gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:46:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tandyn Almer  (Read 18106 times)
Jason
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »

Let us hope you never do.  Grin

Lollergram. Smiley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 11:47:20 AM »

Let's stop beating around the bush here..

Brian, a 3 way with a dude, not cool.  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 12:04:10 PM »

Why not, maybe they just serviced Marilyn.
Jason
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 12:12:20 PM »

I cannot believe you said THAT in this conversation... LOL

Holy innuendo, Batman.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 12:31:58 PM »

Why not, maybe they just serviced Marilyn.

Huh

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »

Embarrassed Embarrassed
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:50:57 PM by donald » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »

Quote from: Brian Wilson
Is it possible we could bring a horse in here, if we
don't screw anything up (...) Honest to God, now, the horse is tamed and everything

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 01:54:01 PM »

Bwahahahahaha

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 04:47:42 PM »

Yeah, that's funny, I think I remember the book saying something about Brian and Tandyn trying to sleep together and that it turned out 'to be more than [Brian] could bear'.  Shocked The possible implications of that statement are many, many, many. Definitely one of the most bizarre things I ever found out about Mr. Wilson if true. Makes you wonder about Mr. Landy and Mr. Wilson as well. Scaaary,
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 05:17:07 PM »

Watch what you say about Brian here dude. The book said he had a threesome with HIS WIFE and Tandyn Almer, which may not be true. It didn't say anything about them being a homosexual couple. And Dr. Landy was a surrogate father to Brian, not a boyfriend.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Jason
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »

Man, I hope this topic will be seen by blueboarders everywhere.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »

I think it's sort of funny how freaked out everyone is about the possibility that Brian was part of a bisexual 3way. Aren't there Queen fans here? Lou Reed fans? Elton? Bowie? The '70s, as far as I can tell, were not lacking in such dalliances by gay, straight and just experimental people. Who cares? Maybe Brian felt like trying it out. (Considering where we read it, quite possibly not.) But either way, he obviously didn't pursue that path long-term. And if he had ... so what?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »

Also, he was probably high out of his mind.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 06:28:28 PM »

Also, he was probably high out of his mind.
Oh, no doubt. I just assumed that was a given.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 06:43:17 PM »

Glad to see some Tandyn discussion on here....there are a few pics of him hanging out with Brian + friends that surfaced on here a while ago. he kind of looks like a tall Mick Jagger. In addition to writing Along Comes Mary for the Association, he also wrote the song 'Message of Our Love', also with Curt Boettcher, also on the Along Comes The Association album. He co-wrote Musty Dusty (also played by Sagittarius, Karen Karsh) and wrote You Turn Me Around by The Ballroom. He also has one solo 45 release, on Warner Brothers, called Degeneration Gap (killer tune). He wrote/produced Butterfly High/Sleep Hollow People for The Paper Fortress. This came out on VMC, for whom he also produced the only full lngth known to have his production stamp - Dennis Oliveri's Come To The Party. Another album he's on is the Afro Blues Quintet Plus One's New Directions ESP Jazz LP. Victims of Chance, Mystic Mambo and Incantations were all arranged by him. Wrote Poor Old Organ Grinder for Pleaure, co-wrote/produced Little Girl Lost-And-Found by The Garden Club with Larry Marks. Also had a song called Alice Designs recorded by a Seattle band called Mr. Lucky, and a song called Bring Your Own Self Down was recorded by The Purple Gang (he apparently wasn't happy with the bass on this recording though). I have made a nice mix cd with all these songs on it Smiley And as this is a Beach Boys board, most people will recognize his name on the revised credits to Sail On Sailor...Other than that, the only other thing that is known to exist of his musical is a mythical songwriters demo LP that was sold on ebay once...would've been nice to snag it for $200:
http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4037944049

TANDYN ALMER (Los Angeles, CA)

"New Songs Of" 196  (Davon demo 2257)  [no sleeve] 

Songwriter's demo LP with unknown performers, showcasing recent compositions by mysterious Boettcher associate Almer, who wrote "Along comes Mary" for the Association, among other things. Includes "Menagerie of man", "Face down in the mud", "Sunset Strip soliloquy", "Alice Designs" and other promising titles. The latter was recorded by Pac NW band Mr Lucky & the Gamblers in early 1967, which may indicate a 1966 date for this demo album.
[http://www.lysergia.com/AcidArchives/lamaArchiveA.htm]

And then yeah, he obviously has notoriety for inventing "the Tandyn Slave-Master, a waterpipe that was described in the headshop classic A Child's Garden of Grass as "the perfect bong." Quite the dude, and as you may be able to tell, I am fairly obsessed with him...

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 06:55:14 PM »

Brian, a 3 way with a dude, not cool.  Grin

No wonder the poor guy's the way he is now.   Razz
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 07:23:48 PM »

Even Hef admitted to an experiment in the 70's....as did Grace Slick.....both learned from the experience....that fad or no fad swingin 70s or not, they were, in fact, after all, hetero, and just couldn'tn help themselves...they loved and preferred the opposite sex.
Just showed they were open minded to those who felt ambiguity. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 07:30:51 PM »

Coke makes you do some things.

Just saying.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 08:15:20 PM »

Brian had an affair with his sister in law, for years. Come on, this is heavier than a consensual 3 way with his wife and a dude.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 08:22:12 PM »

Brian had an affair with his sister in law, for years. Come on, this is heavier than a consensual 3 way with his wife and a dude.

Depends on how heavy the dude is.   Evil
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 11:38:11 PM »

True dat. I always tried to picture in my mind how Marion Jones and C.J. Hunter would have sex. I never could.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 12:53:43 PM »

Also, I forgot to mention that he of course co-wrote Marcella and was lurking around during the CATP sessions. And he is also reputed to have been a part of those early 70's BB hit re-write sessions in which Tandyn and Brian re-wrote the lyrics to all of the Beach Boys' biggest hits, to bring them up to date/modernize them and then I guess the rest of the band was really unimpressed or something? I've actually always wondered about these sessions, so if anyone has any more info they could share it would be much appreciated

The last known whereabouts of Mr. Almer was aparently in Washington as he wrote something in the MENSA newletter there, which must mean he's a smart guy.

Glad to see some Tandyn discussion on here....there are a few pics of him hanging out with Brian + friends that surfaced on here a while ago. he kind of looks like a tall Mick Jagger. In addition to writing Along Comes Mary for the Association, he also wrote the song 'Message of Our Love', also with Curt Boettcher, also on the Along Comes The Association album. He co-wrote Musty Dusty (also played by Sagittarius, Karen Karsh) and wrote You Turn Me Around by The Ballroom. He also has one solo 45 release, on Warner Brothers, called Degeneration Gap (killer tune). He wrote/produced Butterfly High/Sleep Hollow People for The Paper Fortress. This came out on VMC, for whom he also produced the only full lngth known to have his production stamp - Dennis Oliveri's Come To The Party. Another album he's on is the Afro Blues Quintet Plus One's New Directions ESP Jazz LP. Victims of Chance, Mystic Mambo and Incantations were all arranged by him. Wrote Poor Old Organ Grinder for Pleaure, co-wrote/produced Little Girl Lost-And-Found by The Garden Club with Larry Marks. Also had a song called Alice Designs recorded by a Seattle band called Mr. Lucky, and a song called Bring Your Own Self Down was recorded by The Purple Gang (he apparently wasn't happy with the bass on this recording though). I have made a nice mix cd with all these songs on it Smiley And as this is a Beach Boys board, most people will recognize his name on the revised credits to Sail On Sailor...Other than that, the only other thing that is known to exist of his musical is a mythical songwriters demo LP that was sold on ebay once...would've been nice to snag it for $200:
http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4037944049

TANDYN ALMER (Los Angeles, CA)

"New Songs Of" 196  (Davon demo 2257)  [no sleeve] 

Songwriter's demo LP with unknown performers, showcasing recent compositions by mysterious Boettcher associate Almer, who wrote "Along comes Mary" for the Association, among other things. Includes "Menagerie of man", "Face down in the mud", "Sunset Strip soliloquy", "Alice Designs" and other promising titles. The latter was recorded by Pac NW band Mr Lucky & the Gamblers in early 1967, which may indicate a 1966 date for this demo album.
[http://www.lysergia.com/AcidArchives/lamaArchiveA.htm]

And then yeah, he obviously has notoriety for inventing "the Tandyn Slave-Master, a waterpipe that was described in the headshop classic A Child's Garden of Grass as "the perfect bong." Quite the dude, and as you may be able to tell, I am fairly obsessed with him...

harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2008, 08:44:14 AM »

Great to see Tandyn being discussed again. In addition to the above info, I have a songbook of Tandyn-composed tunes (mainly those included on the Davon publishers demo LP):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22035232@N07/2400334593/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22035232@N07/2401166944/
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2008, 10:17:05 AM »

In addition to the above info, I have a songbook of Tandyn-composed tunes (mainly those included on the Davon publishers demo LP)

Thanks, never seen this!

... co-wrote/produced Little Girl Lost-And-Found by The Garden Club with Larry Marks ...

Great little song in Curt Boettcher/Sagittarius-style. BTW, this song is available on Ruthann Friedmanīs CD "Hurried Life- Lost Recordings 1965-1971" (Water 185).

From the CD booklet: Tandyn Almer (the strange and brilliant) gave me the sheet music from his song "Along Comes Mary" which was an enormous hit for the Association. He had signed the front cover with the words... "to my female counterpart". How prophetic those words became.
A few weeks before the Association recorded "Windy" Tandyn asked me to do the vocals on a project he was working on with Larry Marks. "The Little Girl Lost And Found" is the result of that collaboration. It was released as performed by the Garden Club who existed in someoneīs pop imagination but actually was myself singing many voices (with the exception of Tom Shipley, half of the wonderful folk duo Brewer and Shipley, who lent a masculine tone in a few select places). Larry proceeded to speed the whole thing up a taste, which makes me sound a bit like Alvin and the Chipmunks, but as a whole it is a funny delightful way ... way ... way ... produced song that still gives me a chuckle.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2008, 11:33:02 AM »

Van Dyke Parks lent a hand in the production of Ruthann's 45 Carry On (Glittering Dancer) Reprise 0941

Watson, did you hear this?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx