-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:17:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Doe D'oh!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Doe D'oh!  (Read 16172 times)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »

I wish to bid a fond farewell to AGD. It was, er, interesting having him around. No, actually it was awesome. But the one thing I will never understand is how or why people who frequent these boards ever take anything written on them as a personal afront.
I'm certain, absolutely certain, that AGD has written many many many things that others might find offensive, yet he surely meant them as humor. Extremely dry, virtually non-existent, and British though the humor may be, I still believe he meant well. My guess is that those people who AGD finds offensive simply believe they are speaking the truth. What's the big deal? Computers aren't known for there subtleties where humor or innocent questioning are concerned. AGD, come back, man. It's the damn Beach Boys we are concerned with here, not anyone's Ego. BB fan's are nuts, that's what makes us so endlessly entertaining to ourselves.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:27:09 PM »

Did I miss some  announcement from AGD that he was leaving the board?  Maybe he is just busy, writing a book or something right now.   Or maybe he is just tired of repeating himself.

Let's face it, there isn't much important going on right now in the world of the Beach Boys.

And the more noteworthy items, like Brian playing a gig with David and Al, get hardly a mention.  Apparently, Mike and Al are talking again but nobody cares.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »

More like the Bloo every day...
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »

I agree, AGD's site is one of the most usable resouces available. Very good for sorting the whole mess of "officially unreleased" songs out and placing them in their proper context.

I'll still be checking it out regularly. I hope he comes back.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:53:35 PM »

Did I miss some  announcement from AGD that he was leaving the board?  Maybe he is just busy, writing a book or something right now.   Or maybe he is just tired of repeating himself.

Check out the definitive vocal credits thread. He's gone bye bye.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 01:01:08 PM »

Though I never exchanges e-mails or met him, I like AGD and what he brings to the message boards. I hope someday he'll write THE Beach Boys book. He surely has the knowledge, sensibility and balance to achieve such goal.

That said, AGD isn't making a big deal about his farewell.... Why should we?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 02:03:43 PM »

well that's frustrating, anyone know what board he moved to?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 02:30:15 PM »

I think he may be done on all message boards.  When he left here I went over to Shut Down and he was also involved in a thread there were someone was questioning some piece of knowledge he obtained by asking the person in question himself.  I think he just got fed up with people believing only what the want to believe.  It's too bad because I've learned a lot from him in the short time I've been around here, so hopefully he'll be back.
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 02:59:04 PM »

...who is AGD...
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 03:02:57 PM »

I like this message board though it goes through weird testy spats, and it will still be OK without Mr Doe
I enjoyed reading what he wrote though, so it's a real shame about this.
And most of all, the man obviously loved it.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 05:21:44 PM »

I appreciate everything AGD contributed here.  He also shared a little bit of inside info with me via PM, which I really appreciated.  Not too controversial, but maybe just some hints beyond the hints he's shared on the board.  Andrew has gained the confidence of some of the insiders, and it puts him in a tough position if he learns something from the inside parties and people just blow it off (or at least do so in rude fashion, which I think was part of the problem).  He can't even say all he knows about some things.  I think I'd have second-hand post-traumatic stress syndrome if I knew some of the weird things that have happened in Beach Boys world, from childhood through now, that Andrew probably knows.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 06:27:52 PM »

I think he may be done on all message boards.  When he left here I went over to Shut Down and he was also involved in a thread there were someone was questioning some piece of knowledge he obtained by asking the person in question himself.  I think he just got fed up with people believing only what the want to believe.  It's too bad because I've learned a lot from him in the short time I've been around here, so hopefully he'll be back.

Yep, that's what it seems.

And I agree with you 100%, I hope he does return, as he has a wealth of knowledge.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:39:28 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 07:32:14 PM »

More like the Bloo every day...

Why I'd like to meet Brian Wilson...  Wink

I do hope AGD returns.  Maybe after a break he'll reconsider?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 07:49:44 PM »

Ah that's a shame, I really like AGD, hope he comes back.

But sometimes he did give us 'solid' information without giving sources, so he's bound to be questioned

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 08:55:54 PM »

On the one hand, it's a shame that BB people are so offended when they're questioned.

On the other hand, Andrew is a class act.

On the nuclear-mutation hand, it's a shame that it was a debate over such a f*cking stupid song that chased him away.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 09:29:04 PM »

Well, technically, it was actually God Only Knows, rather than How She Boogalooed It, so that's a little bit more of a comfort. Tongue
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 12:49:26 AM »

I like AGD's theory that Country Air is the Air Element - Come back and prove it, AGD!!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 02:27:56 AM »

back home (good name for a song) to the blueboard !!!!  Grin
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 02:31:11 AM »

We've all relied on AGD for so long, we all know more than him....  Roll Eyes
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 02:53:43 AM »

Who mixed the versison for the video?  Linnett?  Ask him.  Put us all out of our misery and find out once and for all.  I mean, weren't there people here who swore they could see Bruce in the video?

Honk! Honk!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 02:56:56 AM »

But sometimes he did give us 'solid' information without giving sources, so he's bound to be questioned

AGD is so well-informed on all things Beach Boys that I'm willing to take anything he's certain about as a fact. Even if he doesn't give his source.
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 07:35:43 AM »

...again, who is AGD?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 07:37:18 AM »

ANDREW G DOE

an honered guest here at smileysmile and fellow Beach Boys author.

coined phrase: "you don't know Doe!"    Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 03:31:15 PM »

sounds like the bloody second coming of christ the way you guys are fapping on about him!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 04:21:09 PM »

sounds like the bloody second coming of christ the way you guys are fapping on about him!
Yeah, well try going through these 60 odd pages and you may recognize AGD's contributions to BB knowledge and history, a subject you might consider brushing up on.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: