gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680997 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 07:08:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Star  (Read 4085 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:51:55 AM »

Yes. Big Star. What of them? I have the first 3 LPs (as in: vinyl) and I adore them. Moreover: I find 3rd/Sister Lovers a grand failure (i.e.: not a miserable failure, but a piece of art that falls apart. The rot's set in on the spot. Or something). Whether it's September Gurls or Jesus Christ, it's amazing stuff.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:01:58 AM »

I like Big Star--even love them every now and again, when the stars align just so. But sometimes I think their cult is a bit too big for its britches. I wonder if that comes from someone like me, only 32 and having discovered them long after a few generations of their descendants had already put out the music they had put out, just seeing them in only hindsight. Guitar-heavy, muscular pop (power pop, if you prefer) was always a fact of life for me. I didn't have to suffer through an endless barrage of singer-songwriters or ex-hippies or early prog-rockers. If I had discovered Big Star in the midst of that, I might feel more strongly about them. Instead, I knew them to be canonical before even hearing them.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:58:57 AM »

I like them but having read a lot about them before I was expecting them to be a lot more than they are and as such it took me quite a few years to really get into them.
I suppose it is all about context in a way - they set the tone (among others) for a lot of 80s and 90s guitar led indie pop and if I had been alive in the early 70s and wanted to hear a bit of that sort of thing they may have been right up my street.
That said I do enjoy the production on their records, they don't really sound dated at all.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »

Yes. Big Star. What of them? I have the first 3 LPs (as in: vinyl) and I adore them. Moreover: I find 3rd/Sister Lovers a grand failure (i.e.: not a miserable failure, but a piece of art that falls apart. The rot's set in on the spot. Or something). Whether it's September Gurls or Jesus Christ, it's amazing stuff.

Excellent band I'd say, "Third/Sister Lovers" is on par, in terms of mood/vibe, with records like "The White Album", Neil Young's "Tonight's The Night", Nick Drake's "Pink Moon" and even Skippy Spence's "Oar" - dark, destructive, miserable at times, but never boring or bland. The sound of things falling apart. Interesting.

How about Chris Bell's sole solo album "I Am The Cosmos"? You should really check that out if you haven't already. Proves that Big Star wasn't just Alex Chilton's band. Chilton's solo albums (the ones I have) are pretty much hit and miss.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 02:48:31 PM »

"Third/Sister Lovers" is my favorite, just a great little album, completely freaked out. "Thank You Friends" is my favorite. Big Star, though, I fear are a tad overrated. You know, I've never warmed to the song "Thirteen," even though everyone seems to like it.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:06 PM »

I've never heard Third/Sister Lovers, but have the first two on a twofer and think it's great. Especially No.1 Record. I agree, they are really well produced records!

They remind me of life when I was growing up in a way I can't quite put my finger on. They are quite a bit older than me(I'm 37), but there is some indescribable flavor in their music that I remember from my youth, and few bands do that kind of thing to me.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 01:44:10 AM »

I've never heard Third/Sister Lovers, but have the first two on a twofer and think it's great. Especially No.1 Record. I agree, they are really well produced records!

They remind me of life when I was growing up in a way I can't quite put my finger on. They are quite a bit older than me(I'm 37), but there is some indescribable flavor in their music that I remember from my youth, and few bands do that kind of thing to me.

I love your second paragraph. I have the same feelings with some bands. Hüsker Du's 'Warehouse, Songs And Stories' is a case in point. Or early REM (REM more or less ended for me with 'Document'. 'The End Of The World' heralded The End Of REM as an intimate, mystical band, and paved the way to stadiums).

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 10:01:55 PM »

Strange, early REM and Husker DU(and Big Star) give me this exact same feeling. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:03:11 PM by lance » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 03:47:24 AM »

Strange, early REM and Husker DU(and Big Star) give me this exact same feeling. 

Can you mail me a sample of your DNA? My dad was a truck driver and got around a lot.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 09:39:11 PM »

Don't like 'em.

I find myself disappointed with most power pop that claims to be influenced by my favorite bands from the 60's. Some catchy tunes but they always lose me. Probably because the songs are so cloying.

One power pop band I like is Cheap Trick and their cover of 'In The Street' rules.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:40:15 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx