gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:01:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Revelation re: Don't Go Near the Water  (Read 10653 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2008, 07:34:52 PM »

During the bridge, I always thought they were singing "aum diddy wadda", which is a common doo-wop nonsense phrase. However, it just hit me that maybe they're actually saying "aum dirty water", which, if so, is incredibly clever.

Does anyone else hear it?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 08:01:38 PM »

I've always assumed it was "ah-oom dirty water."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 03:51:01 AM »

For me it's revelatory. Never heard it that way. Now I hate the track.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 07:01:27 AM »

For a second I thought that the big secret was that Brian Wilson wrote the tune, then after the revelation everyone would start LOVING the track. Damn.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 07:09:08 AM »

The Standells.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 07:36:44 AM »

For a second I thought that the big secret was that Brian Wilson wrote the tune, then after the revelation everyone would start LOVING the track. Damn.

Actually, I think that WAS the intent of the group. I remember reading a quote somewhere, by Bruce Johnston, and I'm paraphrasing, "We were trying to fool the public that Brian was involved". And, "We were trying to emulate ourselves without Brian, which was silly".

I think it worked to some extent. I like "Don't Go Near The Water".

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 08:44:59 AM »

I also like DGNtW. Decent tune, EXCELLENT production and peformance.

Bruce surely was thinking about the authopsy of a 5 years old unfinished track... but you gotta wonder about the Brian Wilson credit for 'Take Good care of Your Feet'.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:17:03 AM »

Well, apparently Brian did all of the sounds effects on "Take a Load Off Your Feet". I'm not sure if that extends to the synthesized strings and other weird background instruments, though.
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »

interesting. it's a strange song. surf's up is my favourite album of theirs outside of pet sounds. so dark.
i was in a record store with a guy, and i found surf's up, so i asked him - hey, there's a beach boys album called Surf's Up, what do you think the cover is like? and he goes, i imagine them all with surfboards and like, a large arrow pointing "up". then i show him the surf's up cover. and he's like woah, is that even the same band? everything about that moment is what makes the beach boys so interesting.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 09:33:58 AM »

And, of course, it was Van Dyke Parks who suggested the album title, at least according to him.

I think if you replace "Take A Load Off Your Feet" with ANY Dennis Wilson song from that period, the album goes up one grade.
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 09:36:39 AM »

"student demonstration time" is odd. it is totally out of place but it works really well in the strangest way. gives it this unexpected edge.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 09:46:40 AM »

Well, apparently Brian did all of the sounds effects on "Take a Load Off Your Feet". I'm not sure if that extends to the synthesized strings and other weird background instruments, though.

Al and Gary WInfrey initially wrote "Feet", but later on Brian provided additional lyrics (probably the opening verse, which he sings) and helped with the melody (probably the bridge, which he also sings).  The songwriting credit on the LP's label and insert went to just Jardine/Winfrey, but Brian WAS cc-credited on the sheet music, and eventually the CD release.  He did do all of the sound effects on the track, as well as playing "drums" on an empty water bottle.  But the "synthesized strings" are actually real, live violas played by real, live musicians.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »

Ha. So they're real. I'm too used to my electronic keyboard, I think. They didn't quite have our technology then, did they?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 10:25:22 AM »

Ha. So they're real. I'm too used to my electronic keyboard, I think. They didn't quite have our technology then, did they?

They did have Mellotrons and Chamberlins, which used tapes of actual flutes & string instruments.  The violins on "Add Some Music To Your Day" are from a Chamberlin.  And the Spanish guitar intro on the Beatles' "Bungalow Bill" is reportedly from a Mellotron. 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 10:39:19 AM »

I wouldn't want "Feet" to be replaced by any other song, no matter which one. That one song adds some much-needed humor to an otherwise rather dark record and though I love the album's overall atmosphere, "Feet" really adds to its variety. Not even sure I would want to exclude Student Demonstration Time from the tracklist. That song sure is an important part of the BB's whole 70s output.

Sure, Surf's Up could've used a Dennis tune or two. Then again I actually like the Boys' early 70s records being so short and unpredictable. Like Carl And The Passions, which only features eight songs and yet is home to so many priceless "WTF, this is the Beach Boys?" moments (no matter if you appreciate that kind of mellow seventies rock or not).
They just should've released a couple more albums around that time/after Holland.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 10:40:27 AM by phirnis » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »

I wouldn't want "Feet" to be replaced by any other song, no matter which one. That one song adds some much-needed humor to an otherwise rather dark record and though I love the album's overall atmosphere, "Feet" really adds to its variety. Not even sure I would want to exclude Student Demonstration Time from the tracklist. That song sure is an important part of the BB's whole 70s output.

Sure, Surf's Up could've used a Dennis tune or two. Then again I actually like the Boys' early 70s records being so short and unpredictable. Like Carl And The Passions, which only features eight songs and yet is home to so many priceless "WTF, this is the Beach Boys?" moments (no matter if you appreciate that kind of mellow seventies rock or not).
They just should've released a couple more albums around that time/after Holland.

Something more in the vein of Holland, with "River Song", "Good Timin'", "I've Got A Friend", "Out In The Country", "Carry Me Home", "California Feeling", etc., would've been nice to put out instead of 15 Big Ones.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 11:40:13 AM »

They did have Mellotrons and Chamberlins, which used tapes of actual flutes & string instruments.  The violins on "Add Some Music To Your Day" are from a Chamberlin.  And the Spanish guitar intro on the Beatles' "Bungalow Bill" is reportedly from a Mellotron. 

That's true. In fact, when the guy who bought Lennon's mellotron at auction (presumably not the one McCartney has now, or the dude sold it on to Paul) apparently the Bungalow Bill tape was still "dialled up" in it. And I think that probably IS the last time the Beatles' used a mellotron.

I'd get rid of TALOYF from Surf's Up too. Partly a quality thing, but partly because it's a little earlier than the rest of the album. And 4th of July and Wouldn't I tBe Nice To Live Again would surely be better.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »

That's true. In fact, when the guy who bought Lennon's mellotron at auction (presumably not the one McCartney has now, or the dude sold it on to Paul) apparently the Bungalow Bill tape was still "dialled up" in it. And I think that probably IS the last time the Beatles' used a mellotron.

I'd get rid of TALOYF from Surf's Up too. Partly a quality thing, but partly because it's a little earlier than the rest of the album. And 4th of July and Wouldn't I tBe Nice To Live Again would surely be better.

Replace SDT with 4th of July and have WIBNTLA come after Surf's Up and close the album. And replace Disney Girls with Sound of Free and/or Lady (Fallin' In Love).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »

I'd replace TaLoYF with H.E.L.P. Even 'Games People Play'! 'Doctor Tom', anything! I hate TaLoYF.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »

I like it; it's SDT that bugs me, though it does rock and I like the sound--and can bear it.

The funny thing about Bruce's comment is: I wonder how many songsbruce worked on on Surf's Up?

I bet he didn't work on DITLOAT, Surf's Up, Feel Flows, and just a tiny bit on SDT and LPR.

I bet Brian's on the album more than Bruce.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 01:52:17 PM »

Bruce is one of only a few backing vocalists on Feel Flows. I'd imagine he's on Surf's Up too, at the end.

[And replace Disney Girls with Sound of Free and/or Lady (Fallin' In Love).

I'd keep Disney Girls; it's the acceptable face of schlockmeister Bruce.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 01:53:08 PM »

Oh.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »

Bruce did some additional vocal arrangements on "Surf's Up".

And awhile back, I burned myself a "Surf's Up Deluxe Edition" CDR by placing "Fourth Of July" in the lineup between "Disney Girls" and "SDT", and "Lady" (the stereo version from the Landlocked boot) between "Feel Flows" and "Welfare Song".  It makes for a very good listen.  Shame we don't have the BBs version of "WIBN To Live Again" for me to throw on there too!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 04:37:49 PM »

Still waiting for that Surf's Up DVD-A...
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »

Something more in the vein of Holland, with "River Song", "Good Timin'", "I've Got A Friend", "Out In The Country", "Carry Me Home", "California Feeling", etc., would've been nice to put out instead of 15 Big Ones.

i reckon that would have been less bizarre and interesting than 15 big ones though. 
when you think about it, there is absolutely no other record that sounds anything like it (and love you).
that 1976 left-hand turn into the freakish is another thing that makes them so interesting.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx