gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:35:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: can anyone describe spector's music?  (Read 8921 times)
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2006, 11:33:52 AM »

Does that LONDON 45 have Unchained Melody and Ebb Tide on it?   I have that one; it was my mom's and she bought it when U.M. came out.

I've always wondered why it showed up on London and not Philles.  Hmm.  Oh well.

I describe Spector's music as "echo soup", which Jon Hunt described it to me in 1999 or so.  I can't think of a better description.

Feh.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 11:46:08 AM »

I don't own the Hitsville box but have heard it several times.  I thought about purchasing it recently through a very good deal at BMG.

Question;  That was released several years ago.  Does it really stand up as a well done CD remaster of oldies?  Or should I wait for an upgrade of the material to come out?

Yes it stands up. More than that: It smokes more recent remasters like the Ultimate Collections, because those suffer from peak limiting and an overly harsh cold sound. Any newer mastering of these songs will most likely sound worse because of the loudness war and the idea that oldies have to appeal to the youth by sounding like a 21th century recording. Additionally, newer releases will more and more contain stereo remixes. Harry Weinger, chief Motown reissue producer, is very keen on those remixes, as the Supremes Number Ones CD proves, which contains not one single mix.

From the booklet of the Hitsville box set.:
Digitally Remastered by Bill Inglot and Dan Hersch at DigiPrep, Los Angeles, CA.

Throrough research was conducted at  the Motown tape vaulkt for this collection. Only original single masters were used in the mastering.

Analog to digital transfers were done with a specially restored full-track tube playback deck

« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 11:48:14 AM by Andreas » Logged
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2006, 06:19:43 PM »

Phil Spector's sound is that of a little man in elevator shoes, overreaching, throwing up an impenetrable "wall of sound" between himself and the world, reveling in an exultant rage.

That's what it makes me think of, anyway. I love it.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2006, 08:35:15 PM »

Phil Spector's sound is that of a little man in elevator shoes, overreaching, throwing up an impenetrable "wall of sound" between himself and the world, reveling in an exultant rage.

That's what it makes me think of, anyway. I love it.

Nailed it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2006, 02:40:05 AM »

Does that LONDON 45 have Unchained Melody and Ebb Tide on it?   I have that one; it was my mom's and she bought it when U.M. came out.

that sounds like the UK re-issue, does it have an orange label?
The original flip of Unchained Melody was "Hung On You".
Ebb Tide was a single in it's own right originally.

By the way Isn't the popular theory that Spector Didn't produce "Unchained"
Bill Medley claims he cut it for an album, Hung On you was supposed to be the A side.  On the original Philles single "Hung on you" as the produced by Spector credit where as the "Unchained" has no producers credit ( like many Philles Bsides).  Apparantly when "Unchained" started gettin the sirplay Phil had the next pressing say "Produced by Spector"
I have to say it certainly doesn't sound like a Spector record. Then there is that humdinger of a wrong bass note on the last verse, would Spector have left that in for an A side?  I think not.

NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 06:25:49 AM »

Actually if I'm honest, Phil's 58-65 stuff could do with decent remastering.
As great as the BAck To mono box set is, the sound is a little muddy.  Just Once In My life sounds very thin on that set, all way have to turn it up and whack on some bass.
The best sound I've heard from Spector is on the original PHILLES 45's. Unfortunatly ,being a brit, most of my Spector singles are on LONDON records but I have Philles singles of pretty much all the major hits, and they sound top notch, especially BABY I LOVE YOU.
One Complaint, "Lovin Feelin" on PHILLES seems to be cut off centre, i.e. the stylus moves left and right when playing, which of cause causes a fluctuation in pitch  Roll Eyes

I finally got an original mono of Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes (for only $50!), and this thing just sounds INCREDIBLE! Of course, it's only in VG condition, so there's some hiss in the background, but it's not very distracting, and the sound of the music is just crystal-clear, not muddy at all! It's by FAR the best sounding record pressing I've heard from that time period. It's MUUUUUUUUUCH better than any of the Capitol albums from that same period.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx