gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:31:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strange edits  (Read 2122 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:01:37 PM »

I’m referring to “The Little Girl I Once Knew”, specifically at the part where Mike sings, “Look out, babe”. Initially the instrumental takes had a 4 bar interval before the chorus but when the vocal overdubs proceed, the second bar is missing creating an unusual time shift (for Brian anyway) in the song.

“I’d Love Just Once To See You” in the section between “It’s not too late for you to take a drive” and the “baa, ba, ba, ba’s which has only six beats, not the usual eight (sounds like a hard edit).

“Transcendental Meditation” the first bar of “Ah, ah, ah’s” is clipped and not a full 4/4.

Does anyone know why these happened? Was it caused by tape slippage? Was it a conscious decision on Brian’s part (less likely IMO as it seems he liked to keep the rhythm constant)?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:15:39 AM »

I’m referring to “The Little Girl I Once Knew”, specifically at the part where Mike sings, “Look out, babe”. Initially the instrumental takes had a 4 bar interval before the chorus but when the vocal overdubs proceed, the second bar is missing creating an unusual time shift (for Brian anyway) in the song.

“I’d Love Just Once To See You” in the section between “It’s not too late for you to take a drive” and the “baa, ba, ba, ba’s which has only six beats, not the usual eight (sounds like a hard edit).

“Transcendental Meditation” the first bar of “Ah, ah, ah’s” is clipped and not a full 4/4.

Does anyone know why these happened? Was it caused by tape slippage? Was it a conscious decision on Brian’s part (less likely IMO as it seems he liked to keep the rhythm constant)?

There was no tape slippage and Brian made conscious desicions on these edits.
Producers and engineers make edit decisions based on flow, musicality and the need for shortening (in the case of a single). THE LITTLE GIRL I ONCE KNEW:I think that the they felt the second break was too long and it was simply shortened. The edit on I'D LOVE JUST ONCE TO SEE YOU, could have been made because there might not have been a way to connect the two sections at the expected spots. The chord change may have been awkward; the original edit point may simply not have worked (that can happen when the edited on portion has overlapping music/vocals from the previous bar on it).
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »

off-topic: what's with the monkeys in here comes the night?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »

It's a common disco remix thing to do. There's a "jungle mix" of the Superman theme that has monkeys in it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:51:57 PM »

NEEEEERRRRRDDDDD!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL

Just kidding.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:58:39 PM »

I mentioned this very same subject on another Beach Boys message board. I suspect that the awkward edit in "I'd Love Just Once To See You" may have been deliberate. It fits well with the general "off beat" mood of the entire album. It wouldn't surprise me if this is just another example of Brian's odd humor.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:08:52 PM »

I've always found the edit, or at least the timing, in I'm So Young to be kind of strange - the part where Mike goes "doo doo doo" and then Brian goes "Pretty soon..." - it feels a bit abrupt.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx