gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 11:45:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS 27th Best Album Of 2008  (Read 3038 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:22:22 AM »

As voted by Rolling Stone

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/24958695/albums_of_the_year/19

Brian's still doing it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:28:55 AM »

thanks for posting this. I must say i even like TLOS better then BW88. In fact its his best solo release in my opinion.  Wink
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:22:36 PM »

It's among my own very favorite records of 2008 for sure. The few negative reviews of TLOS only proved that after BWPS people have stopped praising BW's music out of pity. Half-assed really would not have worked this time. They all knew just that and made the very best of it. Forget about the occasionally embarrassing TV performances - I want a "Brian Is Back" button right now (to go side by side with my "Back To Mono" one)!
SG7
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 04:21:20 PM »

I can see why it didn't chart higher. Not enough publicity and the mastering I don't think helped it. However, after seeing it live twice I have come to better appreciate TLOS for what it is. I think this was one of the few records in 2008 I bought!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 04:33:14 PM »

I can see why it didn't chart higher. Not enough publicity and the mastering I don't think helped it. However, after seeing it live twice I have come to better appreciate TLOS for what it is. I think this was one of the few records in 2008 I bought!

To be honest I enjoyed the live presentation of the album a lot better myself (as I did with BWPS)... not saying I don't like the album but there's something about seeing Brian's band live that's just so awesome... whereas in the studio they aren't as good imo... whereas the Beach Boys were the opposite, not as good on stage but incredible in the studio.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »

whereas the Beach Boys were the opposite, not as good on stage but incredible in the studio.

With the exception of 1970-75! Cool

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »

whereas the Beach Boys were the opposite, not as good on stage but incredible in the studio.

Are you sure about that? 1970: Sunflower 1971: Surf's Up ... both incredible recordings. And of course 1974 and 75 they didn't really release anything new (except Child of Winter)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 09:24:19 AM »

Huh

You're kidding right

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:35:27 AM »

Huh

You're kidding right

What I meant is that they were really great on stage in the early 70s. Guess I forgot to mention how great their albums from that period are.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 11:22:44 AM »

Huh

You're kidding right

What I meant is that they were really great on stage in the early 70s. Guess I forgot to mention how great their albums from that period are.

Ahh,

I was wondering how any sane BB fan could not like Sunflower lol

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 01:53:07 AM »

I love it and my appreciation keeps growing. I like to compare it to 'Friends'. At first TLOS and 'Friends' sounded a bit slight, unpretentious and unassuming to me. Perhaps because I compared them to what emerged before. But then I realized that I kept it in the player longer then many other new albums.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 08:25:12 AM »

Right up there with such musical greats as the mud crunchers at #26 and the obelisks at 29, and the modern turds at # 30.

What lofty company.

Rolling Stone has sucked for around the last 35 years.

I only hope this gets the attention of mud crunchers fans and they choose to go out and buy some GOOD music by a legend.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 08:46:48 AM »

Right up there with such musical greats as the mud crunchers at #26 and the obelisks at 29, and the modern turds at # 30.

What lofty company.

Rolling Stone has sucked for around the last 35 years.

I only hope this gets the attention of mud crunchers fans and they choose to go out and buy some GOOD music by a legend.

Wot he said. A pretty depressing list if you ask me. I have two (2) albums on it: TLOS, and Dylan's 'Tell Tale Signs', so: both by artists in the second half of their sixties. Makes me a man of good taste, it does.

What, by the way, do I think all of the time when seeing that sleeve picture of Metallica's 'Death Magnetic'?

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »

The Death Magnetic sleeve sure is in the very same league as Gentle Giant's Acquiring The Taste, though probably not intentionally so. By the way, I never would've dreamt of such a thing as having to live through yet another year of all new releases by Guns 'N Roses, AC/DC, and Metallica.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:51:05 AM by phirnis » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 09:48:43 AM »

The Death Magnetic sleeve sure is in the very same league as Gentle Giant's Acquiring The Taste, though probably not intentionally so. By the way, I never would've dreamt of such a thing as having to life through yet another year of all new releases by Guns 'N Roses, AC/DC, and Metallica.

Yes, horrible, isn't it? If someone would have told you fourty years ago that The Rolling Stones would tour large stadiums in 2008, would you have believed him?
And, hey, 15 years of working on Chinese Democracy, and coming up with that?

The devil is not dead yet. Not by a long shot.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 06:38:07 AM »

I just got the new Rolling Stone in the mail, and, if you go a couple pages past the "Best Albums Of The Year" section, you'll come to the "Best Reissues Of The Year", with the No. 1 position being held by.....Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue, beating out a Hank Williams and U2 set!   
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx