gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:33:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Bellyeare Music Festival 7/12/08  (Read 4746 times)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« on: October 16, 2008, 01:23:49 PM »

First of all, this was a ski resort and not really a concert venue, nor designed to pass as one. Basically, I was hanging out on a deck behind the bar with the band before the show, with Brian occasionally walking past us on his trips to and from his bus. You walk into the lodge place where the restaurant and bar is, and you see a stairwell going down to where the toilets are. There are two paper signs taped to the wall:

<-Brian Wilson Brian Wilson Band->

Brian got his own room, right next to the restaurant, guarded only by a young girl sitting on a stool outside the door. I guess they expect the band to get ready down in a lockeroom outside the toilet area. It was nutty.

Anyway, we're sitting out there on the deck, my wife is gauking at Scott Bennett, who's giving an in-depth interview to some cat. Nelson is walking around barefoot. Jeff is all over the place. I couldn't muster the courage to talk to Jeff, he seemed busy, but I probably should have. He might have been able to help me get my picture taken with BRian, which, I am sad to report, I failed to get yet again. But it wasn't all bad.

Nicky Walusko was in and out. I had trouble keeping up with him. Probyn was last to be spotted, and I go right up to him. I've talked to him before and he's easy to approach. I ask him about Drive In. He says, "I didn't see it on the set list, but there are gonna be some surprises in store." Only surprise for me was that the setlist was ACTUALLY EVEN SHORTER THAN THE PREVIOUS SHOWS! They dropped Caroline No/You're So Good To Me, which were some of the few songs I was actually looking forward to. I'm getting ahead of myself.

So I got my back to the tourbus area, which is right behind the giant tent where the concert was to take place, and people, this was a giant tent, nothing more. Rows of plastic chairs on blacktop with a giant white tent covering us. NOt that many rows of seats. Pretty small. THink Magical Mystery Tour. I guess its neat to see BRian in such a intimate setting, but I ask my self what the hell  is a legend like this playing at a giant white tent that is miles and miles from civilization?

Yeah, so my back is turned and I'm sitting at the picnic table with my wife when she says, "There he is!". Brian strolled along slowly, wearing a black button down shirt and black jogging pants with a white stripe, which he wore during the show too, and his sunglasses. I turned and watched him as he passed. I kept looking at him hoping he'd turn. He was 3 feet in front of me. Just before he disappeared around the corner, he finally turned. I raised hand and smiled. He saw this, smiled back and said "Hello". ANd that was all it took for me. I was a giddy mess after that. My wife would occasionally look at me and see I was in deep thought and would say "Stop thinking about Brian saying hi to you". I replayed it over and over. He had me at hello. He was friendly looking and gentlemanly and normal. I guess that was thrilling enough that I can forgive the short ass show.

They started at 8:15. Brian's first words to the crowd were, "What state are we in?" No one was sure how to answer, and didn't. Someone eventually clued Brian in that the town was called Highmount. He made up for it during the encores by saying "Thank you Hudson Valley!", which was close enough. DO It again, Catch a WAve, DAnce Dance Dance, etc. Brian's voice was very strong and on key. He had no prompters and only f***ed up once or twice. After the first song Brian had a coughing fit, which he cleared up on mic very loudly to the amusement of everyone. Early in the show Jeff had a technical problem so Brian pulled out the Row Row ROw Your Boat. He sang great, occasionally mustered a smile, but you know, he was like he always is, looking distracted, looking upset, looking like he was on another planet. He did sing good, though.

I was slightly irritated that the band left the stage after exactly 55 minutes. What the hell? THey came back, yeah, and did the hits encore, shared a story about sharing a plane with Chuck Berry, who's name Brian couldn't remember at first, then left again only to come back with Scott's "SOuthern California" song, which is my least favorite of all the new BW material. But whatever.

Brian wasted no time getting the hell out of dodge. I followed the tour bus all the way back to the thruway and then we parted. We had a good time. It was a slight let down, length wise, but mingling with the band and interacting with Brian was cool.

Setlist just like other nights, 'cept shorter:

Do It Again
Dance Dance Dance
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Surfer Girl
In My Room
Then I Kissed Her
All Summer Long
When I Grow Up To Be a Man
Add Some Music
Going Home
Do You Wanna Dance
California Girls
Sloop John B.
Wouldn't It Be Nice
God Only Knows
I Get Around
Help Me Rhonda
Good Vibrations

Johnny B. Goode
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun Fun Fun

Southern California

SG7
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 08:35:55 AM »

Great review Bubba. That tour felt very strange and last minute. I was at the show at Hampton Beach and that was a WEIRD place to see him as well.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 04:26:55 AM »

A SMiLE sign. Only one SMiLE song... well, um, Good Vibrations (a minor non-hit, added as an afterthought).

This is called discrepancy.

Just kidding. But being used to sold-out premières at the London RFH, your report really offers another insight to me.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 05:48:58 AM »

Uh, Brian's got a new bass?

When did they share a plane with Chuck Berry? Do you rememebr what they said about that meeting?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx