gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:44:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: POB 3LP set  (Read 2287 times)
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »

I haven't seen anyone else post this, forgive me if I am just blind.

My POB vinyl 3LP set arrived today....bloody hell I am blown away. I'd never heard POB before, it's a really great record. I haven't got to the Bambu material yet, I am just giving the first disc a second go.

But the quality of the triple LP set....first off its on lovely blue vinyl, which makes  a lovely touch. The packaging is gorgeous triple-gatefold made from heavy card (though not as heavy as the US SMiLE release) and includes a separate lyric sheet booklet and a printed "handwirtten" message from Dennis. I suspect these are in the CD booklet too, but in 12x12 size for the former and 6x6" for the latter...truly stunning.

I am glad I paid the extra for the LPs! Worth the wait.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 03:33:56 AM »

I haven't seen anyone else post this, forgive me if I am just blind.

My POB vinyl 3LP set arrived today....bloody hell I am blown away. I'd never heard POB before, it's a really great record. I haven't got to the Bambu material yet, I am just giving the first disc a second go.

But the quality of the triple LP set....first off its on lovely blue vinyl, which makes  a lovely touch. The packaging is gorgeous triple-gatefold made from heavy card (though not as heavy as the US SMiLE release) and includes a separate lyric sheet booklet and a printed "handwirtten" message from Dennis. I suspect these are in the CD booklet too, but in 12x12 size for the former and 6x6" for the latter...truly stunning.

I am glad I paid the extra for the LPs! Worth the wait.

Nice. I have the original LP and always liked the photos (although I always wondered why the cover shot is the haziest of them all).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 01:20:35 PM »

Back in the olden days of the 70s and 80s it was said that colored vinyl was sonically inferior to standard black vinyl, so it surprises me a bit that POB is blue.

Is colored vinyl different than standard vinyl these days?
Was it ever?
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 02:50:11 PM »

Back in the olden days of the 70s and 80s it was said that colored vinyl was sonically inferior to standard black vinyl, so it surprises me a bit that POB is blue.

Was it ever?

No, some of the best sounding records out there happen to be on colored vinyl.  Vinyl is clear naturally so even standard black records have a color added.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 11:59:58 PM »

Was it ever?

I have the same experiences as the previous poster. I got white copies of Big Star's 'Radio City', and Jonathan Richman's 'Rock and Roll With...'. Both are superb.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 12:29:27 AM »

I'd heard that about coloured vinyl too. Perhaps the issue was with picture discs. They pressed smaller grooves to keep the picture clearer.

That sounds plausible, even if it's not.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx