gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:22:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big News - Mike Love records with Al Jardine  (Read 15993 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2008, 04:49:35 PM »

According to Bruce, Mike added his vocals to "Don't Fight The Sea".
Aegir:
Mike recently put his vocals on "Don't Fight The Sea" with Scott Totten engineering.
Now you have Al, Brian, Mike & Carl singing all 'together' again on something kinda 'fresh' most likely sounding very pre-1965 classic BB vocal blendish........I think it's a cool move and I can't wait to hear it.

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
October 30, 2008

I feel proud for having given him impetus to give an official word on that.

I thought this is big enough news to have its own thread

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »

More posts about the subject from Bruce and Aegir:

"Re(3): Dont fight the sea
Posted on October 31, 2008 at 02:51:31 AM by Aegir

Bruce, why aren't you singing on it?

Re(4): Dont fight the sea
Posted on October 31, 2008 at 05:58:58 AM by Bruce Johnston

Aegir:
Well, I guess Alan must have been thinking about the early BB vocal blend that created the signature sound that made us all become Beach Boys fans and I suppose he kind of vocally went for it one final time on "Don't Fight The Sea".......
Some quick history: Soon after I joined the band in 1965, Brian graciously invited me to vocally record with everyone on the Summer Days & Summer Nights album (including "California Girls") even though Brian, Mike, Carl, Dennis & Alan already had a ton of great success with albums and singles so why would you even need a new voice? Lucky me!
If I were Alan at this 2008 musical point in my life, I'd try to recreate some of the early vocal magic (pre-Bruce) with original BB members. After all, it's those great voices that put it all on the worldwide pop music map!

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
October 31, 2008

Re(1): Ok Bruce but...
Posted on October 31, 2008 at 08:55:23 PM by Bruce Johnston

Henrik & Robert:
The recorded BB vocal blend before me was amazing and though I appreciate your comments about my vocal blend, I'm more of a fan of how it sounded prior to me recording with the band.

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
October 31. 2008

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:06:31 PM »

When it comes to him being part of the Beach Boys, Bruce comes across as such a humble guy, it's kind of amazing. Like he wasn't responsible for Keepin' The Summer Alive and all. Wink Joking aside, I think that's quite a likeable trait.

Really looking forward to Don't Fight The Sea.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »

I just wish it weren't such a bad song.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:41:23 PM »

From the snippet I heard on Al's website, I think it's a good song.

Ah, Bruce. Thanks for trying to keep up with Brian and Al in the Loopy Quote Game. So Bruce thinks Al is trying to "recreate some of the early vocal magic" Sure, with Brian sounding so much like 1963-64, Mike at age 67, and Dennis deceased. And, if Bruce is so happy that Al is going for this sound, why the "quick history" lesson about when he was brought in for "California Girls"; we all know about that Bruce. And, finally, according to Bruce,  Al "went for it one last time". One last time? You're classic, Bruce....

Again, the overwhelming news here should be that Mike and Al worked together again, even if it was only on a single track. Regardless of what Bruce says, I think it's a start (not one last time) of some more good things.
SG7
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »

LOL LOL LOL I was right about this  LOL LOL LOL
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 07:13:33 PM »

LOL LOL LOL I was right about this  LOL LOL LOL
I was waiting for you to say it, especially knowing that people flat-out refused to believe you when you said it!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SG7
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 07:40:52 PM »

Don't ever doubt me again kids. I have my "sources"  Grin  Wink
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:10:57 PM »

SurferGirl7, I'm not being sarcastic (really!), but could you tell me what you were "right about". I didn't think there were many who were optimistic about the Beach Boys working together again.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 08:17:22 PM »

I can tell you that a month or more ago, she said Mike Love was recording with Al Jardine, and that was delaying the Jardine album. Clear as that: Love is working with Jardine. She was not widely believed, to say the least.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 08:20:27 PM »

Of course, this is very exciting news, but Sheriff you make a good point.  Getting the remaining Beach Boys all on the same track is indeed monumental, but its a bit much to talk about "recreating" the pre-'65 sound.  First off, 2 of the people who contributed significantly to that sound are gone.  And even if Carl and Dennis were still here, there's no way around the fact that guys in their 60's can't replicate the sweet sound of great singers in their early 20's.  Time is extremely cruel to the singing voice (as are drugs, in Brian's case).

Even so, I still look forward to hearing the results.

By the way, nice going Katie!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 12:01:08 AM »

Ah, Bruce. Thanks for trying to keep up with Brian and Al in the Loopy Quote Game. So Bruce thinks Al is trying to "recreate some of the early vocal magic" Sure, with Brian sounding so much like 1963-64, Mike at age 67, and Dennis deceased. And, if Bruce is so happy that Al is going for this sound, why the "quick history" lesson about when he was brought in for "California Girls"; we all know about that Bruce. And, finally, according to Bruce,  Al "went for it one last time". One last time? You're classic, Bruce....

Again, the overwhelming news here should be that Mike and Al worked together again, even if it was only on a single track. Regardless of what Bruce says, I think it's a start (not one last time) of some more good things.

I think it's ok for Bruce to talk about re-creating the classic Beach Boys blend. Maybe he doesn't want to muse on how age has ravaged his colleagues' voices. What aged rock star ever analyses the deterioration of their vocals?! And anyway, I haven't listened to recent Mike vocals but I'd imagine he still sounds like Mike Love, ditto Al. Brian's voice, granted, is significantly different. I'm sure there will still be an echo of the BB blend in this new recording.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 12:40:26 AM »

I say that Bruce should add his vocals. Then get Dave for a guitar solo, book David Letterman and Jay Leno appearances, and give The Beach Boys the "proper" ending they deserve. Ok, so I'm probably a hopeless romantic.  Razz But when Carl died, The Beach Boys as a functioning unit died with him. And let's not start up the Mike/Bruce "Beach Boys" debate. I can see that argument coming.  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 01:25:39 AM »

I can tell you that it isnt a bad song. I heard a new snipped of the song from a fellow fan. It starts with the sounds of whales. The vocals are so nice.  Smiley

Of course i respect youre opinion that you dont like it. We all have different taste. Just wait for the finised version and than lets talk about it.  Wink
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 03:08:20 AM »

Keep it simple for the song. The more voices added and it just becomes a 'we are the world' deal. Besides, there will be plenty of vocals for Bruce on the new album next year.

Hey, the crystal ball worked for Surfergirl7. LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 06:08:26 AM »

Ok, roll your eyes, but we all know that this question would be asked at one point or another:
What songs could they do on a "album" that uses some vintage singing (Dennis and Carl)? I would hope for "California slide", I already can hear some great background vocals on that one.

Personally I think a album with some old tracks (featuring the voices of Carl and Dennis) wouldn't be unusual but it could, if well done, sell some units (see the "new" Elvis-christmas-album). Throw in new songs, like DFTS, and you could have a very interesting album.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 06:27:35 AM »

I can tell you that it isnt a bad song. I heard a new snipped of the song from a fellow fan. It starts with the sounds of whales. The vocals are so nice.  Smiley

Of course i respect youre opinion that you dont like it. We all have different taste. Just wait for the finised version and than lets talk about it.  Wink
Granted, my listening was before any new recording (with Love), but I heard the entire song this summer. Definitely not for me, and I don't see what a different addition to the vocal blend would do, because it was the song itself I didn't like. So unless he's completely rewriting what the song itself is, I'm suspecting I still won't like it. (Doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he's trying to do, though. Good for Al.)

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 07:19:52 AM »

Ok, roll your eyes, but we all know that this question would be asked at one point or another:
What songs could they do on a "album" that uses some vintage singing (Dennis and Carl)? I would hope for "California slide", I already can hear some great background vocals on that one.

Personally I think a album with some old tracks (featuring the voices of Carl and Dennis) wouldn't be unusual but it could, if well done, sell some units (see the "new" Elvis-christmas-album). Throw in new songs, like DFTS, and you could have a very interesting album.

While I would look forward to almost any kind of new Beach Boys album, I wouldn't want them to go that route of digging up old Dennis and Carl vocal tracks to record over.

First, it's too gimmicky to reconstruct those old tracks by "piecing" them together. Second, it might be a little too creepy to bring back, not one, but two deceased members. And thirdly, if the guys FINALLY got together to do something, I would want something built on NEW stuff. Certainly, there should be enough material to go around. I think it would tarnish any kind of reunion to be looking too much back instead of celebrating the current lineup. I have stated many times that the lineup of Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and Dave intrigues me. I want to hear what those guys can do - as a group in 2009. No disrespect to Carl or Dennis, but let's leave their legacy where it belongs - with the incredible work that they gave us. An interesting part of the Beach Boys history has been their different lineups/configuration over the last 47 years. This would merely be a continuation of that history.

All that being said, I suppose it would be nice to do one of those "Lay Down Burden"-type tribute songs that might have appropriate lyrics that you could put pictures/video over. And the song could be done like "Soul Searchin" with a Carl and/or Dennis vocal. Any type of Beach Boys project has to look back on some level; you can't ignore their history. They're an institution. But just one "Soul Searchin".... police
SG7
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 07:26:12 AM »

Well, bad song or not I am happy about the get together. The closest we might get to a BB reunion at all.

Now about that crystal ball...

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 07:40:16 AM »

Don't ever doubt me again kids. I have my "sources"  Grin  Wink

I wonder who they are...  Roll Eyes  Grin

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 08:14:47 AM »

Maybe Mike could come up with another Christmas variation on Kokomo. Hey, and why not record the lead vocal in Spanish this time?

No, really, I'd love to hear something like Cool Head Warm Heart sung by the whole of the remaining Beach Boys. Brian sure could come up with two rather personal songs and probably one Shortenin' Bread-type rocker.
Wait, and what about that Baywatch Nights song?  Cheesy
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 08:27:21 AM »

Yeah, I guess any new Beach Boys album would include the obligatory B. Wilson/M. Love penned "Wontcha Come Out Darlin' In The Summertime" song, which, if Mike had anything to do with it, would be a single. But, I also believe, based on a potential lineup including David Marks, that it could be a true rock and roll project. That's what Mike and Al do best, I'd love to hear some great lead guitar from Dave, and, if Brian really was honest about his concept about some girls meeting some guys at an amusement park, well, I'd like to hear something like that!           
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 10:35:52 AM »

I say that Bruce should add his vocals. Then get Dave for a guitar solo, book David Letterman and Jay Leno appearances, and give The Beach Boys the "proper" ending they deserve. Ok, so I'm probably a hopeless romantic.  Razz But when Carl died, The Beach Boys as a functioning unit died with him. And let's not start up the Mike/Bruce "Beach Boys" debate. I can see that argument coming.  Roll Eyes

David IS on this album, tho - as is Glen Campbell.  It seems that Bruce is the only one who isn't.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 10:50:18 AM »

David IS on this album, tho - as is Glen Campbell.  It seems that Bruce is the only one who isn't.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if Al's "falling out" wasn't just with Mike, but with Mike AND Bruce. If that's the case, somehow I don't think it would take as much to mend the fences with Bruce. But, it is odd that Bruce "appears" to be left out....
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 11:05:10 AM »

While I would look forward to almost any kind of new Beach Boys album, I wouldn't want them to go that route of digging up old Dennis and Carl vocal tracks to record over.

First, it's too gimmicky to reconstruct those old tracks by "piecing" them together. Second, it might be a little too creepy to bring back, not one, but two deceased members. And thirdly, if the guys FINALLY got together to do something, I would want something built on NEW stuff. Certainly, there should be enough material to go around. I think it would tarnish any kind of reunion to be looking too much back instead of celebrating the current lineup. I have stated many times that the lineup of Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and Dave intrigues me. I want to hear what those guys can do - as a group in 2009. No disrespect to Carl or Dennis, but let's leave their legacy where it belongs - with the incredible work that they gave us. An interesting part of the Beach Boys history has been their different lineups/configuration over the last 47 years. This would merely be a continuation of that history.

All that being said, I suppose it would be nice to do one of those "Lay Down Burden"-type tribute songs that might have appropriate lyrics that you could put pictures/video over. And the song could be done like "Soul Searchin" with a Carl and/or Dennis vocal. Any type of Beach Boys project has to look back on some level; you can't ignore their history. They're an institution. But just one "Soul Searchin".... police
Well, I agree, I hope they don't pull a "Free as a Bird". but I would love to have good-quality songs that up-to-now have been available only on bootlegs plus a few new songs.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx