gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:17:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Unlucky Old Sons"  (Read 2615 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:12:17 AM »

Weird article!

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=703401

"On Brian Wilson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, the Waves of California, the Melancholy of the Beach Boys, and the Stories the Young Can’t Escape"

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:37:45 AM »

The analogies are stretched to the breaking point - I learned quite a bit about Nathanial, nothing particularly insightful about Brian that hasn't been said a zillion times before.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:13:04 AM »

YAWN
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »

I like it. It's well written and meanders quite thoughtfully. Bit like Greil Marcus loves to do. So perhaps I am a dissenter here. I read a lot by Hawthorne and obviously am a BW loonie; but that does not diminish my admiration for the piece. Republicans will hate it, and with good reason. And that's exactly why I don't love Republicans.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »

Seeing this thread title, I worried it was going to be another out-of-place political thread, like the "Rio Grande" one. Glad to see it was at least relevant.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:07:29 AM »

Since this is already a lighthearted topic, let me introduce this: OMG THE BRIAN WILSON FROM 1975 DYED HIS HAIR AND TIME-TRAVELED TO OUR PRESENT DAY (PROBABLY WITH THE AID OF HIS MAGIC TRANSISTOR RADIO) AND GOT ARRESTED FOR ACTING OUT "HEY LITTLE TOMBOY" IN PUBLIC! THE PROOF IS HERE:
http://www.denvergov.org/MediaRelations/tabid/426762/nnpg470633/2/cmd470633/arch/archDt470633/082007/Default.aspx

Edit: Wrong topic but I'll leave it here anyway. Darn tabs.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 03:54:57 PM »

Why do all creepy child molesters LOOK like creepy child molesters?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 07:31:07 PM »

I like it. It's well written and meanders quite thoughtfully. Bit like Greil Marcus loves to do. So perhaps I am a dissenter here. I read a lot by Hawthorne and obviously am a BW loonie; but that does not diminish my admiration for the piece. Republicans will hate it, and with good reason. And that's exactly why I don't love Republicans.

I used to be a republican until I found out that Mike Love was one. And George W Bush drove me to the libertarian party.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 08:57:44 PM »

I used to be a republican until I found out that Mike Love was one. And George W Bush drove me to the libertarian party.

Still one forever, sorry.  And BTW, hope the author knows by now the striped shirts weren't Pendeltons. Weird article.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx