gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:24:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Radiant Radish Photos  (Read 28315 times)
tomstuart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 02:10:05 AM »

There's a fantastic cocktail bar in Leeds in the UK - it's full of B&W photos of rock and pop stars, the largest of which is Brian in his bathrobe, strolling down the aisle of the Radiant Radish. Damn, wish i could remember the name of the bar, it'll come to me...
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 02:06:35 AM »

anybody have that linked photo? doesn't work anymore.  And that's a fun pic i wanna see!

Try this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UInvQmRuQ9k/S5oR6faEfwI/AAAAAAAAAXY/5NdvS3-DoZ4/s1600-h/radiant+radish.jpg

I love this photo and even painted it for a project when I was at art college!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:07:46 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 08:34:10 AM »

oh yeah, that one! awesome and thanks. 

John B Sails
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 10:08:42 AM »

Hey guys! I finally have something to contribute to this thread. After literally years of on and off searching for more info on The Radiant Radish (one of the most interesting and least discussed aspects of Brian Wilson's dark period IMHO), I have finally found one.

This is The Radiant Radish, as it sat on the corner of San Vicente and Melrose in 1969: http://oi39.tinypic.com/2vkcak1.jpg

I came across this photo in, of all places, a cook book that included a recipe for Radiant Radish Guacamole.

Hopefully this is new, and you're all as excited about this as I was. And then we'll have world peace  Wink
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 11:16:08 AM »

Hey guys! I finally have something to contribute to this thread. After literally years of on and off searching for more info on The Radiant Radish (one of the most interesting and least discussed aspects of Brian Wilson's dark period IMHO), I have finally found one.

This is The Radiant Radish, as it sat on the corner of San Vicente and Melrose in 1969: http://oi39.tinypic.com/2vkcak1.jpg

I came across this photo in, of all places, a cook book that included a recipe for Radiant Radish Guacamole.

Hopefully this is new, and you're all as excited about this as I was. And then we'll have world peace  Wink

Hey, not bad for a first post, John! In all my 41 years as a fan, I've never seen this picture. Not in books, magazines, not anywhere.

The picture for the '71 Rolling Stone Tom Nolan article was taken inside this building. The sidewalk on the corner looks higher than the store front! The business didn't last very long.

"I can't sell you vitamin B-12".

- Brian Wilson

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 11:53:51 AM »

Fantastic photo! First I've ever seen the exterior. Many, many thanks for sharing that photo!

Based on my calculations and help from Google, the first is a modern approximation of the original photo and the second is a shot of what business is on that location now, something called "Relax The Back" which appears to sell mattresses or bedding. San Vicente and Melrose, West Hollywood. I hope my calculations are correct...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »

Let's go in there with dangerous weapons, demanding they play "Take A Load Off Your Feet" on a loop for all eternity in tribute to Brian.

By dangerous weapons, I mean cardboard paper towel rolls and stuff.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »

Let's go in there with dangerous weapons, demanding they play "Take A Load Off Your Feet" on a loop for all eternity in tribute to Brian.

By dangerous weapons, I mean cardboard paper towel rolls and stuff.

Yeah! Lets get some spoiled vega-tables and heave them in their general direction.  Dem veggies will stink the place out and then we can plan our great takeover!  Evil  Wink

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »

I never knew it was a corner lot.  Maximum foot traffic.  I heard it never made money.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »

Post the guac recipe!

No mas, por favor.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »

Post the guac recipe!
Yes please do! I can see this being the next obscure Beach Boys thing I bring in to our daily life that my wife will be rolling her eyes over!  Cheesy

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
John B Sails
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »

Haha I thought that might be the next request.

Radiant Radish Guacamole
1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
2 large radishes, finely chopped
2 green onions, both white and green parts, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Mash the avocado with the radishes, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a small bowl.
Serve with warm Blue Corn Nachos (a different recipe).

On a side note, I have been to the RELAX THE BACK shop that sits there now. They sell computer chairs, massage chairs, and similar ergonomic things. I meant to ask the owner if he knew the history, but he got a phone call, and was on the phone the whole time I was there. Me and my girlfriend were the only other people in the whole store. A very haunting old style shop, with stairs that go up to an even eerier top floor; but from what I understand, the original building that was The Radiant Radish was demolished, and this one was built in its place.
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »

Amazing photo, thanks so much for posting. And for the recipe!

And the title of the cook book was....?
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 02:23:55 PM »

I'll definitely try that recipe, sounds interesting!

BTW, hope you don't mind that I stole the picture for my avatar. If so, let me know and I'll change it.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »

Amazing photo, thanks so much for posting. And for the recipe!

And the title of the cook book was....?

googling.... 

http://books.google.com/books?id=SOzvp2EWwqEC&pg=PT169&lpg=PT169&dq=Radiant+Radish+Guacamole

( Hollywood Dish by Akasha Richmond)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »

How long was Brian involved with the Radient Radish ?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »

Brian Wilson -

"For one year [1969] I owned a health food shop I called the Radiant Radish. I spent too much money on produce, there wasn't much money coming in and we went bankrupt. But that was a great name."

The store might have been open for a little longer than a year, because the Tom Nolan interview (with picture taken of Brian in the Radish) was published in Rolling Stone in 1971.

Brian supposedly would often open the store at various different times of the day, sometimes in the early hours of the morning, just wearing pajamas. Another reason it closed was 'rumored' to be the owner's lack of business skills, and perhaps the failure to order new stock. If you listen to the end of the song "H.E.L.P Is On The Way", you can here someone (Brian?) say "Radiant Radish".
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:22:28 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2011, 12:52:37 AM »

I've been waiting a long time for such a picture - thanks a lot for sharing!  Cheesy I love the "Radiant Radish" sign.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 01:04:39 AM »

How long was Brian involved with the Radient Radish ?

To at least spring 1971 - there's an interview with Dennis where he's eating stuff from the RR.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »

I see him in that photo and think "if only someone had given you the medical help you needed in 1969".

We would have probably heard music that continued to push the boundaries of pop production for another 25 years.

The world missed out.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:24:52 AM by lunarjetman » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2011, 11:20:53 AM »

Check it out...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:24:19 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »

Check it out...

That's cool- are they available in a bigger size  What is the source ?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »

Imagine being able to walk into a store and see Brian working there! I would shop there every day!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2011, 01:19:54 PM »

I see him in that photo and think "if only someone had given you the medical help you needed in 1969".

We would have probably heard music that continued to push the boundaries of pop production for another 25 years.

The world missed out.

I think he just wanted to chill out and work at a health food store. Mildly eccentric, maybe (maybe!), but I don't think it has anything to do with his mental illness.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2011, 07:33:18 PM »

Check it out...

Is Dennis behind the register?  Can't tell due to the size, but it looks like it could be him.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx