gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680772 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 01:03:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1985 shows & sessions  (Read 4443 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:42:51 PM »

... now up on Bellagio 10452.

The rest you know.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:27:16 PM »

If anyone knows any of the missing venues for those dates...speak up. Thanks
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 09:03:31 AM »

If anyone knows any of the missing venues for those dates...speak up. Thanks

ian,

the oct 2nd charleston wva show was held at the charleston civic center. i was there and carl rocked. he played all the leads that jeff usually did. was all over the stage with that guitar. never seen him live in concert like that. i wore a love you tee shirt given to me from the promotion of that lp. carl stared at that shirt the whole show. i was in the 3rd row right in front of him.
funny thing, the band was late. the concert was late in starting. they announced they were flying in from ga. but i see they played in ga after the charleston show. but that is what they announced as we waited for the show to start. guess it could have been a connecting flight. i taped it, the tape is somewhere, god only knows where, in my house.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:57:28 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 02:39:47 PM »

Thanks Steve- By the way 1986 is now up as well-check it out
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 03:34:12 PM »

I'm quite interested in Brians early solo career and there's a couple i've not heard on the 1986 list - Magic, All over me, Still I dream of you ('still I dream of it' with new lyrics I presume?), has anyone heard these?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:56:39 PM »

Thanks Steve- By the way 1986 is now up as well-check it out

ian,

the june 13th show in 1986 was at the amusement park called king's island which is just outside of cincinnati. the cincinnati part is missing. it was a good show. as usual i taped it. the group opened the show with good vibrations.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 06:44:59 AM »

Steve, I attended that Chas. WV show.   Opening act?  Three Dog Night.      They did She Believes in Love Again and introduced it as "our new single".  As I recall, the lighting was a bit much in the auditorium,  not dimmed enough
to set the stage lighting apart.

I also remember going there with a carload of people in my brother's powder blue 68 coupe deville....and it was really smokey in the car.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:31:27 AM »

I'd love to have a Love You shirt as well...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 10:16:44 AM »

Thanks AGD. The period in their history I know least about has to be the mid-'80s, as I was busy with 'extracurricular activities' (don't worry: I wasn't doing time, or on drugs; but I was in a sort of heavy post-punk/new wave era. Nice days. Husker Du, REM, JAMC, that kind of stuff).
I think I'm going to compile a list of the one-off appearances that Brian did with the Boys post-'85. Always when I thought: 'he must've said goodbye forever to them', I seemed to read another tiny clipping with: 'Brian played in Tuscaloosa's 'Impotent Bull' arena together with his band, the Beach Boys' (or something to that effect).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 12:43:44 PM »

Brian played a number of shows with the Boys in 1987-including filling in for Al on a tour when he got sick
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 12:05:23 PM »

Brian played a number of shows with the Boys in 1987-including filling in for Al on a tour when he got sick

Nice way of putting it, considering that Al wanted to be a dentist originally...

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 03:42:58 PM »

Apparently that's just a myth.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 03:13:05 AM »

Apparently that's just a myth.

Good point. I considered amending my message, but I found it quite funny when put this way. Ah, I am such a genius... although sometimes it's a tough cross to bear when one gets berated by lesser minds...    [total despair]symbol[/total despair].

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 05:38:45 PM »

Quote from: Steve Mayo
they announced they were flying in from ga. but i see they played in ga after the charleston show.

They were probably staying in Georgia and commuting to Charleston. Back in the '80s and early '90s, the BBs brought their families on tour with them and would base out of a major city in the area they were playing, flying to nearby towns to play. In the meatime, the equipment and the road crew went by truck and bus. The guitars flew with the band.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 12:35:16 AM »

they announced they were flying in from ga. but i see they played in ga after the charleston show.

They were probably staying in Georgia and commuting to Charleston. Back in the '80s and early '90s, the BBs brought their families on tour with them and would base out of a major city in the area they were playing, flying to nearby towns to play. In the meatime, the equipment and the road crew went by truck and bus. The guitars flew with the band.

Eh... care to elaborate? All Gibson 'V' axes?

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 06:49:01 AM »

thanks for the info emdeeh....23 years is a long time to remember everything that night plus all the brew on top of that..  Smiley
i was with some friends that night and do remember the part of them flying in from ga at that moment..why the show would be late....don't remember if they said why but we thought maybe it was from an earlier show......and after 23 years i don't remember what was listed in bbfun and to lazy to look it up.
you are probably right though..and thanks again and hi once again...  Smiley

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 10:25:28 AM »

Maybe thats why i remember the lights being bright in Charleston......we were in a lighted auditorium waiting for the band to arrive.........paper cup of warm light beer in hand....
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 08:58:55 AM »

There is a glitch on the 1983 page. I can't get to 1984 from there.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 11:38:41 PM »

Sorted.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx