gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 12:46:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Marks as a Beach Boys fan?  (Read 2426 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:27:05 PM »

I read 'The Lost Beach Boy' and I don't recall much on what he thought of their music after he left. Except for the time he sat with Dennis and listened to 20/20. I am just curious if he kept buying Beach Boy records. Was he distance from them in the late 60s when they were unhip? Was he into Love You or Pacific Ocean Blue when they came out? On the flip side, were any of the Beach Boys fans of the Marksmen? Aware or fans of Moon?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
ghost
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 04:31:40 PM »

Little David was cool but oh my
He cussed out old Murry
Who beat his ass sorry
Little David was cool but oh my

He had sore feelings after leaving the band...
Jason
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:49:59 PM »

Hasn't David gone on record before saying that while he's proud of his association with the group he had no idea that there would be so much interest in them after almost 50 years?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 04:54:39 PM »

When did he think that? When he quit the group?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »

David performs Dennis' "You and I" in concert, made a recording of it too.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »

Well, I am sure he has (re)discovered a lot of recently. I am just curious about during the 60s and 70s if he was paying attention to the BBs.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »

Well, I am sure he has (re)discovered a lot of recently. I am just curious about during the 60s and 70s if he was paying attention to the BBs.

David pretty much disassociated himself from the band in the 60s/70s because the memories (mostly of Murry) weren't good, and also he was self-medicating to an alarming degree, something that continued through the 80s/90s. Recently, yes, he's come to embrace his time with the band, and he's very proud to have been such a big part of the first few years. More importantly, via the good offices of Jon Stebbins and his - David's - wife Carrie, his position has be re-established and his royalties reinstated (again, reversing the machinations of Murry).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 05:53:10 PM »

I wonder what he did whenever he heard them on the radio or saw a commercial or ad about them? That is between 64-97. I wonder what kind of feelings he went through. He may have put his time with the Beach Boys in the past, but surely his ears would perk up when he heard something the Beach Boys did after he left. Songs like I Get Around, California Girls, Wouldn't it Be Nice, Good Vibrations, etc. Surely he heard those songs at least. It would be interesting to know what was going through his mind the first time he heard them on the radio or what not.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 06:23:37 PM »

I wonder what he did whenever he heard them on the radio or saw a commercial or ad about them? That is between 64-97. I wonder what kind of feelings he went through. He may have put his time with the Beach Boys in the past, but surely his ears would perk up when he heard something the Beach Boys did after he left. Songs like I Get Around, California Girls, Wouldn't it Be Nice, Good Vibrations, etc. Surely he heard those songs at least. It would be interesting to know what was going through his mind the first time he heard them on the radio or what not.
You pose some questions that are fairly well addressed in the "Lost Beach Boy" book. In the book...David recounts hearing "Fun Fun Fun" and realizing the Marksmen would never sound that good. He recounts hearing "I Get Around" and hearing his guitar part in the song to the degree of wondering if he was on it. He recounts hearing early "Pet Sounds" demos or rough mixes at Brian's and thinking he probably made a big mistake in quitting the BB's. He recounts being at a "Good Vibrations" session with Brian and Warren Zevon and then later hearing it everywhere on the radio. He recounts feeling sad hearing the BB's live in '69 because they'd changed so much. He recounts being at a early '70's BB's session, and a BB's gig, etc...and not really liking their music very much. Finally he rejoins the BB's in '97, and has to learn how to play all of the material recorded after he'd left...and only then does it really hit him, that Brian was a genius. For the most part Dave wasn't a big fan of the BB's post '64 sound, he is more of a blues guy. But as AGD said he has come to appreciate all of the Beach Boys eras, and is honored to have been a part of the group's successful early days, and he loves some of Dennis' solo stuff
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »

You pose some questions that are fairly well addressed in the "Lost Beach Boy" book. In the book...David recounts hearing "Fun Fun Fun" and realizing the Marksmen would never sound that good. He recounts hearing "I Get Around" and hearing his guitar part in the song to the degree of wondering if he was on it. He recounts hearing early "Pet Sounds" demos or rough mixes at Brian's and thinking he probably made a big mistake in quitting the BB's. He recounts being at a "Good Vibrations" session with Brian and Warren Zevon and then later hearing it everywhere on the radio. He recounts feeling sad hearing the BB's live in '69 because they'd changed so much. He recounts being at a early '70's BB's session, and a BB's gig, etc...and not really liking their music very much. Finally he rejoins the BB's in '97, and has to learn how to play all of the material recorded after he'd left...and only then does it really hit him, that Brian was a genius. For the most part Dave wasn't a big fan of the BB's post '64 sound, he is more of a blues guy. But as AGD said he has come to appreciate all of the Beach Boys eras, and is honored to have been a part of the group's successful early days, and he loves some of Dennis' solo stuff

I read the book right after it came out. I guess I forgot about a lot of this. I just may go read it again. Smiley

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 07:19:56 PM »

I can tell you from a conversation with David that he has the highest respect for Brian's music, and for the musicianship on the records

If it runs amuck, call the duck
ghost
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 07:46:34 PM »

I wonder what he did whenever he heard them on the radio or saw a commercial or ad about them?

sh*t himself.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 05:21:04 AM »

I wonder what he did whenever he heard them on the radio or saw a commercial or ad about them?

sh*t himself.

Is that documented? LOL!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 07:12:49 AM »

he is more of a blues guy.

Makes him even more likeable to me.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 07:15:05 AM »

I'm glad he is sober and creating great original music again compared to the Endless Harmony documentary where he looked like a mess.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »

I don't remember him appearing in the Endless Harmony doc...where abouts?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »

I don't remember him appearing in the Endless Harmony doc...where abouts?
I don't remember the exact part ( think it was the part about the early days), but he was wearing sunglasses and he overall didn't look that well.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx