gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:47:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Out In The Country  (Read 16412 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:57:03 PM »

Does anybody have any information on this song? It sounds like it's sung by Al and Bruce. The only instrument being played is a keyboard. The thing that interested me in it is that there is a short section that has the exact same chord change found in the song Oh Lord from the Cocaine Sessions.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 11:27:05 PM »

AGD's awesome site says it was penned by ( Alan Jardine?--obviously he isn't sure himself) and says the lead vocal is Alan.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 01:04:04 AM »

Recorded during the CATP sessions.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 07:58:48 AM »

Yeah, the lead vocal is just Al, to my ears. It sounds like Bruce at one point, but then again, during his career, Al's sounded just like every other Beach Boy but maybe Denny at one point or another.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 09:55:30 AM »

Recorded during the CATP sessions.

A full-on track was cut for this, too, at the same session as "Marcella" and something called "Body Talk".  Musicians present were Tandyn Almer, Ricky Fataar, Bruce Johnston, Tony Martin Jr., Brian Wilson, and Carl Wilson.  A few days later, banjo & strings (arranged by Tandyn Almer) were overdubbed.  Shame that version hasn't leaked out.  Don't know if it has vocals or not. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »

Would've been awesome if that song made it onto CATP. Since it didn't go onto Holland they should've brought it back out for the Caribou and/or 15BO sessions.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 10:42:05 AM »

Funny you should mention this. Earlier this week I asked Al about "Out In The Country" and he had no memory of it. I sang him a bit and he said that he definitely didn't write, it and suspected it was a Brian composition.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 10:56:01 AM »

Bear in mind that Alan was also convinced that "Honkin' Down The Highway" hadn't been released...  Roll Eyes

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 11:13:21 AM »

Bear in mind that Alan was also convinced that "Honkin' Down The Highway" hadn't been released...  Roll Eyes

haha! Has it been a while since Al looked at the tracklisting on Love You?! LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 11:25:07 AM »

Funny you should mention this. Earlier this week I asked Al about "Out In The Country" and he had no memory of it. I sang him a bit and he said that he definitely didn't write, it and suspected it was a Brian composition.

It is funny isn't it. Unless all the work on "Out In The Country" was done at Brian Wilson/non Al Jardine-attended sessions, which is entirely possible, how could Al have NO memory of it? Howie, what kind of singer are you? Grin   
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 11:30:07 AM »

It is funny isn't it. Unless all the work on "Out In The Country" was done at Brian Wilson/non Al Jardine-attended sessions, which is entirely possible, how could Al have NO memory of it? Howie, what kind of singer are you? Grin   

How could a non-Al-attended session be one where the song was worked on, when Al sang the lead vocal?

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 11:35:07 AM »

Maybe Al didn't write it, as he says, and therefore the writer, possibly Brian, was happy enough arranging and recording the song without him playing on the track. Al sings Then I Kissed Her, but I don't think he contributes to the tracking session.

Maybe Al was there, and didn't play anything, just supervised from the control room, and the AFM contract didn't credit him.

Maybe Al played the banjo overdub.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 11:44:33 AM »

I sing soft and sexy. I fight for success. I sound like Rocky Pamplin.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 11:46:44 AM »

How could a non-Al-attended session be one where the song was worked on, when Al sang the lead vocal?

Honestly, I've never heard the track, so I didn't want to assume that Al sang the song, not that I'm doubting the above posters who say that he did. But, hey, Al takes no backseat to anyone, including Brian Wilson, in the amount of totally head-scratching statements ever made.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 12:00:48 PM »

Honestly, I've never heard the track, so I didn't want to assume that Al sang the song, not that I'm doubting the above posters who say that he did. But, hey, Al takes no backseat to anyone, including Brian Wilson, in the amount of totally head-scratching statements ever made.

I'm actually listening to "Out In The Country" right now, and it sounds like Al singing to me.

"I can't see me hangin' round
Shuffling my feet through the same ragged town
All of this city life's gettin me down can't you see
Out in the country where I'd rather be
grazing in the fields of yellow and green
gotta keep movin on
this kind of life ain't for me"

Then Carl and and a couple other voices come in.
"ooooh
I've been livin'"
And a couple more lines all being sung at the same time.

It's a really pretty song. I think it would've made a good album opener had it been given more full-on production.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 12:09:18 PM »

How could Al not remember singing a line like that? It's not that he had an overwhelming amount of BB lead vocals. Heck, he probably wrote the lyric. Anyway...

Yeah, I'm for another song or two on CATP, an underrated album, like many BB albums, with a couple of more songs on it....
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »

I just relistened to the track, and I'm not SURE it's Al anymore. How does Tandyn Almer sound?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 01:50:16 PM »

Maybe Al played the banjo overdub.

Nope, Doug Dillard.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 08:09:53 PM »

Thanks for the info everybody.  Smiley

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 08:12:56 PM »

I'm actually listening to "Out In The Country" right now, and it sounds like Al singing to me.

"I can't see me hangin' round
All of this city life's gettin me down can't you see
Out in the country where I'd rather be
grazing in the fields of yellow and green
gotta keep movin on
this kind of life ain't for me"

Then Carl and and a couple other voices come in.
"ooooh
I've been livin'"
And a couple more lines all being sung at the same time.

It's a really pretty song. I think it would've made a good album opener had it been given more full-on production.
I've listened to this song a few times now, and I think that Al sings the first few lines, and then Bruce takes over starting on the line "Out in the country where I'd rather be....", untill the rest of the group comes in. You can listen to the track here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwBnn463MXA

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »

Thanks for the YouTube link, John. I never heard that song before; but I think it's good. I liked the Beach Boys' sound around that time.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 01:45:33 AM »

I'd put a small sum on it being Alan all the way through. Bruce doesn't have that kind of edge to his voice.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 03:42:03 AM »

I sing soft and sexy. I fight for success. I sound like Rocky Pamplin.

Wow!  Grin Do you look like Burt Reynolds, by the way?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 06:55:41 AM »

I asked Alan Boyd about this one via myspace a few months ago.  I assumed it was Bruce but he said it was indeed an Al tune. I wish they had finished that one.  It kinda sounded to me like it would have fit nicely on the Holland album. The version I have is on Landylocked.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 01:22:04 PM »

Where else might this song be?   
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx