gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:42:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Out In The Country  (Read 16390 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »

Out in the country where I'd rather be
grazing in the fields of yellow and green

Those sound like Al lyrics to me. He wants to graze in a field? What, does he want to be a cow? Then again, Brian was crazy, so maybe that reflected his sentiment at the time.  Musically that sounds like a Brian composition to me, especially the vocals at the end.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 01:01:55 AM »

Out in the country where I'd rather be
grazing in the fields of yellow and green

Those sound like Al lyrics to me. He wants to graze in a field? What, does he want to be a cow? Then again, Brian was crazy, so maybe that reflected his sentiment at the time.  Musically that sounds like a Brian composition to me, especially the vocals at the end.

If Brian can speak on behalve of a tree, and a 50+ Mike Love is allowed to sing on "summers of love" like he's 18.... than I assume Al has all the right to so speak out on behalve of a cow (or a horse for that matter)...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 07:49:41 PM »

Let's not forget about Carl singing on the LA Light album about a mammy who liked Shortnin' Bread.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 07:56:08 PM »

I'd put a small sum on it being Alan all the way through. Bruce doesn't have that kind of edge to his voice.
Not to say you're wrong, but I'm not so sure about that. There are certain words in the second half that have Bruce's inflection. I guess that's what you would call it. Also, the high voice in Be Here In The Morning, if it's Al, sounds very different to the high voice in Out In The Country.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 12:19:42 AM »

Bruce wasn't in the band during the CATP sessions, if this was actually recorded then. 

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 12:28:18 AM »

Bruce wasn't in the band during the CATP sessions, if this was actually recorded then.

Yes, he was.

http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs71.html
http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs72.html

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 08:56:50 AM »

Ten Years of Harmony was originally demo'd for CATP, wasn't it?
Anyway, it's Al.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 10:01:43 AM »

Absolutely he was.

But its Al.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »

1 - the AFM sheets place the song as recorded during these sessions (Feb 17 & 20)

2 - Bruce's last gig with the BB until 1978 was 4/2/72

3 - as it's not Bruce singing anyway, the point is moot.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »

Sorry guys!  From all accounts  I've read (there were some posts on this), Bruce was only on a few sessions for CATP.  He left the band before most of the album was recorded and wasn't pictured on the inner sleeve.

Fact is, we don't know if Bruce was even on this session, who wrote it, who played on it, who sang it (the end certainly has a Brian feel to it). I agree with AGD, it sounds like Al (and how could he not remember doing it).  

Maybe Howie needs to play the track for Al in person!  Sounds like Al could use another original track for his solo album.  Seems to fit the California coastal theme of many of the songs.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:46:33 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 10:03:48 PM »

It is Al, to my ears. The end is arranged by Brian. No idea who wrote it, my guess is Brian and Al.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »

It is Al, to my ears. The end is arranged by Brian. No idea who wrote it, my guess is Brian and Al.

Concur

Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 05:08:04 PM »

listening to this again. It is definitely Al singing lead and Brian Carl and Mike on backing
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:05 PM »

Recorded during the CATP sessions.

A full-on track was cut for this, too, at the same session as "Marcella" and something called "Body Talk".  Musicians present were Tandyn Almer, Ricky Fataar, Bruce Johnston, Tony Martin Jr., Brian Wilson, and Carl Wilson.  A few days later, banjo & strings (arranged by Tandyn Almer) were overdubbed.  Shame that version hasn't leaked out.  Don't know if it has vocals or not. 
Is the backing track the same one that did leak a few years ago on YouTube?

Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2017, 09:55:09 PM »

When was that leaked on YouTube ?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2017, 11:16:27 PM »

A few years ago. It wasn't sung by any member of the Beach Boys though. I can't remember the guy's name now.

Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2017, 11:27:43 PM »

I assumed this was also Don Goldberg?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2017, 11:28:21 PM »

There are 4 different versions,  3 of which were widely booted.  4th was played to me on the phone about 20 years ago by someone who has since passed on. I originally thought it was Brian but it's 99 percent certain to be Al

Edit

Correction. ..seems to be five (I forgot the one cman mentioned)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:56:32 PM by ♩♬☮ Bugs The Bunny ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2017, 12:33:38 AM »

5? I have heard two
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2017, 01:19:32 AM »

I think the more widely known version is sung by Al with a keyboard backing. I've heard two edits of this one. One is a short minute or so and fades out with the full group harmonizing. The other edit I've heard is about three minutes, give or take a minute. This edit features very short fragments of the song. It's like somebody is playing a tape and rewinding it, or fast forwarding it. I can't remember hearing any significant difference from the one(or one and a half) minute one with Al singing a few lines. The only other version I've heard is a full band version with Don Goldberg singing(which is no longer on YouTube).

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »

I think Jay is right.  I have heard precisely 3 versions: The 5 minute version, the edited down 1:30 version, and the Don Goldberg version.
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2017, 02:28:19 PM »

I have the Don Goldberg version on my hard drive. Why did he cover it though? He wrote Sweet And Bitter didn't he? So did he help Alan out with this tune, 'maybe. And is this Goldberg backing track A So Tough recording?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2017, 03:19:55 PM »

I have the Don Goldberg version on my hard drive. Why did he cover it though? He wrote Sweet And Bitter didn't he? So did he help Alan out with this tune, 'maybe. And is this Goldberg backing track A So Tough recording?
The way I understand it, the Don Goldberg version is a vintage Beach Boys backing track with a possibly vintage vocal from Don. But I don't know the story of exactly who he is, and how he became involved with the group.

Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »

i've gotta say i prefer the minute long Beach Boys version with the organ, if that was masted and released with the backing vocals brought up it would be gorgeous, clearly Carl, Brian and Mike and Al singing the backing vocals.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2017, 11:22:54 AM »

Don Goldberg offered a bit of background info back when he posted the songs. I don't remember the precise (limited) details, but I got the impression that they were mainly working on stuff for Goldberg, and presumably simply pitched him one of their songs. Somewhere in the process, he then had Mike cut a lead for a song he had written. Maybe it was kind of a reciprocal thing. They clearly didn't have a clear end game in mind, and ultimately there was no end game at all.

Supposedly, there are some BBs on instrumentation on the three tracks. But I don't think the "Out in the Country" backing track was a "Beach Boys backing track" in the sense that they had cut it potentially for the BBs. It sounds very different both from the older BB recording as well most of the stuff (save possibly "Cottonfields", and not even really that) the BBs were cutting and releasing at the time.

What also seemed apparent is that at some far later date, the tracks (most noticeably "Sweet and Bitter") had been overdubbed. It sounds to me like the overdubs are from the late 70s or early 80s, and almost certainly had no BB involvement. So it's unclear, even if some BB played on the backing tracks, what exactly remains of their performances.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx