gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:55:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pro Shot Beach Boys Concerts  (Read 262491 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2013, 08:53:53 AM »

If that's Stanley T. playing guitar behind Mike, this show can be roughly narrowed down to sometime between August 1990 and May 1991.

Allright, thanks!
Who is Stanley T. ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2013, 01:53:25 PM »

Here's my original post:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12073.msg241782.html#msg241782

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »

Thank you!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: June 20, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »

Just posted this in the youtube-thread but it needs it's mentioning here too. Anybody know about the footage at the beginning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRQwLSk7Gk

- Jack Rieley
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »

If that's Stanley T. playing guitar behind Mike, this show can be roughly narrowed down to sometime between August 1990 and May 1991.

Stanley T regularly plays at this little blues bar in Long Beach CA called Boomers.

Each Sunday they have random guys show up and jam. I've had the good fortune of sitting in on drums with Stanley on guitar..... Guy is a monster musician.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »

Just posted this in the youtube-thread but it needs it's mentioning here too. Anybody know about the footage at the beginning?

Clip says late 80s. Erics site mentions Brian at one gig plus probably another early 89 where R&R music was on the set list. Maybe from those.

Philadelphia, PA January 24, 1989

Costa Mesa, CA May 27, 1989

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/set80s.html

..after another listen you may note the horn section. Both gigs were with Chicago and R&R music was an encore with the band in Costa Mesa according to the site. That may be it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:18:51 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2013, 05:21:01 AM »

Clip says late 80s. Erics site mentions Brian at one gig plus probably another early 89 where R&R music was on the set list. Maybe from those.

Philadelphia, PA January 24, 1989

Costa Mesa, CA May 27, 1989

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/set80s.html

..after another listen you may note the horn section. Both gigs were with Chicago and R&R music was an encore with the band in Costa Mesa according to the site. That may be it.

Ha! That's cool. Thank you! Sounds like a reasoned guess. Of course this certain show may not be listed on Eric's site but I will add it and note that we're not 100% sure

EDIT:
I just saw that it is already on the list as it was filmed for Endless Summer
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:30:05 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »

Thanks to Nicko1234 I could add a link to the show on 7-15th-2000. Check it out!

And kudos to Bruce for mentioning George Jones! If you'd like to know what the Possum had to say about the Beach Boys in his autobiography check out the "George Jones just died"-thread in the general music discussion-board.
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15576.msg380807.html#msg380807
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:07:59 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2013, 04:19:25 AM »

I could update the link to the '94 show in St. Louis with this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn905_69mKk

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »

Don't think I have seen the Chiba, Japan show Aug 16 2012 listed on this thread.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2013, 04:16:26 AM »

Don't think I have seen the Chiba, Japan show Aug 16 2012 listed on this thread.

Well, it is on the list but I hadn't put the link to the video in there. I just updatet that, so thanks for the hint!

- Jack Rieley
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »

Man, that 2000 Jamboree in the Hills video is so strange. Something about it it just makes it seem way more "fake" than Mike and Bruce shows these days.... even with the presence of longtime sidemen like Kowalski and Meros. Of course, Kowalski and Baker being replaced was a really positive change (I first saw "the touring band" shortly before Baker's we-all-hope final exit and the next time with Mr. Kirsch was a marked improved vocally) as I think few here would disagree. Anyway, strange video, glad it's posted.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2013, 08:38:20 AM »

This was posted by Barnyard2 in the media-section. Does anyone have the exact date?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roLCnndKnIY

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: October 21, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »

This still needs a date. Anybody with an idea?

This was posted by Barnyard2 in the media-section. Does anyone have the exact date?

And where is this footage of Brian solo from?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0r_IQu2720

- Jack Rieley
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »

It's from a 1998 Nashville Network special that Brian did with Deana Carter -- Front Row Center.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2013, 12:22:32 PM »

It's from a 1998 Nashville Network special that Brian did with Deana Carter -- Front Row Center.

Cool. Thank you! I don't think I've heard about that before. I have added it now to the list.

So, if anybody has info on this 90s performance, please share it:

- Jack Rieley
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »

Cool. Thank you! I don't think I've heard about that before. I have added it now to the list.

And...to be more specific, while refreshing my memory with Google...

Although the TNN series was called Front Row Center, the actual episode was titled "In My Room." It originally aired November 10th, 1998 (a Tuesday). Apparently, the "series" only made it to all of two episodes on TNN.

Edit: Also...Andrew's site has the actual taping date as Sept. 16, 1998.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:46:45 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »

And...to be more specific, while refreshing my memory with Google...

Although the TNN series was called Front Row Center, the actual episode was titled "In My Room." It originally aired November 10th, 1998 (a Tuesday). Apparently, the "series" only made it to all of two episodes on TNN.

Edit: Also...Andrew's site has the actual taping date as Sept. 16, 1998.

Thanks! I'll see if I add the airing date.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »

Thanks to Rob Dean I could add a link to footage for the 4th July performance in 2005.

And we still need info on this:

- Jack Rieley
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2013, 06:49:38 PM »

Here's some info:

Matt Jardine's hair looks like Whoopi Goldberg's.
Al and Carl generally look like they'd rather be anywhere else than there.
Mike's missing entrances all over the place worried about his stage act.
The arrangements sound a little tired.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »

pretty insightful.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »

Carl hurt his hand at 1:15? Man do they look bored...

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »

Carl hurt his hand at 1:15? Man do they look bored...

I can't remember Carl looking genuinely excited after 1979. I think he hated what they became after that yet had nothing else to do following his botched attempt at a solo career. Poor Carl...

Also, having all these songs next to each other is a terrible choice as it becomes boring and repetitive. Top the casual fan they all sound the same anyway and I have problems distinguishing them myself.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:00:37 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »

Here's some info:

Matt Jardine's hair looks like Whoopi Goldberg's.
Al and Carl generally look like they'd rather be anywhere else than there.
Mike's missing entrances all over the place worried about his stage act.
The arrangements sound a little tired.

That would be the 'Bad Hair, Bored, Poser and Tired Tour' that ran during the early 90s.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »

I just updated the list with a video Billy Hinsche linked on Facebook today. It's the Beach Boys (with Brian) at the Olympic Gala in July '84.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:12:27 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx