker/advertising of the CD, or having something to talk about in his interviews, or being the one who brought the guys back together, or helping to get himself back in the Beach Boys.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what his motives are. I'm just glad he's doing it. police

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »

It's gonna happen! Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://hangout.altsounds.com/news/96032-the-beach-boys-settle-lawsuit.html

The Beach Boys settle lawsuit

Two former The Beach Boys have ended a five-year legal row over the use of the The Beach Boys' name.

Mike Love had argued he was the only person allowed to perform under the name of the band.

He sued Al Jardine, whom he claimed was appearing as an unlicensed The Beach Boys act, and had demanded $1m (£504,000) in earnings plus double that sum in costs.

A trial was due to begin next month but Jardine's lawyer Lawrence Noble said "a friendly settlement" had been reached. He said : "Mr Jardine feels very happy and feels that this is a friendly settlement that allows them to focus on the talent and future of this American iconic band."

The agreement was reached at the end of two days of Superior Court discussions in Los Angeles . No details of the settlement were disclosed, reports BBC. (nme)

Hey Melinda...can Brian come out and play?
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »

Ahhh yesssss!!  Great news!!  One step closer.

Come on fellas, light candles for Carl and Dennis, gather round the micrphone, and let's do this thing!!!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 03:24:20 AM »

And let's not release a piece of sh*t as the swansong - because that's already been done!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 03:25:20 AM »

I am not that keen on this project. Because material is being used that was done by guys now gone from us. We'll never know whether they endorsed this stuff. (BTW: I have the same feelings on Elvis' voice being tampered with; I disliked 'A Little Less Conversation' in its 'dance' identity, no matter how many representatives of the estate concurred; and the fact that it was used to propel the soccer world championships made it even less tasteful.
So: not for me, please.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 05:26:45 AM »

What I think or don't think doesn't mean squat to BRI. But....

Let's take 'California Slide', for example. Would I rather have it preserved as a lo-fi bootleg track, as Dennis abandoned it in 1970 (?), or officially released with block harmonies added in 2009 and great sound?

I'd like to have an official release PERIOD.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 07:51:08 AM »

... but Jardine's lawyer Lawrence Noble said ...

Al's lawyer is Noble?  You think he's a surfer too??  LOL

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 08:06:29 AM »

I'd prefer minimal-to-no Carl and Dennis. I'd be happy with something as good as TLOS as the songs. I'd love to see Brian co-write or recycle some music, and Tony Asher. Van Dyke or a wildcard like Robert Hunter write the lyrics, then Mike to come in add some hooks. I'd like a song cycle by Brian w/ the lyricist and Mike, which nevertheless has room for a couple of tunes by Alan and Dave.

I'd also like 1966-era Jane Fonda and a million dollars, which is also about as likely as the above happening.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 01:30:14 PM »

I wonder what Mike is getting in return for his singing on Al's album?  It seemed pretty obvious that, previously, Mike didn't need Al for his BB touring revue.

Obviously, a full on reunion needs Al and Mike, but, barring that, what does Mike get?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2008, 04:20:15 PM »

Obviously, a full on reunion needs Al and Mike, but, barring that, what does Mike get?

An old friend back?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2008, 08:05:31 PM »

That would be nice Sheriff but isn't ML all about the mighty $$$?  It would be wonderful if they resurrected their friendship and musical partnership.  If Al is back in the band with Mike and Bruce, it has some validity again. Just add David and pray for the occasional Brian appearance.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2008, 10:09:44 PM »

Yeah, people are bound to be a bit cynical about Mike's motives and rightly so, I'd say, given past events.

In some ways he's been very consistent in keeping a band called the Beach Boys as a touring entity. Unfreezing his various relationships with other original members may relate simply to ensuring continued success to this ongoing enterprise. As the critical praise has flowed so much towards Brian in recent years, he maybe feels that he is losing the PR battle and needs to add more music to his, er, day.

My feeling is that if a new incarnation of the BB as recording artists were to be driven mainly by AL, for the right reasons,  the results would be probably OK. Maybe no glory days, but probably OK.  I don't think they ever worked in a totally collaborative way so somebody would always be on top.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 03:24:59 AM »

I wonder what Mike is getting in return for his singing on Al's album?  It seemed pretty obvious that, previously, Mike didn't need Al for his BB touring revue.

A cool head and a warm heart maybe?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 06:15:42 AM »

Come on, give Mike a break... Is it so hard to believe that someone who's nearing his 70s just wants to settle a pointless feud with someone who he's known for almost 50 years?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2008, 06:19:49 AM »

I think Mike wants his friends back, but I also think we knows he's approaching the Beach Boys last hurrah and he wants to go out on a high note.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2008, 11:03:34 AM »

I think Mike wants his friends back, but I also think we knows he's approaching the Beach Boys last hurrah and he wants to go out on a high note.

Come on, John.  A little reality check here.  This is MIKE we're talking about...he's a BASS!!!!!
;-)

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2008, 11:11:59 AM »

It's the shame corner to 'fess up:

when I fell in love with the BBs first (I was 12 or so), I didn't have a clue, nor magazines or books to guide me, about who on their sleeve pics had what name, nor who sang what on the record. Later it turned out that I liked Mike's vocals best then, but to my imagination that lovely voice could never belong to that balding gas-pumper on the sleeve, so I attributed Mike's voice to the portrait of Al's. Who that tall, awkward looking fellow was? I couldn't care less. The drummer, or the go-fer, whatever. Yes, the small guy looked good. And why were three of them called Wilson? Some kind of in-joke?

Goes to show...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »

Come on, John.  A little reality check here.  This is MIKE we're talking about...he's a BASS!!!!!
;-)

Ha!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »

It's the shame corner to 'fess up:

when I fell in love with the BBs first (I was 12 or so), I didn't have a clue, nor magazines or books to guide me, about who on their sleeve pics had what name, nor who sang what on the record. Later it turned out that I liked Mike's vocals best then, but to my imagination that lovely voice could never belong to that balding gas-pumper on the sleeve, so I attributed Mike's voice to the portrait of Al's. Who that tall, awkward looking fellow was? I couldn't care less. The drummer, or the go-fer, whatever. Yes, the small guy looked good. And why were three of them called Wilson? Some kind of in-joke?

Goes to show...

I can relate. I was about twelve too, and had no information but their names - although I was surprised that when I finally got the names, and some small bit of biographical info from a cassette liner-note, that there were no Beach Boys called "R. Christian" and "F. Fassert", then some magazine posted a picture - the famous Pendleton shirts and surfboard shot. Since I had the five names of the core BBs - although obviously not the right five names to match that picture - I attempted to match them up. I got Brian and Dennis right. And looking at them, I assumed that Dave was Carl, the younger brother, because he kind of looked like a younger version of Brian on the pic. I assumed Carl himself was "Mike" and Mike was "Al". Go figure.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx