gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:59:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds DCC Gold CD?  (Read 3355 times)
jiggityjars
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:50:15 AM »

Does anyone out there have a copy of the Pet Sounds DCC Gold CD they'd be willing to sell? Or know of a good place to buy?

To date, the best sounding version of Pet Sounds I've heard was a cassette copy of my dad's vinyl copy, complete with scratches. I've read that the DCC Gold CD comes closest to that warm vinyl sound, and I've just had it with the sound of all of the CD versions (I think I pretty much have them all except the Gold disc). If you can help me out, please PM. Thank you!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 06:53:28 AM »

I can help you out with a good CDR copy of that gold CD. The sound is great. Thing is: you'd have to wait for a month or so (house is in disarray because of changes and collections are stored away). PM me if interested.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:16:32 AM »

Try ebay - it comes up not infrequently and you can usually get one for $40-$50.  If that's too steep for you, go the copy route.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:33:11 AM »

BTW: I am thinking of my 1972 LP copy of Pet Sounds, on WB/Reprise. Probably Warner's decided, after Carl & the Passions/Pet Sounds, to release Pet Sounds again, this time in a brown sleeve with a different typeface compared to the Cooper Black of the original.
At any rate: this one is in true, analogue, glorious mono, and in my opinion the best vinyl edition ever.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 12:26:03 PM »

1974 - May, to be more precise. Brother-Reprise MS 2197

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »

Hey DON...CDR copy please...Ill send ya something ya might like
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »

I think the best vinyl PS I've heard is the 2fer reissue with Carl and the Passions.  Haven't heard the single LP reissue however.  The 2fer version blows away the original Capitol vinyl IMO.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 03:31:43 PM »

I recently acquired a circa-1980 Capitol "green label" issue of the Pet Sounds LP.  I was surprised to find the first track in mono (I believe someone on this board at one time stated it was in duophonic because the master tape had been damaged at Warner's.) 

In comparing this issue to the Carl & Passions 2-fer, I found the Capitol issue to be rather compressed.  The Warner Brothers issue seems to be quite un-compressed... at times it seems a bit too un-compressed.  But it does seem to be the best sounding vinyl issue out there.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 01:38:54 AM »

1974 - May, to be more precise. Brother-Reprise MS 2197

Thanks AGD, as ever. Hadn't played it for a long time and it's out of reach at the mo.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 04:37:31 PM »

Is this the one you are looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000016W/ref=sr_1_olp_11?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1224200092&sr=1-11

There are several available, in varying conditions, for a variety of prices.  Some are even listed as new!

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 07:28:51 PM »

I recently acquired a circa-1980 Capitol "green label" issue of the Pet Sounds LP.  I was surprised to find the first track in mono (I believe someone on this board at one time stated it was in duophonic because the master tape had been damaged at Warner's.) 

In comparing this issue to the Carl & Passions 2-fer, I found the Capitol issue to be rather compressed.  The Warner Brothers issue seems to be quite un-compressed... at times it seems a bit too un-compressed.  But it does seem to be the best sounding vinyl issue out there.

Interesting that your green label has the first song in mono...  That must mean side 1 of your copy was taken from the East Coast tape (which could explain the compression?).

My opinion: if you have a really nice vinyl rig the DCC LP is the one to get.  If you have a more modest system, then go with the CATP version.
jiggityjars
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »

Thanks to all for your replies. I definitely learned a great deal about the different versions of Pet Sounds that are out there. I do have the CATP version of Pet Sounds on LP, but my vinyl setup is seriously lacking. Thanks to mypetsounds for linking the Amazon CD's for sale. Those are all a bit out of my price range, so I may take up The Heartical Don on his offer.

Anyway, thanks again.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx