gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:02:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pro Shot Beach Boys Concerts  (Read 262408 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 15, 2019, 08:11:12 PM »

There was definitely tension that day. Watch carefully and you can see Dennis send a drumstick flying and it hits Mike in the leg.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: September 16, 2019, 01:17:07 AM »

Maury povitch aired that day but was probably taped earlier. I think they played more songs

Ok, thank you! So that was something different to this.

That performance of "BTTYS" is definitely from the National Cheerleading Competition show - I saw the original broadcast and remember it well. The hosts were (then couple) Victoria Principal and Andy Gibb. The Boys also performed "Surfin' U.S.A." during the closing credits roll.

Thanks! Do you know if that was directly after BTTYS or later? At the end of the video they are still on "stage".

There was definitely tension that day. Watch carefully and you can see Dennis send a drumstick flying and it hits Mike in the leg.

Dennis broke sticks constantly because of his playing style. I don't think he threw it at Mike's direction consciously. On the other hand, Dennis DID try to push his drum kit onto Mike once.. so who knows...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:17:55 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: September 16, 2019, 02:27:20 AM »

Maury povitch aired that day but was probably taped earlier. I think they played more songs

That performance of "BTTYS" is definitely from the National Cheerleading Competition show - I saw the original broadcast and remember it well. The hosts were (then couple) Victoria Principal and Andy Gibb. The Boys also performed "Surfin' U.S.A." during the closing credits roll.

Thanks! Do you know if that was directly after BTTYS or later? At the end of the video they are still on "stage".

Dennis broke sticks constantly because of his playing style. I don't think he threw it at Mike's direction consciously. On the other hand, Dennis DID try to push his drum kit onto Mike once.. so who knows...

The Beach Boys performance was split into two segments, one in the middle and one at the end. Most likely though they were taped back-to-back and then split during editing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: September 16, 2019, 04:41:29 AM »

The Beach Boys performance was split into two segments, one in the middle and one at the end. Most likely though they were taped back-to-back and then split during editing.

Ok, I see. I guess I will put it on the list then.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 16, 2019, 05:48:36 AM »

I probably have more information on this but haven’t had time to look in my files-obviously a strange time in the band with Carl gone and Brian called upon to take a larger vocal role-which he really wasn’t up to at the time. Add to that the continual tension between teetotaler mike and out of control Dennis and you have a combustible stew
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: September 16, 2019, 08:47:06 AM »

I probably have more information on this but haven’t had time to look in my files-obviously a strange time in the band with Carl gone and Brian called upon to take a larger vocal role-which he really wasn’t up to at the time. Add to that the continual tension between teetotaler mike and out of control Dennis and you have a combustible stew

That two-song appearance on the National Cheerleader show is probably the only video in existence of the band where Dennis is the only Wilson present. 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 16, 2019, 03:49:09 PM »

Yeah-on camera they only performed those two songs.  The whole show was on Youtube a while ago-but not anymore
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: September 26, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »

I just went through the list and realized that as far as I see we don't have the AOL sessions by Brian mentioned. Does anybody have the date for this?

Can't Wait Too Long/Midnight's Another Day (Medley) (AOL ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zE03KXg3FQ

EDIT:

And do we know when and where the Pet Sounds set by Brian and Al in 2016 was done? Did they play the whole album or just a couple of songs?

Brian Wilson & Al Jardine - Wouldn’t It Be Nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_tWGUBFsz4
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:39:59 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 30, 2019, 04:03:17 AM »

The Beach Boys at The George H.W. Bush Points of Light Awards Gala, September 26, 2019:

https://youtu.be/4_YTrW7A92o

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: September 30, 2019, 07:29:52 AM »

The Beach Boys at The George H.W. Bush Points of Light Awards Gala, September 26, 2019:

https://youtu.be/4_YTrW7A92o

Great! I didn't know that one was filmed. Thank you!

EDIT: Phew, man that was rough.... They do sound better normaly, don't they? This one had echoes of the early 2000s   Embarrassed
And what happened during the ending of GOK? It seems like the "everyone, everyone" from Carl in Knebworth is being heard. But just that, the rest is Christian Love.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 11:52:04 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 30, 2019, 12:06:07 PM »

Yeah that was a bit rough. They definitely sound better usually.
I wonder if they had to use the house engineer rather than their own.

I noticed they played the "early mix" ending of GV with the flute. When did they start playing that?

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2019, 05:28:05 PM »

It sounds to me like the monitoring was bad. I've never heard Cowsill play WIBN so darn slowly! There had to be some tech issues. It's almost like they can't hear each other properly, and therefore aren't intonated as a band.

Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring sounded wonderful though. The harmonies were stellar. I love how clearly I could hear each guys voice. Mike & Bruce really shone on this song.

As for the outro of Good Vibrations, I think they've been playing it that way (gradually increasing the intensity, and note for note perfection) since 2016.

Also if you told me, when I saw Mike in August, that at his age, he'd hop off the stage, I'd have told you you were crazy. but there he was on Barbara Ann, jumping off the stage. Pretty cool.

There were definitely some rough spots, but by the outro of Fun Fun Fun they were cooking! I'll never get sick of hearing Bruce do that falsetto outro.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:36:52 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 07, 2019, 09:48:32 AM »

I think you guys are being a little harsh on this video.  Keep in mind this was probably done in a not so acoustic friendly environment.   Also after reviewing the video you can see that Cowsill was missing the mid-tom drum that he usually gigs with which definitely would alter his playing essentially on all the songs on the set.  I'm willing to bed the set up was sub par at best, however to my ears they still sounded fine. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: October 09, 2019, 08:02:41 AM »

Looking at this picture, it seems that this show was also (partially) filmed. But does anyone know more:

- Jack Rieley
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 09, 2019, 09:06:41 AM »

Looking at this picture, it seems that this show was also (partially) filmed. But does anyone know more:

Looks like the Hyde Park 1972 concert.  Three songs ("Do It Again", "Wild Honey" with Blondie on lead, "Help Me Rhonda" with Carl on lead) aired for a TV special.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewuwdg0-DKY

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: October 09, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »

Looks like the Hyde Park 1972 concert.  Three songs ("Do It Again", "Wild Honey" with Blondie on lead, "Help Me Rhonda" with Carl on lead) aired for a TV special.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewuwdg0-DKY

That's a good guess! IIRC there where two shows performed (and possibly filmed). So this would be the not used footage then.

- Jack Rieley
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 09, 2019, 11:08:17 AM »

i don’t think it’s the hyde show. the clothes are different. dennis’ hair is shorter in the pic and the stage is different. to me the pic is from another show.
and the two shows you are thinking about was in 1971 at central park.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 12:19:18 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 09, 2019, 11:37:04 AM »

Who is at the far right? It looks to be a woman. Toni Tennille?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:42:25 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 09, 2019, 11:01:27 PM »

Boston 1972 I believe.

https://www.gettyimages.co.nz/detail/news-photo/the-beach-boys-perform-before-a-crowd-gathered-on-boston-news-photo/649585366
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: October 10, 2019, 12:38:02 AM »

i don’t think it’s the hyde show. the clothes are different. dennis’ hair is shorter in the pic and the stage is different. to me the pic is from another show.
and the two shows you are thinking about was in 1971 at central park.

I believe there where also two shows played in 1972 at Hyde Park but one was quite rainy. This one doesn't look like there's any rain, so yeah, probably another one.

Who is at the far right? It looks to be a woman. Toni Tennille?

Yes, probably Toni Tennille. It's funny, I never really saw her on a picture of the band from this time, but here she is quite noticeable.

That seems about right, perfect! You can see the camera guy here as well.

- Jack Rieley
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 10, 2019, 05:06:06 AM »

Hi rocker.   i think it is from boston. Yes to toni—- she began touring with them in march 72. and there was only one crystal palace show that tv special came from.  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: October 10, 2019, 07:01:39 AM »

It's Boston, August '72. Billy is playing bass (in the background, second from the left), as he did on that one tour, and Charles Lloyd is there shaking maracas (he wasn't touring with them yet, but guested at that Boston show - oddly, only shaking things, not blowing, as Mike said he didn't bring any of his plumbing). Daryl and Toni were there, and the Boys were joined by the Boston Philharmonic for the second set. Audio is out there. I'm thinking maybe the film camera guy was from the local news station?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:02:24 AM by c-man » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: October 10, 2019, 07:09:26 AM »

This song looks to be "Heroes And Villains". You can see Daryl bent over at the vibes, and what seems to be a roll of tape resting on them! Interestingly, they opened that show with "Marcella". Also, they played both "Only With You" (just recorded in Holland, but not yet released), and "Cuddle Up" (with the Philharmonic, in the second half).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: October 10, 2019, 07:11:34 AM »

Also interesting that in both pics, Toni is just standing there!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: October 10, 2019, 08:18:50 AM »

This song looks to be "Heroes And Villains". You can see Daryl bent over at the vibes, and what seems to be a roll of tape resting on them!

If it is H&V then it's probably during the acapella (sunny down snuff) part, because Ricky is holding his sticks in one hand and not playing.

EDIT: They also played f@cking "Here she comes" at that show! Oh man, I hope there is footage somewhere  Shocked
Look at that setlist:
http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/8-23-72.html
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:25:20 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx