gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:41:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pro Shot Beach Boys Concerts  (Read 262377 times)
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 06, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »

Thanks to Barnyard2, I could update the list with the date (and link!!) for a show in Spain on Oct. 7th 1990. Check out the Killer after the Beach Boys (without Carl)

That video is crazy! They actually sound pretty good but the guy filling in for Carl is so distracting. Who is that guy? I feel like he's mentioned in the Stebbins/ Rusten book but I'm out of town this weekend and don't have the book on hand.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: July 06, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »

That guy is Stanley T. Sichell. He was in the band from September 1990 to March 1991 aprox.
This footage is special to me because it was my first ever Beach Boys show and probably my first ever show by anybody.
You can notice the crowd in front of the stage which was mainly formed by 14-15 year old teenagers. Besides being a free show, that was due to an album of greatest hits called "The Beach Boys Collection", which was released in Spain that summer of 1990 and quickly picked the top of the charts where it stayed until late September.
To date, this is the more commercially succesful The Beach Boys have never been in Spain.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: July 06, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »

That guy is Stanley T. Sichell. He was in the band from September 1990 to March 1991 aprox.
This footage is special to me because it was my first ever Beach Boys show and probably my first ever show by anybody.
You can notice the crowd in front of the stage which was mainly formed by 14-15 year old teenagers. Besides being a free show, that was due to an album of greatest hits called "The Beach Boys Collection", which was released in Spain that summer of 1990 and quickly picked the top of the charts where it stayed until late September.
To date, this is the more commercially succesful The Beach Boys have never been in Spain.

Did you catch Jerry Lee as well? He also appeared on a TV station's event with just piano at that time I believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIEU2YMZiic

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: July 07, 2014, 03:33:23 PM »

Did you catch Jerry Lee as well? He also appeared on a TV station's event with just piano at that time I believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIEU2YMZiic

Yes, I returned to the same venue the day after The Beach Boys concert to see the Killer, but I didn't have many memories of him until I watched this recent footage.
In 1990, Jerry Lee was in Spain in May and October too. That TV show maybe is from the May visit.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 08, 2014, 12:26:45 AM »

Do the shows Billy and Ed Roach filmed count as "pro shot"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: July 08, 2014, 12:09:28 PM »

metalk flake point posted a link to Beach Boys Family & Friends' appearance on the Regis and Kathy Lee show. Since it has a concert feeling I added it to the list. See 1998 for it. Thanks again metal flake point!

Do the shows Billy and Ed Roach filmed count as "pro shot"?

I'd say probably not. But if someone has more info about this, please post!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: July 14, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »

I just found two shows on youtube that weren't on the list yet. They are from the "glorious" year of 2000, one appearance on the Donny & Marie show in February, including an interview with Mike, Bruce and Stamos and showing a clip of "An American Family" and the guys talking about it. And the other appearance is from Good Morning America in July of that same year. Check it out
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:26:37 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »

I see TV shows may make the list. Not sure if it listed elsewhere but this from the Nashville Sounds period just turned up on youtube.

All live, 5-6 songs with Brian.

Prime Time Country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEf67JctcPY
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:29:20 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »

I see TV shows may make the list. Not sure if it listed elsewhere but this from the Nashville Sounds period just turned up on youtube.

Prime Time Country

Have to love Al`s comment:

Interviewer: `So you once did rap song didn`t you?`
Al: `That was his (Mike`s) idea, I had nothing to do with it!`

Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: August 08, 2014, 04:47:46 AM »

Prime Time Country

Wow!! Thank you!! I've never seen this! Will add it to the list immediately.

Yes, TV shows make the list under certain conditions. It must be live/no lip-synch to the recordings, more than just one song and have something like a concert character (I don't know how to explain it any better).

EDIT:

Did the moderator just say that Ronnie Milsap was on the Fan Fair show? Was he supposed to record with the Boys for a second album? Any info about that?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:02:10 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 08, 2014, 03:05:07 PM »

ahhh yes.......... good ol Brian........ disappears midway from Toby Keith's spot onwards........ some things never change  LOL

RickB
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 08, 2014, 03:48:14 PM »

Prime Time Country

I like that arrangement of "Be True To Your School" much better than the one they used on Stars and Stripes.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 08, 2014, 07:48:18 PM »

actually I thought the same......

Toby does a much better and energized version of the song here, than on the album......

by studying the S&S dvd, it would seem like Toby was really learning the song on the spot......

or well, had not learned it well enough to give it his own 'feel'..

RickB
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 08, 2014, 08:04:26 PM »

I'm also just a fan of palm mutes on the guitar in general.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 08, 2014, 08:14:14 PM »

actually I thought the same......

Toby does a much better and energized version of the song here, than on the album......

by studying the S&S dvd, it would seem like Toby was really learning the song on the spot......

or well, had not learned it well enough to give it his own 'feel'..

RickB

Brian -- "There's a lot of love in Pet Sounds.  I don't who says there is a lot of hate in it -- there's not a lot of hate in Pet Sounds!"

The guy is a leg puller....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 08, 2014, 08:42:32 PM »

ahhh yes.......... good ol Brian........ disappears midway from Toby Keith's spot onwards........ some things never change  LOL

RickB

The reunion was for an agreed 2 songs then extended by another.  This set was always envisioned as a limited run. At the conclusion Brian decided ' It was a great experience, it had a term to it, and now everyone's going on with their ways of doing things.'

Mike was heard to respond with 'It kinda feels like getting fired'

Grin
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: August 16, 2014, 06:13:48 AM »

I just added a link to yesterday's appearance on Fox & friends. Unfortunately I can't opne the video right nw and don't know if the link really directs to a performance. Could anybody shed some light on it for me?

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 16, 2014, 06:27:32 AM »

I just added a link to yesterday's appearance on Fox & friends. Unfortunately I can't opne the video right nw and don't know if the link really directs to a performance. Could anybody shed some light on it for me?

Worked for me -  performance of fun fun fun…

“We live in divisive times.”
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2014, 07:36:57 AM »

Prime Time Country

Have to love Al`s comment:

Interviewer: `So you once did rap song didn`t you?`
Al: `That was his (Mike`s) idea, I had nothing to do with it!`

Smiley

Al couldn't back away quick enough from that disaster. I believe he also did that with Hot Fun in The Summertime too.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: August 16, 2014, 09:04:57 AM »

Worked for me -  performance of fun fun fun…

Cool. Thank you!

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: November 10, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »

Does anyone know where this footage of Brian doing GOK comes from? Is it already on the list?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ls6V4v6wMxo#t=3154

- Jack Rieley
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 10, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »

Looks like the T In The Park performance in Scotland, July 2007.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VREZl5nnZWU
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:36:03 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: November 11, 2014, 09:17:36 AM »

Looks like the T In The Park performance in Scotland, July 2007.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VREZl5nnZWU

Cool! Thank you! Then we have another new addition!!

Here's another song from that show:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2y52i_brian-wilson-california-girls-t-in_music

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: December 29, 2014, 05:54:04 AM »

I just put Carl's performance as part of an all star lineup for Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry from 1985 on the list and also put a link to youtube there with it. If you don't have the DVD and you like some real good Rock'n'Roll, you oughta get it

- Jack Rieley
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 29, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »

Prime Time Country

Gonesville. Sad
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx